How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

Anyone see Bortles falling to 18? Feel like the kid is the next Roethlisberger and would be great in green and white. It's a longshot, but if he's there and most of the WR/TE's are gone I say we go for it.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

No chance he falls to 18... There is talk he might go #1 overall because he torched Penn st and he is a O'Brian prototypical QB.. Big, strong arm and tough.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow. Now I've seen it all. Thankfully, I'm sure that Idzik won't be making a move like that.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Any of the three top QB's could slide down to us. It's unlikely that Bridgewater gets down that far but I wouldn't be surprised at anybody else who slid down.

Derek Carr could turn out to be high on one of the QB teams lists and cause a major drop by one of the other QB's.

Johnny Manziel could make most of the teams evaluating him queasy because he's a sophomore with maturity issues.

Blake Bortles could turn out to be a 2nd round QB getting hyped now but ready for a big fall on draft day.

We just don't know how all of this is going to play out.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I believe in Geno, I really do. I think the kid is going to be a very good QB, but if one of the top prospects slip and are available to us I just don't see a downside to taking them.

I think that more then bringing in a veteran stop gap to compete with Geno, would light a bigger fire under his ass.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Or, SG3, he could take the best player at 18 and if it's one of the QBs he'll be better than Geno and we'll be off and running.

Btw, Mitch Dumstein, your past posting style is starting to show- be careful or the mods are going to catch you.

_

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is all we can ask for, and based on last year what we can expect

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

As much as I like Geno, if Teddy slips to the 18th pick the Jets can't pass on him.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't think anyone would disagree with this.

10. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I think this attitude is nonsensical. Do you really think that Geno is not working as hard as he can to learn and improve? Yes, there have been a few chowderheads in NFL history like Ryan Leaf and maybe Sanchez, but in general, QBs bust their behinds. I can't believe I keep seeing Jets fans and the media talking about getting competition for Geno at QB.

Unless a team has no talent at all at the QB position, or perhaps has already drafted another QB as a backup and that backup develops into a potential starter, there is NEVER competition at the QB spot on teams, and for good reason. It divides the team. Players wind up taking one side or the other, and eventually, usually sooner rather than later, the losing QB gets traded. It also hurts whoever winds up winning the competition because he didn't get enough reps and then his timing is probably off with his receivers.

Look at the other 31 teams. You won't see any QB competitions. You see one QB anointed as the starter and he is given most of the reps.

Geno and the Jets don't need a QB competition, they just need a solid veteran backup.

#210 NCJetsfan, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. NCJetsfan

Br4dw4y5ux would. :wink:

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'd be lovely having Geno Smith and Geno Smith + 5% competing for the job. At least we'd have consistency of effort at QB and a better chance that one of them would turn into a really good NFL QB.

I'd take Lee or Evans on the 18 over Bridgewater every time. I'd take Bridgewater over a lesser prospect every time.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

:up::up::up::up::up:

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Good call. Wait for it.

Thank the Lord John Idzik is the GM.

_

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

16. Jersey Joe 67

That's just asinine.
    You never pass up on a top prospect at the QB position, especially when you're not 100% set at that position.
    Geno is a 2nd round pick and there isn't a ton invested in him. You can't let a guy pass you by if he's rated high on your draft board.
    Disagree 100%

17. NCJetsfan

That's not the comment I was responding to. Don't bait and switch. I was responding to your "competition" comment, and just bringing in competition doesn't mean that the guy you're bringing in is a topflight prospect. Apples and oranges or Apples and Broccoli, two totally different things.

If you had said something about not passing up on a top prospect at QB, then I would have agreed. Until you have your franchise QB, you never stop looking for him or drafting QBs. If Teddy Bridgewater fell to #18, I'd want Idzik to take him 10 times out of 10, 11 out of 10 if he could figure out a way to do it.

18. Jersey Joe 67

My original comment was if one of the top prospects slip to us, and no matter what the Jets are bringing in someone to compete with Geno.

19. NCJetsfan

This is what I was responding to. IMO you made it sound like competing with Geno was the main reason to draft a rookie QB (because Geno needs a big fire lit under his ass). I like Geno too and believe him to be a hard worker. I don't think he needs a fire lit under him. Are there QBs better than him in the draft, yes probably. I definitely think that Teddy is better. With the others it remains to be seen. I think the only other two who could be better than Geno are Carr and Garoppolo.

I wasn't picking on you. I have seen that comment about competition or lighting a fire under Geno made tons of times this offseason by Jets fans and media alike, and I just think it's ridiculous. I think he's already working as hard as he can. Having less reps will only hurt, not help him. One of the problems he had last season was that he was splitting reps with Sanchez and Simms and then hardly ever had the same group of WRs and TEs to work with.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Hey it's all good, no worries. That's what this is about, a good debate.
    I just don't think the powers that be are sold on Geno and don't want to put all their eggs in his basket.
    I think they're going to want someone to jump in if the turnovers continue into next season.