Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

opinion but it may be true but our OL overall was better or at the very least just as good/bad

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are just being really biased.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I am not a "Sanchez Hater." I am not a "hater" of any kind because I'm not 12years old. Sanchez contributed to my 2 favorite years as a Jet fan ever. He had 2 bad years in a row. And I am now ready to move on. He played decently in the preseason. And you know what, if all else was equal, perhaps he could have been named the starter.

But for a fifth year player, he was only mediocre. He threw a pick 6 to a rookie defensive lineman. His confidence is shot, and he'll play better elsewhere.

Geno was bad too, but he was also a rookie. I wanted to look at the unknown Geno instead of putting up with the known Sanchez. Plus as I said, there was little doubt in my mind Geno would have ended up the starter, so I have no problem giving him the season.

If Geno sucks this year (which is very possible), the Jets can go for their franchise QB in next years draft, or draft one this year to groom for next season.

I don't want to keep going back and forth between Geno and Sanchez. Stick with Geno let Mark compete for the starting job in Oakland.

I also don't want to get in too deep in the Mark-Geno war. I've had my say, and its time to look forward to 2014.

4. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to edit that but it's hard on the phone.

What I meant was not remembering so consistently having that thought. It seemed like just about once a drive Geno was making a play that would have resulted better if he just threw it away.

There were plenty of times Mark had that situation as well but it just seemed like to Geno was doing it on a very consistent basis.

My issue with Mark is that he'd play decent enough for most of the game and then make one or 2 bad mistakes. As opposed to making consistent mistakes throughout the game and making one or 2 good plays.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Let me ask you this. Do you really want more of Mark Sanchez? Really. Did Mark get a fair shot with the Jets. I would say that 60 plus starts is a great opportunity that most people don't get. And how long then do you want to continue with Sanchez? I guess for some of you forever.

6. Ajitator

If Mark were to play like he did in the pre-season, At a cheaper performance based salary? Absolutely I'll take more of Mark.

He's missed only 2 games in his first 4 years as a full time starter.
    He's never once second guessed coaches.
    He's never called out his teammates.
    He's never been an issue with his contract negotiations.
    He's brought the team to the playoffs twice, and on the doorstep the third time.
    He's only had 1 losing season as a QB.
    He's had his best success ( college ) in a WCO type offense
    He's only 27 years old.

He's got something to prove, both to the Jets and the NFL. I'd rather see him prove it here then go elsewhere and succeed just because some people are "over" him.

Again, No one is saying anoint him starter for life. Not even give him the job. But if he can come back and earn the spot then why the hell not? You all say that we've seen his ceiling, but in reality you have no idea. 10 years from now Mark will be Peyton's age. He has all the physical tools needed to be a successful QB in the NFL. He's shown in spurts that he has the mental ability, but needs to be more consistent.

You know what helps with being consistent? Time, And Mark has a ton of it. You all pretend like he's an aging QB on his last leg. ( That's what Vick is ).

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You have a right to your opinion but I think you're wrong. He didn't look good in pre-season. He moved the ball but turned it over twice. Including a pick 6. This is a guy who was supposed to prove he wasn't going to turn the ball over which was his achilles heal. There are times you just have to go forward. And give up on a player. And all of the points you make are inconsequential except his age. 27 is still young and maybe he has a career in the NFL. But other Qbs like Leinert, etc. aren't that old and are pretty much out the door. Mark will get a chance to compete somewhere. If a guy with talent hits .220 for several years in a row he is usually traded. Look at Ike Davis. He was good and now the Mets can't wait to get rid of him after two horrible years. Kind of like Mark. While he might still turn out to be a good player statistically it's probably not going to happen.

#2167 pclfan, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. Ajitator

Comparing to baseball? really? The two sports could not be farther apart.

QBs like Leinart never had the success that Sanchez did. He also was known to have issues off the field both with his team, and otherwise.

There's no reason to give up on Mark other then his contract. There's a chance he can still become a franchise QB, I don't think people here who want him gone will ever realize that. There's just so much hatred that people are ignoring everything just to get him gone.

#2168 Ajitator, Feb 5, 2014
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"Hater" only in the TGG vacuum. Just like I'm apparently a "fanboi". Per TGG rules, you can't be somewhere in the middle. It's either one or the other. You apparently missed the memo.

So you are grading on a personal curve that forces you to describe significantly different production as being the same.

