Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't believe it, I know it. Stevie Wonder could see Geno wasn't ready to play for most of this season let alone week 1 BUT I will give Idzik credit b/c geno did vastly improve late in the year, maybe he doesn't if he sits most of the year?

The GM had a mulligan year w/ the overblown cap problems and a lame duck HC. For Idzik it was about clearing cap space and gaining flexibility for 2014 and beyond.

teams give up on talent, it's hard to find QB talent. It's hard to find QBs that can play in January, we have one and we are giving up on him. I understand b/c of the cap issues to cut him but in the best interest of the team there isn't a better backup/competition QB out there. would Jet fans really prefer Chad henne or someone like that? seriously?

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well it seemed to be a blip. The rest of his game minus completion % seemed to go back to how he always played, so I wouldn't say MM fixed him. He got his completion % up, but just that alone is not fixing Sanchez. Sanchez's biggest problem is protecting the football. MM was able to fix that for one year with Vick, so I see that one year as Sanchez's one turnover free year, an outlier. The rest of Vick's career (a much larger size than Sanchez's) shows that he went back to his career average of int % and that the 1.6 was an outlier.

Ehh he threw the most attempts in a single season in his second year under MM. He had higher TD% in his 04, 05, and 06 season where he played 15 and 16 games.

But you also have to look at it now. Sanchez has a high contract, got hurt with a season ending injury, and had his only above average season 4 years ago now. You can say there is potential in every player, the Jets have to decide if it's worth it to keep Sanchez or just go the veteran backup route/draft. You also have to look at Vick as a whole, he had one above average year under MM and then slipped back into the average QB slot in the NFL. Is that what we are hoping MM does with Sanchez? If he turned Vick into an all pro for 2-3 straight years, I'd buy this argument more.

If Sanchez doesn't come back to the Jets, I'm not losing any sleep over it. If he succeeds somewhere else, good for him, I don't think he could/would have done that in NY.

3. nyjunc

he played a couple of preseason games under Marty w/ his top targets not playing while he was learning a new system. It wasn't a quick fix, it was a work in progress and he showed great signs early though still had some issues obviously.

displacedfan: you can say you don't think he could/would in the future but he already had success here so he clearly could do it in NY and on the biggest stage.

4. displacedfan

Vick had one good season, the season he and Sanchez drastically cut down from their career average at throwing INTs. Then his INTs rose, and his yards per play went drastically down. This also ignores the fact that Vick is a much better runner than Sanchez which helped the PHI offense in ways Sanchez or probably 95% of the QBs in the league is just not capable of.

I think if he gets another shot in NY, nobody is going to give him time to figure it out. It's one and done, short leash. Idzik has nothing tied to make sure Sanchez works, he's a holdover from the last regime, a contract mistake he has to clean up. So whenever he starts a game and then gets another start, he has to cement himself as a changed QB. The odds will be against him and the pressure immense.

If he goes to another team, he either will be a starter that's waiting for the rookie to learn which is almost no pressure. He would get at least 10 games to get into the flow of the offense, team, and system and get comfortable. If he goes somewhere to be a back, and a QB gets hurt or plays poorly, again he comes into a low pressure situation where he's expected to just hold the fort. Anything he does good will be regarded as unexpected and an improvement.

Basically, for him to stay in NY, his play has to jump to levels we have never seen before in a very short amount of time, or the Jets will move on from him. That's how I look at it, the Jets aren't tied to Sanchez anymore and MM and Idzik might not want another project on the team in addition to Geno.

5. nyjunc

It bothers me that we could let fan reaction dictate a move. I hate our fanbase.

6. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

No one is saying he's that good, Just saying he's better then the rest of the options out there, and if we can get him back on the cheap he has the most upside while at the same time being the best candidate to push and compete with Geno.

7. displacedfan

I don't think it's necessarily fan reaction, just from the top whether it's worth it or not.

If Sanchez remains on the Jets, it will be a low investment. Someone who is there just be a body at QB. He's not going to have the leash as he did in his first 4 years in the league because the investment behind will be very small. It's going to be a quick test, see if things have changed, and then boot him if nothing has. He can't have a 3 INT game, he can't turn it over at a high rate, etc etc because the Jets have no reason to keep on trying to get him to become a great QB.

If he goes somewhere else and becomes a starter for a rookie QB. The 3 INT game will be a 3 INT game. He will be pulled when the rookie is ready. The leash will be a bit longer, he will have more time because this new team is protecting their investment in the young QB. They don't really care how Sanchez does. IF he turns into a top QB by the end of the year, awesome for them. If not, they have the rookie to go to.

If he goes somewhere and is a backup, like Kellen Clemens, He's going to come in if the starter gets knocked out. Again, he throws 3 INTs in a game, oh well he's the backup, or season is kind of shot anyways. He'll get a longer leash in this scenario with absolutely 0 expectations.

Circle back to the Jets. I believe the Jets want competition for Geno through a veteran, something they never did with Sanchez. I think they'll want a veteran who can step in, protect the ball, and make few plays here or there. The idea would be to evaluate Geno or have competent backup ready for Geno if things go bad. If they bring Sanchez back, I don't really like him as a backup. If he comes back and wins the competition, he has a very short leash to produce. The Jets aren't going to wait to see if he can put it together. The expectations will be higher and Rex and company can't have a throwaway season while Sanchez figures it out.

So basically, I think he will have low expectations/more time in another job and in NY will have high expectations/less time in NY.

8. nyjunc

He doesn't deserve a leash at this point, I think this is Geno's job and he'd be the backup in case a)Geno got hurt or b)Geno plays like he did most of this year.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Answer this question if Sanchez is as good as you think, why would they draft a QB to compete with him? Especially a QB like Sanchez who was 26 at the time. Answer that question truthfully without delusions.

