Damon Harrison Highlights

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoWilkNYJ, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]pz8PqEx9hJY[/YOUTUBE]

Not often a run-stopping defensive tackle can fill a four minute highlight video. Definitely one of the reasons our run D was so improved.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I like Harrison but I wonder how much of a product of the DE's he is. He gets a lot of one on one's for a NT.

Imagine a healthy Jenkins between Wilk and Richardson? Oh my.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He's a stud.

How'd he go undrafted?

4. californiajet

californiajet Member

The question is: Assuming we spend at least a good chunk of money and lock up Wilkerson and a few other key young players....what happens in 1-2 years when we have Snacks & Kendrick Ellis up for FA? Say what you want about Ellis but it is a huge luxury to have TWO legit starting NTs on the roster and I could see locking up Ellis at a lower rate versus tying up half our cap space in Wilk-Snacks-S-Rich....

That is why I wonder whether it would be wise to try and get a lower than market offer out to Snacks now and see where it goes. If he turns out to be a flash in the pan turn next year then not a huge downside, but if he turns out to be truly elite he is going to get top dollar and I can't see us keeping this group together in 2015/2016 when they are all set to earn 8-10 million plus...

5. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

hAVE TO TRADE ASSETS SOMETIMES

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Harrison is as good as Jenkins was against the run. Next year he may get more snaps on the obvious passing downs and with that a chance to raise his play level again.

The thing that made Kris Jenkins just dominant was that he stayed in the game in almost all situations and he was hard to block even when the offensive line knew he was pass rushing.

7. Br4d

Injuries will likely decide this for the Jets. The reason they should keep Coples and Ellis and Douzable is that they have tremendous depth in the 2nd most important area of the field. Only the QB is more important than the defensive line in terms of fielding a consistent winner.

Gotta be able to stop the run and that happens up front.

Keeping Rex around was huge in this area. He's the reason the Jets have so many havoc-wreakers up front in this defense. You give the same crew to a normal defensive coordinator and he's going to see 6 DT's and have no clue how to use them.

8. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Good video. He was definitely a highlight of the season. Love when unheralded guys are given the opportunity to become good players. I h ad no idea who this guys was 2 years ago. Now he's one of my favorite players on the team. He does all the dirty work.. good post.. thank god for the mute button. That music made me sick. Lol

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jenkins almost always faced a double team and sometimes was even tripled. How many plays in that highlight video was Harrison getting one on one blocking?

Jenkins would easily have had double digit sacks if he had that luxury.

10. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Good point, but at the time Big Kris came to play for us, he had already been in the league for seven years and was drafted in the second round? Snacks is a UDFA from a D2 school, and is just LEARNING. He is still just a kid in all honesty ... I can't wait to see what next year brings.

#10 Spike_D, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not trying to crap on Harrison, I like him, I just wonder how much of a product of the two blue chip DE's he's playing between he is. It made me imagine how dominant Jenkins would have been in that scenario.

Hopefully Harrison can continue to grow as a pass rusher.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Getting dbl trpl teamed is something a defensive lineman earns over time. It's based on reputation which is based on results.

Snacks is piling up the 'results' and his reputation is building.

Which means, of course, he will have his own shot at dbl teams in the near future.

And Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wild and Coples (and Rex) couldn't be happier.

13. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Really you can't double team everyone somebody is going to repeatedly get a 1 on 1 matchup.

14. Br4d

Look at the highlight film again. There are a lot of plays where somebody just whiffed on Harrison completely or managed to barely chip him. He's really quick for his size.

The play against the Panthers at 0:45 is just absurd. The guard whiffs on him completely and the center spins but barely touches him as he goes by.

There are also a ton of plays where the offense tried to used the center, guard and tackle to block out Harrison and the end on his side and one of the guys invariably pops free and makes the play. the guy who pops free is Wilkerson or Richardson as often as it is Harrison.

Who had the big breakout year this year? Mo Wilkerson. What was the biggest difference for him? Harrison playing next to him instead of Pouha. Who had the great rookie year? Richardson. Who plays next to him?

The Jets have 3 great defensive linemen playing next to each other right now.

#14 Br4d, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't see great. I see a good NT who can win one on one battles. On most teams he'd be seeing double teams on nearly every play. He's given a lot of opportunities here and does well taking advantage of them. Highlight reels are fun.

16. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

he is super athletic for a big guy...I know he went to a small school but how did he go undrafted. Just goes to show you that every round of the draft probably has a gem in it.

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree that on different teams, Harri(son) doesn't play as well as he did last year. That being said, it doesn't matter that Harri or Wilker or Richard, wouldn't be as good on different teams or aren't "great" individually.

This is precisely the point: the unit functions well together. These three (as well as Ellis and, when he's on the line, Coples) have great chemistry. If Wilker and Richard are getting doubled, then the third son, Harri, gets free; similarly, if Richard and Harri are getting doubled, then Wilker gets free.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Richardson and Wilkerson would both be stars on most teams. I don't know if I'd say that about snacks.

19. californiajet

californiajet Member

I agree we have done a great job of stock piling talent on the DL but with a 3-4 (especially at the NT postion) you truly are out just one injury (harrison or Ellis) away from being mediocre since the NT position is SO key to not just the DL but the ENTIRE defence. That is why I would not cry about putting money towards locking up both Harrison AND Ellis this off season before they are out of the price range...of course if I am in their shoes I wouldn't since the contract knowing I could be the #1 FA DL in 2015...its all about supply and demand...and timing.

Long story short, with a year to evaluate this off season willl show how good of a GM Idzik is and if he can make the schrewd moves to lock up key talent under market that you need to do well in the NFL...

20. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Absolute beast at stopping the run.

The amount of space he eats up combine with his range/long arms, he's easily an elite NT.

Can't wait to see wait 2014 brings for him.