The paragraph before you said Sanchez was only mediocre and in this paragraph you say "Geno was bad, too" implying like Sanchez was. Which one is it? Was Sanchez mediocre to Geno's bad, were they both bad or both mediocre? See the confusion? You again are making point, the "haters", I believe, are physically incapable of admitting that Sanchez just for that small sample size in preseason was [cough cough] better than, not as bad as, > or however you want to say it. Acknowledging it doesn't mean you think he's good, better than Geno or should return but you can't bring yourself up to say. I think some people might go into convulsions if they do. It's kind of funny to read the posts of people bending and twisting their words all in an effort not to give the kid at least that.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I didn't want Mark to be gone I wanted him to succeed. But he didn't. If you want to blame it on his coaches, the OL, skill position players, etc. then you can do the same for any bad quarterback. Sure my friend, baseball is not football. But pro sports is pro sports. And if a player does poorly his spot is then given to somebody else. You have to prove yourself and to my way of thinking no excuses. Again as for Mark playing great somewhere else that's very doubtful. But more power to him. I personally don't want to continue on this bad ride.

11. jcass10

Raw stats says Sanchez was better. Is that what you wanted to hear? Sanchez stat line was better. And who knows, injury aside, he may have won the competition. I'm glad Geno won though, I think he is the better option.

Sanchez "fanboys" hate using stats though and prefer to put the stats in context. That's what I was trying to do.

Sanchez and Geno shouldn't be judged equally. I believe there should be a curve when grading them. There really isn't a way to judge them equally right now. Perhaps in 4 years we'll know who was a better Jet. Sanchez as a rookie had an extremely talented team around him. Geno did not have the line, running game, WR's or defense than Mark had. Having said that, Mark also had a better season. Considering Mark's support and Geno's support I believe Geno had the better rookie year.

Mark played damn well in the playoffs and that cant be taken away from him. He played in some of my favorite games ever.

I just think Geno is the better option going forward.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

My issue with Mark is that he'd play decent enough for most of the game and then make one or 2 bad mistakes. As opposed to making consistent mistakes throughout the game and making one or 2 good plays.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that. I thought the Jets struggled all season long, not moving the ball, not getting first downs and not scoring TDs. It wasn't just the turnovers. Now during pre-season in 2013 before he got hurt you're right. He was able to move the ball and then he screwed up big time. But that's in exhibition games. With a few exceptions the Jets barely moved the ball most of the season in 2012.

#2172 pclfan, Feb 5, 2014
  13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

youre arguing with a tebot just so you know

14. legler82

I know that was extremely difficult. Are you OK, should we call an ambulance?
    Let's hope you didn't bite your tongue off.

15. jcass10

This is sad.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Mark didnt get a fair shot. 2012 was not a fair shot at all, and we all knew this heading into the season. 2011 was a fair shot, yes he came up small imo, but to even judge 2012 is a joke. Sure it happenned but coming into the season the whole world knew the Jets were completely inept of talent.

So Sanchez out of three years had one year where he underachieved. One year and we want to remove him. Sorry thats not how you build a winning franchise, I guess the Giants should cut Eli, I guess the Ravens should cut Flacco, I guess the Lions should cut Stafford. Thats the logic I guess.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Comparing Geno to Mark is a guy with 61 starts (and who still makes the same horrendous mistakes) to a guy with zero starts and no chance to show how bad or good he was. Now Geno has a body of work. 3 of his games in 2013 were among the all time worst games for a Qb in the NFL. Below 10 QBr. We all know that Mark in four seasons had the worst Qbr of any starting Qb in the NFL but never below 10. But Geno finished the season off looking good. He seemed to improve and get better not worse like Mark. He listened to his coaches: they told him to use his legs and he consistently did in those final 3 games. Do we want another competition between Mark and Geno. To me you're going backwards not forwards. But we do need an experienced vet Qb whose had success. McCown will probably want too much money but there are a few other guys (not Mark) worth signing.

18. legler82

Not really. What's sad is everything you wrote in you post after the following:

19. jcass10

I thought we were just discussing football.

Didn't know you were gonna go the "want me to call you an ambulance?" route.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Why didn't Mark get a fair shot in 2012. The implosion was on him. The OL was average or above average with 3 Pro Bowl players and were decent. His skill position players below average but not terrible. He played poorly and was reluctantly benched by Rex. And should have been a long time before that. To me a fire-able offense by Rex for not benching him earlier than he did. Or is this going to be the Tony Sparano blame game again all over again. The only reason Mark wasn't cut last season was because of the money. Enough is enough already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.