How much to keep Holmes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GriffDog, Feb 15, 2014.

1. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I know everyone's going to have a knee jerk reaction to this but try to think it through first.

Holmes will be cut but says he wants to remain a Jet. Holmes came off a bad lisfranc injury last year and was never really part of the team this year. We all know all the reasons of why we should cut him and let him walk.

However, the WRs we are looking to get are guys that can flourish in MM west coast offense. Players that can make quick slants and YAC. We need WRs that can get quick separation on quick throws and wideouts that can stretch the field. People are screaming for Maclin and I would love him too but Holmes has similar qualities, could come cheaper and like it or not does have the talent when healthy.

So if we can bring him back for 2 years/7 million (3.5 per year) would you be willing to sign him again?

Now say we sign another cheaper weapon with Dexter Mcluster as well a perfect for MM offense.

Now if you wanted Ebron in the first and can land Benjamin/Mathews in the second your offense weapons would look like.

WR- Holmes, Hill
    WR-Benjamin/Mathews, Nelson
    Slot-Kerley, Mcluster
    TE- Ebron, sudfeld, Patale

We would be able to have a good amount of money left for Byrd, Ward or another top end Free Agent.

I know everyone hates Holmes but Idzik is going to be thorough through this whole process and he is going to sit down and look hard at what he has with Holmes and if he can keep him for cheap.

What do you guys think? There is a price where keeping him makes sense for the team.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2 yrs 6mil. 2mil 2013 base guarenteed if on the roster opening day. 4 mil next year with a roster bonus and workout bonuses making up 50% of that.
    o.p. is right, when/if healthy holmes can be effective. we can still add a tate/sanders /maclin /nicks/mcluster, resign cumberland and be sitting in a good spot to take bpa on the 18

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i like the thought of pairing a Sanders/Maclin/Jones with McCluster. have been suggesting that as those 2 moves would not break the bank, and would provide a nice boost to the offense and ST.

But Holmes at 3.5mil? why? maybe Sanders will cost closer to 5mil, but not the other 2. So for the same money I'd move on. If Holmes was coming cheaper, like 2.5mil per, then i'd consider it. But Holmes would never take a deal like that. He's as good as gone imo.. and maybe that is for the best.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Good player and hands but his time is done. We can use that cap space on a more reliable option.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He's just about done. Physically he doesn't have it anymore.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Vet min or else.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

fuck holmes................

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Holmes may still have some fuel in the tank. He came back from a devastating injury that ends careers. Last year I don't think he was ever 100%. He should get an incentive laden deal that could get him 7-8 mil if he returns to form. If not, we move on.

And lets not forget that people are interested in Hakeem Nicks when he had ZERO TDs last year. Holmes played 4 less games than Nicks, banged up all year, had half the targets, with a struggling rookie (instead of 2x Superbowl MVP) throwing him the ball, and he at least scored a TD as well as higher YPA. I'd much rather keep Holmes then sign Nicks. Holmes is under rated because of who has thrown him the ball.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If he's somewhere near the vet min I'd take a chance. I doubt he's ever the receiver he was prior to the injury due to the nature of his game and his age. I'd much rather go with other options.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

McCluster is a favorite of mine, I love the thought of having him here.

I was pretty high on seeing if we can get Holmes to stay on a very low contract. I think he can still contribute.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

2 mil per year with incentives such as no piss tests for pot without 1 month prior warning.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

How much to never see have to see him again?

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

why do fans always want to bring back guys whose time is done and that have been less than exceptional?

why? it happens constantly and its annoying. no i dont want to bring braylon edwards back, no i dont want to bring santana moss back, no i dont want to bring mark sanchez back, no i dont want to bring santonio holmes back.

it just rarely happens and when it does it even more rarely works. laveranues coles is one of only a few i can think of that this even happened or worked out.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Has to be dirt cheap. We should still sign Maclin/Sanders/Jones and draft a WR IMO.

15. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

There are probably 100 WRs in the NFL right now that are better than Santonio Holmes.

16. Thrilla In Manila

Thrilla In Manila New Member

He will count 2.5 million against the cap if cut. It would be a smart move for the Jets to give him a one year deal at 2.5 million. To make Holmes happy guarantee it. The only loss here is a roster spot. No cap impact. Even if we sign some great WRs in FA he would still be an asset.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i tend to agree with you. although i wouldn't mind Cotchery on the cheap, paired with another signing. looked healthy and spry for first time in awhile this season. also had good production in the red zone. veteran depth at the position for 1-2 years wouldn't hurt (unlike diva depth aka Holmes), while we develop some young guys..

18. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Holmes has a bad attitude and isn't particularly talented at this point. I'm sick of him anyway.

rsmehta likes this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is a good post and I agree. If he doesn't wanna sign at 2.5 for what he would be cut for then let him go.

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This.

Time to close the chapter and move on. Not that he won't contribute but better to get rid of a figure who doesn't contribute much on or off the field.