Pettine : I am not gonna be Rex !

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NewYorkEveryThing, Jan 24, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Pettine left the Jets for two reasons. One, to have a shot at moving up the ladder and becoming a HC; and two, because Rex was driving him crazy. Pettine is a no-nonsense type of guy, very organized, a disciplinarian, and expects players to produce. The fact that Rex wasn't very organized, was a loose cannon, and wasn't holding players accountable, probably didn't sit well with Pettine at all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Pettine is or becomes a much better HC than Rex.

2. NCJetsfan

I don't know that it's as easy as you suggest, but don't think it will be as difficult as some are saying, either.

I think Kubiak would be a logical option. Another possibility is that he could offer the job to Greg Roman of the Niners with the additional title of Assistant HC and a nice raise.

3. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i dunno dude, i think that a big reason pettine left as well was simply because he was a leak. the guy seems petty and willing to stab people hes worked with for years in the back for reasons not easily seen by outsiders. its no coincidence the leaks left when he did and im not going to hide my distaste for the man that helped to create one of the most toxic media environments a team has ever had to deal with.

as far as im concerned, he deserves to and likely will fail. you cant be petty like that and have an entire team rally behind you.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Pettine gave credit to Rex for being where he is today. I don't see any problem with him letting people know he's not going to be a loudmouth. He's setting expectations.

I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a good HC. That's not to say I expect him to be, but I don't see any serious flaws at this point. I just hope he doesn't turn into Rex's Belichick.

5. NCJetsfan

I don't think there's a high likelihood that he will get fired after one season unless he is as bad as Chud was. I think the main reason Chud was fired is that things got worse and there was no accountability. Pettine is organized and will hold players accountable. With the additional talent they will add in FA and the draft, I think they will be around a .500 team this year, maybe better. They have some nice building blocks in place already. They add a QB in the draft and have Hoyer as a backup or starter if the rookie isn't ready, and address some of their other needs, and I think they'll have a decent year.

6. NCJetsfan

You have zero proof that Pettine is petty or was the leak. Even if he was the leak, he wasn't responsible for the toxic environment. That's all on Rex, Woody and Tanny for their cluelessness. I'm sure he wanted to be part of an organization that he could be proud of and have a shot at winning, not part of a circus. He's a no-nonsense guy.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet that he becomes a MUCH better HC than Rex can ever dream about becoming.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

whatever man. well see

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I agree, he said that addressing the QB position was the most important objective, and that you can't win with a defense and just running the ball. Good move to distance himself from our headache.

9. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. I think Pettine left because he was tired of being Rex's shadow. Think about it. Whenever the D succeeded from '09 to '12, who got all the credit? It was Rex, not Pettine. Even with the title DC, Rex still garnered all the accolades. At a point (and to his credit) he probably figured to move up in this business he needed to go succeed on his own and break away from his mentor. Similar to what Belichick did from Parcells. The move worked perfectly. Parlayed 1 outstanding year in Buffalo to a HC position.

Read 'Collision Low Crossers' when you get a chance. He's extremely self motivated. The move didn't surprise me in the least. I don't think Rex was driving him crazy at all. He looked up to Rex as a big brother; his career wouldn't be where it currently is without him.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Petin always struck me more of a Parcells/Belicheck type man. No nonsense, hard ass, no emotion. And now, no QB.

We've all wondered how Belicheck would do without Brady. We're about to find out in Cleveland.

11. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I liked his subtle dig at Rex when he said that you need a great QB to win and hes not the guy that will say he can win with good defense and any QB

12. feldspar

feldspar Member

I'm not Rex, either.

Pettine always struck me as a pretty intimidating personality, or at least not the kind of guy you'd really want to cross. But I think he's very articulate and capable. It'll be interesting to see what he does in Cleveland for sure.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Because Pettine is Belichick all of the sudden? What?

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Pettine's a jerkoff.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Why the whatever? Lets see proof of this leak that you talked about.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pettine can obviously coach defence well and inherits a good D, good OL and a couple stars in the making in Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon. They are a good QB away from being in the hunt IMO. They have a boatload of picks too. I think he will surprise people.

17. feldspar

feldspar Member

On a related note, the Bills just hired Jim Schwartz as Defensive Coordinator to replace Pettine.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He's going to the Browns. If anything, he'll be chopped liver.

19. NCJetsfan

That's cool. No one said we had to agree, but that said, I did say that the first reason he left was for a chance to move up the ladder, so we aren't that far apart.

I don't know what type of person you are, what your personality is like, but I'm a more disciplined, organized type. I've had to work with and for people who were undisciplined, unorganized and who as a result wasted my time and made the work environment chaotic, hectic, less productive, and much more stressful than it ever needed to be. I couldn't wait to get away from those people.

I do think Pettine acknowledges that Rex gave him a chance and is appreciative. That's why I don't buy stevepokal's assertion that Pettine was the leak and undermining Rex. That just doesn't sound like the Pettine I've read/heard about. The differences may not have drove him crazy, but I think at the very least he didn't like it and didn't agree with Rex's not holding players accountable, thus I think wanting to get out from under Rex's shadow and move up the ladder wasn't the only reason he left. But hey, I could be wrong.

#39 NCJetsfan, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  20. NCJetsfan

He also has a great young CB in Haden and a great young safety in T.J. Ward, an excellent LB/pass rusher in Paul Kruger and an excellent young OLB prospect in Barkevious Mingo, a decent DL in Ahtyba Rubin, a pretty good ILB in D'Qwell Jackson.

In spite of using about 3 different QBs, their worst loss was by 21 to the Bengals. They played the Ravens, Pats, Chiefs tough, and actually beat the Ravens once, something Rex has never done. The team has some talent.

With the embarrassment the FO has gone through with firing Chud after just one year, I think they'll be much more patient with Pettine, if necessary, and the season and team would have to be an epic disaster for him to get fired after just one year.