Year in retrospect: How did the Revis trade work out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I wanted more in the deal. would have loved a 2014 first instead of the 2013 one.

but it played out for the best.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not -- Milliner was rated higher than Sheldon which is why he was picked at 9.

If they did not trade Revis, they still were not going to extend him and give him big bucks, which means not only was Dee BPA, but corner would still be a need, knowing they had one more year of Revis -- With the same certainty that you claim they would have taken Richardson, I say 100% they still would have drafted Dee -- thing is no one can prove either one of us wrong.

But evaluating the trade has nothing to do with Milliner. It is simply Sheldon and who they pick in the draft this year and straight up I can say that in the next few years we will be better having Sheldon than Revis, therefore the trade is a winner for us.

3. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

hard to tell. with revis on the squad jets probably dont have those blowout losses, but that doesnt automatically make them wins either.

id say milliner showing signs of life the last quarter of the season is reason enough to be happy with the trade. and i was against it completely, but the way things have panned out the team might just be able to replicate the same kind of success wtihout revis in the backfield.

id love to have revis back if they could somehow work out a deal but i doubt it. the jets will probably pick up a solid veteran fa with miles left and try to keep developing draft picks.

revis trade wasnt catostrophic

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

It's been great. Even if Millner busts & the 3rd rounder this draft doesn't work out, the trade still works for the Jets. Sheldon Richardson has been an elite DL and he's on a rookie contract. Without the Revis trade, Millner is still picked. Instead of replacing Revis, he's going to be groomed with the hopes of replacing Cromartie. There's just no way, any sane-GM is gonna dish out that kind of money on his starting CB duo (Revis + Cro).

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

If we had Revis some could argue where better then 8-8 and possibly a playoff team.

Still would have have took Richardson but at #9.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With 2 first round pics our second round pic became a bit of a luxury that Idzik could use to swing for the fences with.

The player Idik probably doesn't draft if he kept Revis is Geno Smith.

7. Footballgod214

Funny thing about the Revis and Bucs thing is the Bucs can cut Revis and owe him nothing and only give up a 4th round pic to the Jets.

If the new gestapo in Tampa just doesn't feel like getting fired in a year, they may not extend Revis for $16M/yr. There's probably a 10% chance they just cut him, save the cap space, and move on.

Which means.....

8. NFL

NFL Active Member

Yeah I never understood why people say that it was Woodys decision to trade Revis. Some people say that he didn't want to pay him, but at the end of the day, he's still spending $120 million a year on the roster, with Revis or not.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

They're keeping Revis.

Lovie Smith has already said that he has big plans for him.

10. Footballgod214

What's the magic date they have to have him on the team for the Jets to get a 3rd round pic?

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It really couldn`t of panned out any better... Richardson ended up being the best player in the entire draft AND we have a top 3rd rounder this year in a deep draft!

I look at it like this: Stud for Stud + top 3rd rounder

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This is the biggest fallacy that keeps getting said over and over again.

Milliner was a pretty much accepted top 5 talent in the draft and was clearly the BPA on the board when the Jets picked. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to even have the slightest inkling that they would have drafted Richardson over Milliner. The statement is just flat out false and wrong.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I know its probably an unpopular opinion but I'd love for Revis to come back to NY and finish his career here.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO, it was addition by subtraction. We got rid of a selfish, me-first jerk who only cares about money, not his teammates or winning. Eff Revis. It still would have been a positive if the player the Jets took with the pick was a bust imo. I'm just glad he's gone.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Best Trade Ever. Mevi$ was always holding out and upping the ante. Rex overinflated his ego for him and he got what he deserved:lots of money(not guaranteed) on a bad team.

I just wish we had traded him to the Raiders or Jacksonville.

16. Footballgod214

ah thanks.....

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's worked out very well so far. We have tons of cap room, and a legitimate star in the making in Richardson.

With Milliner playing really well the last month of the season i'm pretty excited for the future of our defense and definitely think Idzik made the best out of a bad situation.

In short, it worked out well for the Jets.

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I think we should always credit Rex for everything good and never blame him for anything.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I think that will always be a part of this conversation because they used the pick they got for Revis on Sheldon. And Milliner, for better or worse, will always be compared to Revis. In Rex's system Dee will have ample opportunity to excel. More than likely he'll never approach the level that Revis did, but he has skills and hopefully can be a very good CB for years to come.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think they made out well all things considered. At the time I thought they should have got more for Revis but looking back at it they probably did the best they could given what they were dealing against. I'm of the belief that $16 mm for a CB is not sane in the cap era.

If Milliner continues to improve and play like he did the last quarter of the season it will look even better.