Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

OR... try to develop the single most important position player, the quarterback, into a player that makes everyone around him better - instead of being content with having a team that carries that player?

We should aim to have a catalyst at QB.
    Not aim to acquire a supporting cast that can act as the catalyst for the QB.

So who can be that franchise QB?

The jury is out on Sanchez.
    Geno is still an unknown, who just finished his rookie season.

#1181 Swedish Ale, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Team sport and very few elite level franchise QBs. What you need is a solid team all around and a QB that can take advantage of those piece. If they improve weapons can Geno be more than a guy that you hope doesn't make mistakes and is given a partial playbook to run or can he operate the offense as designed. Same for Sanchez. if Sanchez is back and can run the full playbook as designed with weapons the team coul dbe dangerous in 2014.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Building the best team you can is the default.
    It's what every team tries to do.

What we need is to set higher standards and stop hoping for game managers who mustn't fuck up, and get in the way of the rest of the team's ability to win games.

The goal should be finding the real deal by cultivating the talent we acquire, that goes for all positions, as you say.

Just being able to run the full MM system won't matter much if the talent isn't more than that, and I'm sure both MM and Idzik feels the same way.

Had it been that understanding and being able to run the full version MM system being so paramount, McElroy would've had 16 starts - not being sent off the team.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There will be no excuses across the board for everyone not named Idzik unless of course he manages to screw up this off-season which would take a lot of effort. Rex is included in that no excuses group

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Unless you alone hold the secret to landing the ever elusive elite franchise QB, you are saying the prett much the same thing as 85inthehall. While search for the real deal, you do what you can to be competitive. It's either that or you keep tanking until to hit the franchise QB lottery. I rather the former than the latter but I wouldn't complain if I knew the latter would yield a player like Andrew Luck.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who can honestly say they had a feeling of confidence going into a game, any game, when Sanchez was starting? I mean they actually thought that a good performance was a given and was more concerned about some other aspect of the game because they knew the QB had everything under control?

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood my post. The idea is to use a QB that can best run the offense as designed fully and take advantage of all of the weapons on offense. Sanchez - with all his faults - showed the potential to do that in 2011 when he put up 26 TD passes to Burress, Holmes, and Kerley after losing his favorite weapon. He did that with Tom Moore designing the red zone offense. So with the right offense, right weapons, and a QB that can execute this team has potential. My fear with Smith at QB is it will be a year of trying to get him to cut down on mistakes, learn how to read a defense, not repeat the same issues fro last season - and as a second year player I see him as a game manager at best in 2014 as he continues to learn.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 2009 and 2010 Mark Sanchez was a brash young QB who made a lot of mistakes but then kept on going out there anyway and performing under pressure. Sometimes he performed well, sometimes he performed poorly but generally speaking he still had his chin up and was trying to get the job done.

By the middle of 2011 that brash young QB was gone and instead we had a shaky QB under pressure who was playing almost blindly at times as the footsteps resounded in his head. The number of "doh! why did he throw that ball!" plays went up and the number of cocky "that was with my left hand!" plays went down and he looked very subpar coming down the stretch that year.

In 2012 Sanchez was just a bad QB. His numbers were bad, his attitude was bad, the plays he attempted to make were just comical at times and the offense completely broke down for long periods of the season.

You just don't recover from that once you've lost it. Footsteps, bad throws, panicky plays, that's bad quarterbacking 101 and unfortunately that's what we had in Mark Sanchez by the end of 2012.

The butt fumble was just like Geno's behind the back move that cost the Jets points. the difference is that it was the culmination of a 4 year process not a rookie playing in his 5th game.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Before beginning to answer your post directly, I am noticing what I think is a greater frequency, I think a significantly greater frequency just since the end of the season, of posters here missing the context of the post they quote. When we post here we have the basic choice of quoting someone's previous post, or not. Speaking for myself when I DO quote another post, I do so to indicate that is the context, in some way, for my post. My post is in some way a response to the quoted post. At least that is my intent.

And if I do not quote someone else's post, I might address a poster still, or not. If not it is a general post, of general application. Is this not what we should all be doing here?

So, you post a long post complaining that what I said about the Qb position here is true of all positions. The context of my post I thought it clear was this statement in the post I quoted from MikeSLT:

" If they draft a QB that they think has more potential than Geno, then fine. I don't have a real problem with that, but I'd rather try to fill other holes this season and give Geno one more shot."

My point is count me as one who thinks the Qb position needs to be upgraded much more than MikeSLT does. That is my point. I would rather not fill other positions than upgrade Qb. I think Qb has been holding this team back, other than a couple of short stretches when Chadwick was still healthy and on the field really since Vinny's one good year. And I think it likely, while not certain, that unless it the Qb position is upgraded over another year with Smith, Qb will continue to hold the team back.

So you see it is not really blanket statement at all.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nope.

The general feeling was that if Sanchez just played adequately and limited his fuck-ups, we'd probably walk away with a win.

Granted, some games didn't turn out like that, but too many did...and Sanchez usually made it worse.

And that's why he shoulda been yanked halfway through the '12 season.

It might have saved his career as a Jet.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's hysterical someone like you saying that.

you don't win 4 playoff games in 2 years(all on the road) w/o quality QB play. "better" QBs w/ more talent around them haven't done that.

it's hard to play fearless when Chaz Schilens is a starting WR.

He did much more than not screw up but even if it was just that it is a special trait that not all QBs have exhibited.

If Peyton wins this week he will equal mark's 4 playoff wins since 2009

Brady just equaled them last week

but we know it's easy to win in January, anyone can do it.

12. Doink Bell

Doink Bell Banned

I would say the Jets won those playoff games on the back of an elite defense, stellar oline play and an effective run game. Mark obviously factored in, but he wasn't the sole reason. That was quite indicative over the last 2 years of his starting career.

13. nyjunc

defense was the #1 reason we won and the #1 reason we lost those playoff games but truly elite defenses(which we never had) need quality QB play to win consistently(see 80s Bears, 00s Ravens and Bucs as examples) in postseason. mark's quality play is minimized b/c of the perception he was carried to those wins. He made big plays in all of those wins and more importantly limited the big mistakes which other supposedly much better Qbs struggle to do.

14. Doink Bell

Doink Bell Banned

Too bad Mark turns back into a pumpkin during the regular season.

His inconsistency killed this team, whether he got lucky in the playoffs or not.

15. nyjunc

he never killed the team. His inconsistency was frustrating at times but we overcame. we didn't make the playoffs in 2011 b/c the team collapsed not just him, we had no chance in 2012 w/ the lack of talent around him.

you don't get lucky I 6 games over back to back seasons. maybe a game here or there not 6 in a row.

16. Doink Bell

Doink Bell Banned

Mark killed this team. He started regressing instead of progressing. Now he can't read defenses, makes awful decisions, overthrows wide open receivers, pouts on the sidelines. I understand the talent around him wasn't great, but great QBs make the players around them better.

He needs a change a scenery as much as the Jets need to cut him.

17. nyjunc

No QB would have succeeded w/ Tony Sparano running it and guys like Chaz Schilens starting.

Nowhere have I ever called mark great, there are maybe 3-4 great QBs in this league. Look at someone like Eli who won 2 SBs and how he struggled w/ top 10 talent this year- he was MUCH worse than Mark 2012 w/ all that talent.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Did Eli really have top 10 talent this year?

Dont get me wrong, he really sucked and made some terrible decisions. But his OLine was pitiful the first half of the year and their wide receivers were awful.

Nicks had a terrible season, so they really only had Cruz.

Eli played like utter crap, but lets not act like he had great support the whole year.

19. nyjunc

Nicks at his worst would have been our #1 option easily in 2012. Cruz is better than any WR we have had since Keyshawn.

Randle, their 3rd option, would have been our #1 in 2012.

The OL wasn't good but neither was ours.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

This is pretty much accurate. But it still doesn't address the comment that Eli had top 10 talent THIS year.

Saying that those players would've been big factors on the Jets' 2012 depth chart isn't saying much, considering that roster (Offense) was so bad, much like this year.

The Giants had a bad OL, crap Running game, bad TE, and shaky WRs, with Cruz being the most consistent, skill-wise and effort-wise.

That doesn't sound like top 10 to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.