Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Which is why I think he would have more success outside the Jets, where expectations are low and the leash is long.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

More than likely that is what will happen and it will probably be in the best interests of all involved but I hate giving up on a talented young QB. I hated getting rid of Chad but I knew he would be hurt again sooner than later but I get the feeling he's going to have real success somewhere down the line. may not be next year or the year after but somewhere I think he'll do big things.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't think Sanchez will have a long leash anywhere. I don't think the Jets' starter next year, whoever it is, will have a long leash either.

4. nyjunc

Instead of a leash why don't we try one of those shocking collars? :grin:

5. displacedfan

Well I'm guessing the only way the Jets really want to keep Sanchez and play him is if they think MM can fix him. I don't think Rex has the time to just let Sanchez go and see if he can learn MMs system this year. So to me, MM will have to fix Sanchez. I don't see the Jets brining Sanchez back if they think he'll be an average QB, he needs be more than that. Vick slowly regressed after that one year, and I don't think Rex has time to wait and see with Sanchez.

MM definitely had a hand in those pro bowl QBs, so did Andy Reid and clearly Reid and Chip didn't have any problem grooming their current QBs without MM. MM played a role, but Reid gets underrated in this category too.

But the ceiling the Jets believe he has does matter. If the Jets think MM will get the best out of Sanchez (which would mean fixing Sanchez because clearly the TOs must be stopped), they need to see what they think that will be. If it means an average QB, it's not worth spending time to do it. If they believe it will be an all pro, there is definitely time to spend doing it (although Rex doesn't have that time so it would have to be an Idzik/Woody decision).

I've said earlier in this thread, I'm also fine with Sanchez coming back if he's cut. I just wouldn't expect much if anything and I think for him he has more opportunity and a better chance at succeeding outside of the Jets.

Also, it's hard to see Sanchez as some sort of guaranteed positive to the Jets when he didn't play last year, and the year before he had his worst year that made him look like a rookie, and the year before he ended the season with a terrible game. The last consistent positive signs of Sanchez were now 2 and half years ago. If the Jets believe they can return to the Sanchez of that form, go for it. I don't think the Jets are going to try. If they get Sanchez back, it's going to be a body to be a backup and probably still get another rookie or veteran to add to the team/

6. displacedfan

Sanchez needs to be in the right situation. If he can land on the Bengals or Chiefs or something like that, he has a legitimate shot at stepping into a role with a talented roster where they can give him easy, QB friendly throws and reads to make and where they can protect themselves from his turnovers. That's the best way for Sanchez to get his feet and get established in the NFL again.

I wrote it earlier in this thread, but there are definitely scenarios where a team is drafting a rookie and waiting on him or Sanchez comes in on a hurt year and they'll let Sanchez play it out. In NY, the expectations will be much higher because the Jets would be reinvesting in Sanchez a 3rd time.

I think if Geno is the starter he will be given at least half a season to evaluate where he is in his second season. If it's a veteran, they're waiting for Geno behind him or another rookie like JF behind him.

7. nyjunc

There are a few places I think he could play at some point year 1 and be in a great situation:

Cincy
    Houston
    TB
    Cle
    SL

8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

In the same breath, some of you are complaining that we never brought in serious competition for Sanchez, and then saying Geno should be given the starting job next year.

I honestly can't think of any valid reason to not being Sanchez back at least to camp. If he's as bad as you all say he is then he'll get beat handily by Geno and whoever the number 3 Qb ends up in camp and Sanchez is gone anyway.

If he improves at all he raises his trade value . And could be seen as a competent backup should something happen to the winner of the starting job.

If he lights it up we saved ourselves from throwing away years and millions of $ in investments and are pretty set at QB for the immediate future.

Can you honestly say that either of those 3 scenarios are worse then cutting him. Paying 8.5$ million and then having to go out and sign another QB off the scrap heap for another couple million $ that, in theory, could be a bigger distraction to geno and the team then Sanchez ( since the fan base is already over Sanchez as a "shiny new toy" there won't be a gang of people calling for him to start over geno should he show signs of stuggle. )

If you being in someone like Vick there's a very good chance Geno ( or starter A ) will have to deal with the met life fans chanting Michael Vicks name after a 1-4 interception game.

You guys should remember this whole thread is predicated with the fact that Sanchez takes a HUGE paycut and wants to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

It was quite obvious that the game was too fast for Geno in the beginning. He lost the qb competition fair and square. He was not winning stats wise, technique wise, and understanding wise.

Just look at the play calling with Sanchez and Geno in Pre season. The foot work, the rhythm, and reads were lacking with Geno. It was hard watching him. Half of the time I was hoping he'd Run instead of Pass in passing situations.

Why stretch the qb competition? That was a motto by Idzik from the beginning, and a way to let fans know the Jets are serious abt who they put on the field. Having said that, Sanchez won the competition, unfortunately for Idzik and lots of fans. It was smoke and mirrors. They were building up Sanchez image and trust with the paying Customer that's all.

Nothing but simply appeasing fans. Making them feel like there was a serious competition. Media reports always mentioned how well Genos arm looks lol, and fans thought he must be legit. Remember the last few training camp practices Rex blasted Genos poor play.

The biggest clues on who was winning the competition were...
    From training camp to pre season MM AND REX were consistent with Sanchez. Not so consistent with Geno.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Mark had limited play in the exhibition season because of the injury. And he didn't win the so called competition. If so they would have announced him as the starting Qb. And they have so much invested in Mark believe me they wanted to. Lots of money plus four years and more. They wanted Mark to succeed. Again the same old story with Mark: turnovers esp red zone turnovers. Where was the improvement! Come into training camp and show you can move the ball and not turn it over. But he didn't. And a pick 6 to boot. And you want more of the same. More losing that is.

11. Ajitator

I'm tired of defending this point just to have people like you come in and blast nonsense. Mark did improve, and showed a much better understanding of the system with only just a few weeks of time.

Mark was not injured until the 3rd preseason game in the 3rd quarter. He never would have touched the field during the 4th game. So I don't know where you get the "Limited play because of the injury". Without the "mistake" from Rex putting Mark in to try and win the snoopy trophy there's no way in hell mark steps onto the field in the third quarter of the giants game either,. But he did.

You know what Mark did in that game, He went 5-6 for 80 yards with a drop, ( on the play with the injury ). Without his #1 WR, with a bunch of scrubs running routes for him in the 3rd quarter of a preseason game.

To say that he didn't show ANY improvement from previous year just shows your complete lack of knowledge of the game. He finished the preseason with a 66% accuracy. a full 10 points higher then his career average. If that's not improvement I don't know what you guys are looking for.

#891 Ajitator, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

People don't want to waste a roster spot on him. They'd rather see a different guy brought in to compete with Geno who is better then Sanchez. It's not as simple as "well if he sucks like you all think he does, Geno will beat him easily".

I'd rather see us go after a better option. I don't want to bring him back just to bring him back and let him compete.

The Jets could certainly do a lot worse then Michael Vick. He's had success in MM's system in the past. Could definitely win us games (when healthy).

Nobody is saying Geno is the answer (it least i'm not). If they bring in Vick and Vick beats out Geno, then by all means start Vick and lets see what we can do.

13. Ajitator

Bringing Sanchez back on a reasonable contract into training camp DOES NOT mean that we can't try and also bring in another option. On top of that, right now there are no better options. Regardless of how much you all hate Sanchez he's the best long and short term solution for this team given the current crop of free agents.

Vick is a 33 years old QB who's made most of his career with his legs. Do you really think that's better then a 27 year old who has had just as much ( technically more ) success but has had a hard time in the systems that he's run? Vick was under 55% completion any never considered a good passer until he started in Marty's system. Why are you so convinced the same turn around couldn't happen for Sanchez. And convinced so positively that you don't even want him in camp?

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Sanchez hasn't had more success then Vick. Vick's been way more productive, has been an MVP candidate in the past. Sanchez has never even been considered a top 20 QB in his best year. Vick's problem is his health. I have no doubt as a player he is better then Sanchez. The question about Vick is his durability. But if you brought him in and let Geno back him up that wouldn't be terrible.

Sanchez only completed over 55% of his passes one time in his career. Vick is his Atlanta days had seasons where he completed for of his throws then Mark averages out at. I now need a third offensive coordinator to tell me Mark's no good? Don't you think if MM saw enough from Mark this year in TC and pre season before he got hurt he would eventually push for Mark to come back and have another shot? If they don't resign Mark that probably will tell you what MM thinks of him as a player.

Besides that, just from a realistic standpoint, we know what Vick can do in a MM offense. We know he can be successful. We don't know if Mark can. He failed under Schotty, he failed under Sparano. Eventually the coordinators have to stop being blamed, the talent around him has to stop being blamed, and you have to place blame on the player. I'm not saying you don't. I'm just talking in general.

There are plenty of other options out there this team can look at. Vick is just one of them.

15. legler82

Geno is a 2nd round draft pick. Geno's leash thus far is already at historical lengths compared to other QBs drafted in the 2nd round picks and that's irregardless of his numbers which are poor. To guarantee him another 8 games would mean the Jets are giving him more opportunities than some QBs drafted in the 1st round, essentially treating him like a top 10 overall pick. Then when you factor in that Rex's job will be on the line, I can't see.

16. legler82

What the heck does that even mean or prove?

Sanchez

Vick before MM
    44.2, 54.9, 50.0 , 56.4, 55.3, 52.6

They are both terribly inaccurate.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It doesnt mean or prove anything.

I was responding to something the person I quoted said....

18. displacedfan

I'm not sure about CLE. The team seems to have no guidance right now and no plan. If they get it together, definitely, but right now from what I'm reading I have no confidence in their management.

Geno didn't really have a leash this past season. There was nobody behind him ready to step in. Yeah we can argue Simms should have gotten time earlier, but it wasn't a veteran waiting or Geno seat warming for a rookie. It wasn't really a leash, but choice of evils, go through growing pains with Simms or tough it out with Geno.

That's why I think in his 2nd year, the Jets will probably give him the halfway point. Obviously they could pull him earlier if he throws up 3 straight horrific games to start the season, but I think they'll give him half a season of average play to figure things out. If he has a rookie behind him like JF maybe that leash gets shorter, but I think around 8 games. Remember, if the talent increases around the QB, the Jets team should be able to win games without great QB play, something that can delay them in actually pulling the plug on a QB

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What about the pick 6 and the red zone turnover. And he didn't play that much. Where's the improvement. If he was lights out don't you think Rex would have named him the starter.

20. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Hey Junk,

I've found another guy you can beat your brains out to make a martyr: Tim Tebow.

I mean, let's not look at meaningless #'s, we both know how irrelevant those are.
    Instead, let's look at how many times he's been winning in the playoffs - you know that thing that's all that matters. /winkwink

Just look at this misunderstood stud!
    In basically his only season where he actually got to play some, not only did he "manage to WIN in January" [TM] (which we both know is much harder than any other month... eh... maybe because in every game one team gets eliminated... but that's just details...) - he did it having only played ONE real season.

Sure, he won one game, then lost the next to NE. But that can always be put on the defense, the special teams, the neglected weapons around him, the hot dog guy, etc.
    We'll work some excuse out, won't be a problem - you know the drill, you're the Bruce Lee of that kind of stuff.

But I mean - he's fucking 1/1 in playoff SUCCESS! "He helped them win" and all that jazz.

And the best part?
    He's available! Can you believe it??

Jesus Jr's accuracy might make him throw the ball out of the stadium during the regular season and go 3-13 or something, but as you know that's completely irrelevant - the guy is LEGIT in January!
    Let those regular fans idiots ramble on themselves, guys like us (real fans who know what we're watching) know there's only one thing that matters - in January Tim will get it done.

He's proved it every single season that he's gotten more than 4 starts, he just needs to be understood and anointed those starts. You know, get some trust and get another chance.
    We both know better than to listen to ppl like Westhoff and everyone around the league. Not be withheld by those regular fans "who don't know what they're watching".

C'mon - this guy is perfect as your next protoge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.