Year in retrospect: How did the Revis trade work out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you ask me - this trade showed what kind of defensive guru Jets have in Rex Ryan; my point is simple:

1. If Revis stayed a Jet, he would have been his usual dominating self - which he was anything but as a Buc.

2. That said, emergence of Sheldon Richardson MUST have something to do with Ryan/Dunbar; i.e. he could have done a pretty good job as a rookie coming in, but would he have had the kind of impact he had as a Jet? I doubt that.

==================================

Showed the world who was running the show - and it wasn't Revis. [Take that, you lousy money whore.] And Jets came away with extra 3rd round pick this season. Good deal all around, if you ask me.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Good deal for sure. Sheldon is a beast. We have a third round pick and we have plenty of cap space this offseason. Definitely worked out well and with Milliner looking better at the end of the season it definitely helps.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Given the play of Richardson and the money commanded by Revis I think we came out slightly ahead but we still have a 3rd or a 4th coming so depending on where the draft shakes out I think on balance we probably come out the winner in the long run.

If Miliner continues to improve--all the better.

_

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'll get back to you after we spend the third round pick.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yes it did and its not even close, we were able to draft a player that has had just as big of an impact on the defense that Revis had. We also have ourselves over $14 million that we wont be paying Revis.

You cannot win in this league if you are paying a CB $16 million.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not only is this a testament to Rex Ryan, but how about Idzik. First couple weeks in the building and he has to decide whether or not to trade one of the best players in Jets history. He does so, takes a HUGE amount of pressure on himself and then goes out and nabs a guy like Richardson. All dependent on that third round pick, but damn, this could be one amazing deal.

Cap space, Sheldon Richardson, and a possible second starter.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding RIchardson and the BPA strategy, meh. If they were high on Richardson and had kept Revis, they would have passed on Milliner and taken Richardson with that pick. The Jets would be a better team with Revis than Milliner last year, as Rex would say no question about it.

I also think a deal could have been worked out with Revis that would have been acceptable, so what he got with TB is beside the point. TB did not guarantee money, so imo it was not such a great deal despite the stated numbers.

Until we see what Idzik gets with the cap space I don't see how we can say the trade was a success.

And all NFL players play for money.

8. Big Blocker

Woody made that decision.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

How do you know this? Source?

I'm pretty sure Idzik had a HUGE say in the trading of a player. Considering he is the GM

10. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

This trade was a huge success for the Jets.

I'd much rather have Sheldon Richardson on a rookie contract, taking up very little cap space, rather than having Revis on the team for one more year and then leaving if we didn't pay him $18m or whatever per year.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It has worked out much better than I could have expected. Big Blocker is right: If the Jets keep Revis, they draft Richardson still. The deal is all about money. Milliner plays for $3 million instead of $16, so that saves the Jets $13 million. Milliner played much worse than Revis did, but the 2014 season should show if the deal worked out great, if Milliner continues to play like he did at the end of the season. The extra 3rd round pick also a factor.

12. Big Blocker

I agree the key is Milliner, but it remains to be seen whether he eventually approaches anywhere near Revis's market value. So far he has shown none of that. Meanwhile as I said the issue of cap space depends on what else is done with it. We don't know that, either.

But the issue is NOT Richardson. That is a phony.

13. Big Blocker

I will say that the fact that Smith played so badly last year makes it complicated to assess how much the poor play in the secondary really hurt the team. Even focusing on the three games Milliner was benched does not allow one to say those were losses that should have been wins. take the first fish game - as bad as Milliner was, would the rest of hte team won that game with adequate cb play? Probably not.

But I do think if the Jets had a competitive Qb last season, the one starter who would have stuck out like a sore thumb was Milliner. If the Jets had a playoff slot, how much farther would they have gone with Revis instead of Milliner? Hard to say. But I would say somewhat farther to be sure. Even at the end of the season we could merely say his play had imoroved, not that he was near Revis's level.

So ironically Smith's poor play season long made Milliner's presence less problematic.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The trade was a success for the Jets, regardless of how Richardson or milliner played, the are no longer being held hostage by Revis, an moving to the Bucs hurt Revis, no longer playing in the media capital, best move Idzik made thus far.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How'd the deal work out for the Bucs?

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

It definitely worked out for the Jets. Sheldon Richardson is Revis' gift and Dee might still pan out to be a great corner. Plus we don't need to cripple ourselves by giving a corner more than 15 million a year.

17. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

They fired their GM, so I think that gives you an indication of how the Bucs feel that deal went for them.

The Bucs got screwed. Revis will never take a pay cut, so that's not an option. So you either overpay him and not be able to fix the team as much as you need to, or you cut him and waste your 1st round pick and 3rd or 4th round pick that you traded to get him. Most likely they will keep him for another year or two and try to trade him, and end up having to cut him.

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If Milliner ends up being maxing out as at least a starting corner (not Kyle Wilson style) then when you realize what Richardson is going to be, the deal was great for the Jets.

19. Big Blocker

Again, people keep mentioning Richardson here. If the Jets still had Revis on the roster, they would have picked Richardson instead of Milliner.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I have mentioned this before but no one really seems to want to hear it because heaven forbid we had Revis still on our roster...

Crazy how all the Revis haters just say almost anything to justify it :lol: