Damon Harrison Highlights

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoWilkNYJ, Jan 16, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If snacks was an elite NT he'd be racking up double digit sacks playing between richardson and wilkerson. He's good, I don't know why people feel the need to go to the extreme and say things like he's great or elite. He's not.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Having 3 down lineman that demand dbl teams plus guys on the edge that can rush the passer have a big impact on what the other team can do on offense.

1- Pass catching TEs are replaced by blocking TEs or even a 6th lineman to give the QB a little bit more time. Which means one less set of hands for the QB to throw to.

2- Running backs that typically drift off into the flat as safety valves are forced to stay home and block.

3- When your front 7 can shut down another teams running game, it forces the other team to use a lot of short west coast type timing routs that they may not be any good at. These are the game where you see the QB throw an int to the MLB on a 3 yard slant.

A stout front 7 forces the other team away from the things they've been thriving on and into game plans they're not used to. We've seen it happen to us 1000 times.

3. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Vince Wilfork has never had more than 3.5 sack in one year his entire career. Are you going to suggest that Wifork is not elite? Elite may be a stretch for Snacks but he's one of the better NT's in the league.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

As if saying a NT would get double digit sacks in any defense is not going to an extreme. Perhaps you should look in the mirror before posting crap like this.

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

He's elite against the run, could easily become the best. Pass rushing is a different story, which kept him from being truly elite this year. That may change next year depending on how he progresses.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Did you even read what you responded to? I said an elite NT would get double digit sacks playing between Richardson and Wilkerson. That's a far cry from "any defense". Richardson and Wilkerson are great players who command double teams. They would be great in "any defense".

Put a healthy Kris Jenkins between them and he gets double digit sacks. No question about it, obviously, and all that stuff.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Saying Harrison would get double-digit sacks is hyperbole. 3-4 NT's don't get double-digit sacks. Very few 4-3 NT's reach 10+ and then only as a prime time season, not the average.

Also, the Jets pull their NT, whoever he is, on most obvious passing downs. The third heavy in the game for them on those downs was Calvin Pace this year.

Kris Jenkins career high in sacks was 7 and he finished with 24 overall in a 10 year career. He was one of the best pass-rushing NT's in the NFL for his entire career outside the injury seasons.

8. Mangold Goldman

A 3-4 nt putting up 10+ sacks. Lol gotta love some people i swear... understand the position before you spew your misinformed commentary

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Kris Jenkins never played between two beasts.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I understand the position fine, NT's eat up blocks and two gap the run. The fact is that Harrison doesn't have to eat up blocks as much as a normal NT because the guy to his left and his right are consistently drawing the double teams.

Jenkins was regularly facing doubles and sometimes triples. If he consistently got single teams like Harrison does he'd be eating QB's.

Harrison may be elite one day but he's not today.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No nose tackle gets double digit sacks, like ever, obviously and all that stuff.

I'm not sure if your trolling the thread or what because your post are usually better than this.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He pass-rushed well last year but Rex's scheme didn't leave him in the game on a lot of passing downs.

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Limited opportunities were probably the main factor but my impression was he got better at it as the season progressed without having studied it terribly closely. That still leaves the question of whether Rex made a mistake to not change schemes to work him in more often, or whether he wasn't quite good enough at it to compel such a change with the given personnel.

The secondary should be much improved this year one way or another, along with Barnes or another natural pass rusher adding depth to LB. Assuming that's the case Rex should have more flexibility to work in Harrison in passing situations without worrying as much about holes that might create. I'm looking forward to seeing the results because it seems like he should be able to step up and silence the detractors with an extra year of experience and more opportunities.

Whether he becomes a slightly above average pass rusher, good, or elite for an NT seems hard to pin down right now, however his play against the run is clear already.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't believe in absolutes.

I see two dominant defensive ends freeing up the NT with a lot of one on ones. Usually the NT is eating blocks. I keep going back to Kris Jenkins because I believe he was elite and I believe he would have been double digit sacks between these two DE's. Obviously, and all that stuff.

I understand it's not normal for a NT to get double digit sacks. I'm just looking at this situation and believe an elite one would here. My opinion, obviously everyone disagrees.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kris Jenkins on this Jets team? 10 sacks could have happened for sure for KJ. I doubt Harrison ever becomes as good as Jenkins when he was injury free.

16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Damon Harrison is a monster

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your looking at this only from the perspective of how many sacks Harrison got and that is the flaw I see here, saying that in-between these two beasts he should have had ten. First off, one of those beasts didn't even hit 5. Richardson finished the year at 3.5 sacks. The player that actually benefited the most from our line was Pace who did hit double digit sacks for the first time in his career.

Elite NT's do not rack up sack numbers. Its typically not there job. Even if they do manage good penetration on a pass down its going to force the QB out of the pocket and towards one of the on rushing edge rushers. Most of the time your going to see a QB get hit from pressure right up the middle its from a stunt or a Blitzing LB or DB.

Why Harrison is so good is the ability to take on and then shed blockers to make plays in the running game. for a 350+ pounder he is very light on his feet and able to get away from those blocks and eat up running backs often. You can't simply judge the value of a defensive lineman by one stat.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I wasn't judging him by one stat, I was pointing out one stat that I would expect an elite NT to achieve between these two beasts who are getting double teamed.

Are you of the opinion that snacks is an elite NT?

Don't you think the job of NT is much easier when you're getting a lot of single blocks? Don't you think a lot of good NT's would look really good between Richardson and Wilkerson?

19. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

He's a product of Rex using his size and amazing quickness for a big man and putting him in situations where he could dominate. I like him over Ellis though. Lock him in with 3-5 mil over the next 2 years.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i think its more the other way around. dude is a stud. wilkerson is cleary out stud, but id take harrison over anyone else on our line.