Top 50 Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 17, 2013.

1. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

I would consider very few NFL players to be smart, but even some less intelligent people have football IQ. Colon comes off as mature and reasonably intelligent. You could probably have a decent conversation with Willie Colon. Ducasse, I'm not sure but having a strong accent makes it harder to be perceived as well-spoken and if his wonderlic score was truly single digits, that indicates significant struggles with basic logical concepts.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he scored a 13, then I stand corrected. I remembered something like a 7 or 8. Even with a 13, that's not exactly a blazing intellect. I don't consider Marino or Kelly to have been particularly smart, either. You may have a point about his being an immigrant, and the cultural thing working against him. As far as not having played football for very long, imo that's not an excuse. Neither had Gholston. It was a reason to not have drafted either one, not an excuse for their not contributing much of anything in something like 6-8 years combined on the Jets. It just shows what a clueless doofus Tanny was and how he was in over his head.

UMass may not be a dummy school. I know nothing about it, but c'mon, you know as well as I that in probably 99% of universities football players and athletes in general have different, lower standards of acceptance than the general student population, and in many, if not most universities, much lower standards.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Given the fact that our top two guys at the position are fee agents and the latest news about Winslow, at least one new free agent TE would be a wise move.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's clear enough to me from Colon's interviews that he's reasonably intelligent. I attribute his penalties to laziness, lack of focus and probably him recognizing he doesn't have much more football left in him. Some people react to that recognition by telling themselves to focus even harder, to make the most of what little football career they have left. I'm thinking Willie is not one of those people. He sure doesn't look like it.

I don't mean this as a disparagement, but frankly Colon has been a bit of a disappointment. I questioned whether with his injury history that he would last the whole season, and he did. Good for him. But the penalties? The mediocre play at times? Yes, he was a mild disappointment despite sticking for the whole season.

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Jarius would be a dream come true.. Secondary of Milliner, Byrd, Allen and a healthy hip Cromartie... Fucking golden back there.

6. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I would agree he would be a hell of a signing, but there is just to many needs on this roster to command so much money at one position. Example: 2011 Troy Polamalu signed a 36.5mil 4 year deal, now fast forward to 2014 with an exceptional year behind him Byrd is going to command at least 45-50mil. I just don't see how you can justify that with the so many deficiencies else where.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Colon was absolutely a positive for the offense this season.
    have no idea where you are getting disappointment from..

in terms of the penalties, it has nothing to do with age or laziness as you claim. Throughout his career, he's been known for Holding and rough physical play. it's just his game, and always has been. you take the good which comes from that, along with the bad (penalties)..

Unless we are able to sign an Asamoah, i think Colon should absolutely be re-signed.

8. BacktoQueens

we absolutely need to sign a FA TE, and draft one, and maybe even look into an H-back..
    Winslow is gone, and Cumberland is far too inconsistent to merit a raise..

Pettigrew and Amaro would be awesome..

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your post does not contain a single indication that you are even aware of the too numerous motion infractions Colon committed this year. If you were not aware of them that would explain why you are not disappointed by them.

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

ample evidence, my ass

when you move to haiti, learn creole, and ace one of their contrived standardized tests that focus on a culture youve only been privy to for a few years, then you'll be qualified to assess vlads intelligence

until then, stick to football critiques

11. 518

518 Member

1st and foremost I think they should take the cap money and pay Mo Willkerson a reasonable contract that makes him a Jet through the prime of his career. I consider this to be a (free agent) type signing because you don't want him holding out or walking after his last year.

I would really like if we shored up the O-Line with a signing. I am not sure I trust Campbell and Aboushi to start with a developing Geno.

A DB would be good for depth purposes, be a dream if you can get a Talib for a decent price to throw Milliner in the slot. Byrd would be great, but I feel he will be too pricey.

WR FA's are not that great. I would take Nicks at a reasonable contract, we need help in the red zone, he is a great target with huge hands.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ok, let's say I'm wrong and he's not that dumb. The bottom line is he is living in the US now, NOT Haiti. The Jets aren't in Haiti and don't speak Creole. That he doesn't know our culture or language that well and has a problem learning to play his position is his problem. The Jets don't have forever to give him the time to learn. Other players have moved to the US from other cultures, countries, including Africa and Asia, and haven't seemed to have the problems he has had. Maybe all of them moved here younger. I don't know.

The bottom line is that my comments were NOT meant racially, and he's not getting the job done. The Jets have given him 4 years. They need the cap space and roster spot for someone who can be more productive. I don't wish him ill, and in fact hope that he can find some kind of meaningful work, or maybe catch on with another team. I just don't think that he's ever going to develop into a quality OL.

13. BacktoQueens

If some motion infractions are the basis of your disappointment, u clearly aren't seeing the entire picture
    And if penalties in general have disappointed u, I'm going to guess u never saw him play b4 this year. This is nothing new
    That is who colon is. The reason he's been in league this long is that the good far outweighs the bad

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id absolutely hate if we drafted Milliner at #9 to put him in the slot. Its bad enough we drafted Kyle Wilson at the end of the 1st to be a nickel CB.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

vlad speaks english well enough but i suspect learning a new cadence will take longer because there is still a barrier there. he plays well enough that i think the cs will give him a chance to put it together all things considered. before it was his pass blocking keeping him on the bench but he started getting pre snap penalties IIRC and losing focus. it really depends on how well he does in practice honestly, and i dont think any of us can really judge that.

16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Not its not.

17. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Why would you move Milliner to the slot? Put Talib at #1 corner, Milliner at #2 and Wilson at slot.. Bye Cro..

18. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on McCluster? Doesn't seem certain he's back in KC. He'd be cheaper than Decker. Might be a decent weapon...

19. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if we signed McCluster, and then released Mike Goodson. McCluster is a better player than Goodson.

McCluster and Decker are way different players, though.

20. cambam71

cambam71 Member

Agreed on McCluster and Goodson...plus McCluster seems as if he's a good guy, where as Goodson....well...let's just say he was on the top of my "Could have happened to a nicer guy" list with the knee injury.