10. nyjunc

and if the goal was just to get rid of mark why did we wait until our 3rd pick in the draft? we had no backup, we needed a QB so we were going to draft one. If it was all about getting rod of Mark why would they wait until the 3rd pick?

add in a new GM who didn't get to pick his coach and wanted to pick his QB, that's why the "competition" lasted as long as it did. if Tannenbaum was back we still would have drafted a QB somewhere but Mark would have been starting.

11. The 1985er

Geno Smith was considered the best QB in the draft and he slipped to the 2nd round. Idzik would be crazy to pass on Geno especially considering that the Jets had a shaky QB situation.

You didn't even answer the question. I'll ask you and every Sanchez supporter. If Sanchez is as good as you claim why did they draft a QB to compete with Mark?

12. nyjunc

Great point so we weren't intending to take a QB in the first couple of rds but one fell to us, if the goal was to replace Mark for sure we would have taken Geno w/ one of our top 2 picks,

I completely answered and you backed it up.

To be clear, I have never said mark is great or would be great but I have seen a million QBs on our team. Some we gave up on too soon, others too late. I think it is foolish to give up on him too soon. In no way have I said we are going to the SB if he is our QB.

13. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Our previous options were McElroy, and Simms. Idzik just witnessed Russel Wilson beat out Matt Flynn and become a franchise QB. My guess is he was trying to see if he could see lightening strike twice and missed, ( at least in terms of finding a Russel Wilson'esque player ). Geno was not ready for starting in the NFL and basically was handed the job by default after Sanchez got hurt.

That's not to say he's not ever going to be a good QB, just that he didn't start out as one. Sanchez, while he has had his struggles, has still only started 18 more games then Geno. ( 78 - 60 ). They both still have loads of potential, and loads of learning to do. I don't know why we would want to eliminate Mark turning it around as a potential option.

14. The 1985er

My take on it is this. For example if Idzik was the GM of the Redskins, Colts, Steelers, Lions, Chargers etc. Idzik is not drafting a QB to compete with any of those guys. Idzik may have drafted a QB to strictly be a backup.

My point is that if Sanchez is good Tanny never even gets fired and Sanchez doesn't even have to compete for his job.

Agree or no?

15. nyjunc

Redskins? drafted 2 QBs in 2012
    Colts- drafted 2 QBs in 2012
    Steelers- Ben has 2 SBs and is a future HOFer
    Lions- maybe they should draft one?
    Chargers- they did draft a QB this draft

Tannenbaum didn't deserve to be fired but he did and we brought in a guy coming off a terrible 2012 year who saw value w/ his 3rd pick. if the plan was to take Geno he had not one but TWO chances to take him around the area geno was projected to be drafted.

You know Denver drafted a QB in rd 2 in 2012 right? after acquiring Peyton Manning.

Mark ended 2011 poorly and had an awful 2012, they were bringing in competition but he was easily beating out Geno until the injury.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This is the 2nd or 3rd reference to "fix[ing]" you've made. No one is talking about fixing anyone but you. What is your greater point exactly? Do you disagree that MM and the WCO tends to get the best of QBs? Do you think the fact that Vick's 3 highest CMP% and QB rating years were all with MM is some kind of fluke? That it's also coincidence that he’s had 5 different quarterbacks make the Pro Bowl or that Kevin Kolb looked good enough to yield the Eagles Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd-round draft pick as compensation in a trade?

Somehow I doubt you'd buy any argument that involves Sanchez being a positive to the Jets. "If he turned Vick into an all pro for 2-3 straight years..." is a ridiculous statement. MM is not some football God just a coach. He came scheme to put players in the best position to succeed but at the end of the day it how well the player performs is still driven most by their ability. You are distorting my position to make your anti-Sanchez argument. My position is that MM would be the guy to get the best out of Sanchez, what that is. His ceiling may be game manager or maybe pro-bowler, I don't think we really know yet.

You didn't even this as it's easy to read between the lines.

17. The 1985er

If it weren't Geno then it would be someone else. Whether it's Glennon, Barkley or Nassib. But either way they would've been brought in to compete.

You didn't answer the question you simply sidestepped around it.

Sanchez was given 4 years. I don't think they did him any favors in the sense that they didn't bring in great weapons. However if Sanchez had maintained a steady level of play. You'd feel good that if they brought in weapons his team would take off. Instead all he did was make an already bad situation and made it worse. Instead of slowing the bleeding, he hemorrhaged things. Instead of slowing the snowball he made it worst. Steve Young said it famously, you can't accelerate the down. No one was asking him to turn chicken salad from chicken shit, but to simply not make matters worse. It's the little things like this is why he's not a franchise QB.

18. nyjunc

and again none selected high.

he was given 4 years, was good in 3 of them, terrible in 1.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Why do Sanchez haters create positions to argue against? You constantly have to start responses with "no one is saying...", "I didn't say that...", "where did you see that in my post..."...etc. I guess they can't make a rational argument without make the other side seem as extreme as they are.

20. The 1985er

Read my post. If you have a Matthew Stafford you are not drafting a QB to compete with him. Kirk Cousins was drafted to be a backup, whoever the Colts drafted was brought in to be a backup. Whoever Denver drafted they're not competing with Peyton. If you have a QB in his prime years you are not drafting a QB to compete unless the incumbent is mediocre or worse.

If Sanchez "easily beat out Geno" why did the competition last so long? If someone easily beats out someone else I doubt they prolong the competition that long. Considering that reps are valuable. So you want your starter to get as much reps as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.