Gentleman be prepared for a potential defensive draft selection with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Feb 27, 2014.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm all for offensive explosiveness. I'm an absolute strong believer that we are in desperate need of offensive weapons, at WR, TE, OL and even QB for good measure. So my heart and brain sympathizes with the many TGG writers that would shit a ten pound brick if we went defense.

Having said that, I see this draft a bit different than years past. I might be naive in thinking so, but this year's draft provides us with a deeper pool of offensive talent equally distributed across at least the first five rounds, and as a result , an opportunity to be very selective with the first two picks while other team hopefully will overreach on Offense. BPA is the name of the game for us this year...again.

By selective I mean there are probably 2 QBs, 3WRs, 1 TE. 2-3 OL, 2-3 DL, 2 LBs, and maybe a Safety that are in the running for the first top picks before the Jets are on the clock. Some of you draft experts can pick every one of these much better than I. After that the field begins to bunch up and the separation across the first 3-4 rounds becomes much more narrow and far more subjective.

If one was to look at the teams drafting in front of us based purely on need, is not too farfetched to think that they might overreach a bit for offensive weapons they desperately need, much like ourselves, and promptly take 3-4 QBs off the board, a TE or two, perhaps as many as 4 WR, not to mention at least 3 or 4 OL. The likelihood that a stud defensive player is there at 18th, seem to me far higher than for a stud Offensive player.

If this were to happen then the opportunity that someone like Gilbert, Khalil Mack, D Dennard and or Anthony Barr out of UCLA could drop through the cracks just enough to hit us at 18th is high. If that was the case it would be wise for us not to pass up such talent for a WR like Benjamin, Cook, Mathews or Robinson. Not that I don't value them, but its far more conceivable that one or more of those WR will be waiting for us in the second round.

Frankly I would be happy with a defensive player under this circumstances and then load up with offense in the later rounds. Conversely if Watkins or Evans or may be Lee are still there it would be a slam dunk.

God I can wait for the draft

2. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I just posted about this in the just a thought thread. I want this offense to have as many weapons as the next guy but we're in the BPA business this offseason. It all depends on how the draft goes down. I'm thinking Ebron, Watkins and Evans will be off the board same might be the case for Marquise Lee.
    If Rex and Idzik thinks they can find a star they can't pass. Maybe they'll give the secondary a boost with a Ha-Ha Dixon, Calvin Pryor, Dennard, maybe Gilbert if he makes it to 18. They could also fall in love with a pass rusher like Kony Ealy or Dee Ford.
    If there's no top offensive options it'd be great if our draft looked like:
    #18 -top defensive player available
    #49- WR Jarvis Landry
    #80- TE Troy Niklas
    and just fill needs and find solid NFL players with the rest of the picks.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuckin NFL Draft. A million different ways to look at it and yet every way seems the right way.

I give up lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I could very easily see the Jets going defense with the first pick. We all know that Rex loves him some CBs. Gilbert would be an awesome player for the Jets. I can just hear some Jets fans now grousing about how the Jets took CBs in the first round in successive years and for the 4th time over the last 7-10 years. LOL

If Mack or Barr fell, I could see the Jets sprinting to the podium to hand in their card. I could also see them taking Ford or maybe even Ealy, although I don't think he's nearly the prospect these others are. They might even surprise and go for Pryor, although that would be a huge surprise to me, as Rex doesn't seem to value safeties, and there should be higher ranked players available, so I can't really see Idzik going there..

5. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

This thread makes me think of Peyton Manning as your quarterback, with literally every offensive weapon you could want, and still only putting up 8 points in the biggest game of the season. I think we will look to upgrade the offense in free agency with experienced players such as James Jones, McCluster, or Emmanuel Sanders and then maybe end up with a top defensive player for our first rounder. C.J. Mosley, Justin Gilbert, Anthony Barr I think are likely to fall. Either way I just hope we do enough scouting to pick a guy that's going to come in and do what we expect him to.

6. Falco21

It's amazing when you look at it. The Jets have not drafted offense in the first round since 2009 when the took the beloved Mark Sanchez.

I can see them going defense again for sure. But I can also see them going offense.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It would be sheer insanity if this FO doesn't draft a WR or TE @ 18

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's no way in hell they go defense in Round 1. There will be a mutiny and given the current state of the team it just doesn't make sense not to address the weakest area with top, young, inexpensive talent. Can address D in 2nd or 3rd as it's very deep draft.

9. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

If Barr falls to 18 you take him and you never look back (only offensive weapon I'd take ahead of him is Watkins.). If the FO is intent on cutting Cromartie than I'd be fine taking Dennard (who would be fantastic in our system).

We need help in the offensive skill positions, but you don't skip blue chip talent (in positions of need) for second tier talent. Especially in a deep draft where a very good WR or TE will be available in the 2nd round.

10. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

This draft is much deeper at WR and TE than any other position. Ideally we get a top tier WR/TE, but that won't address our need there for next year regardless. Give me Barr and a 2nd rd wr + wr free agent all day.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If we can get top tier talent on offense it will help our offense sustain some drives put up points and give the defense a rest.

It cannot be all defense, especially if the next BPA is a CB and he ends up struggling like milliner did.

We have to help this team out by drafting offense. If we want the jets to move from 8-8 to the next level, the jets must draft offense, it's the only way they will get to the next level.

12. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Really going out on a limb there. Guess that eliminates a kicker or a punter in round 1.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I really, really want us to go offense but if there is an absolute stud on defense that falls to us, especially a LB or S (preferably FS) then I won't mind so much. If they pick another damn CB or a DL or something I will flip out though. Sure CB is a need, especially if/when Cro is cut, but not such a high need that they need to spend a 1st round pick on it.

Unless Watkins, Ebron, Lee, Evans and maybe Benjamin are off the board I think we either go offense or trade back.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would be more insane to draft a WR if the talent that was left on the board was 2nd round quality.

I think the prospects of an OT or defensive player on 18 are fairly high at this point. The draft is set in a way that a few QB's are likely to go higher than where they ought too. There are several WR's and maybe one TE that are going to jump off the board. It's very possible that a top 10 OT is going to fall to the Jets alongside a bunch of top 40 WR's. Which one of those guys does a good team take? The OT every time.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Red Menace

I thinks your assessment is correct, my fear is that there is going to be more than the OT at 18, I think there will be top talent left on the board at 18, and that presents a problem for a team that has as many holes to fill as the jets do.

I think there will be good players at OT, S, DB and OLB at 18, who would you choose?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Where they are slated to pick, it doesn't make much sense to go defense am I right?

Unless someone big falls I suppose, but isn't the range of the Jets selection an area where the best players available are mostly offensive players? (I could be wrong - feel free to educate me if so)

17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Anything is possible when you are drafting BPA, but our needs match up nicely with the depth areas in this draft. I think it's highly like we take a WR in round 1.

18. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Let's just hope they don't go special teams first round.

19. Falco21

Just as Br4dw4y said, we can't just look to draft a WR if the WRs left are all second round talent, which is very likely. Just as Idzik did last year, you create a board with your top choices just solely based on talent. You pick the most talented player available. I can guarantee you, the first couple of players will be offensive on their board, but I can also guarantee you those said players will probably be gone by our pick. I can definitely see us getting a top OLB, S, etc. Great teams draft talent, not based on needs. We need all the talent we can get.

We all need to realize also that we are completely desperate at WR, because we haven't hit free agency yet. After free agency if we sign a couple big names, suddenly our WR core doesn't look as bad. One step at a time. Let's see who we snag come March 11th

20. Red Menace

That was funny, I think those days are over...