Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

It was more a generalization about the types of posts in these Sanchez threads, but let me ask you this.

How is it obvious? How can you say "without a doubt" he should be cut. You claim that it's such a clear cut decision to get him off the team and that anyone brought in will be an improvement when it's not. Nothing in the NFL is certainty.

New Yorkers not liking Sanchez is not a reason for him getting cut.
    Jets fans not liking Sanchez is not a reason for him getting cut.
    New York Media not liking Sanchez is not a reason for him getting cut.

Provided Sanchez does restructure, Having a clear cut better option on the team with a contract is the ONLY reason to want him gone right now.

Unfortunately that option right now doesn't exist. It's not like 2 years ago when Peyton was looking for a team, It's not last season where Alex Smith is losing his job and looking for a team. The FA's we're looking at being available are bums tossed onto the scrap heap. Saying that any of them are significantly better then Sanchez is just subjective opinion.
    Objectively, Sanchez is the best option on the market right now. If he was on any other team we'd be clamoring to bring him in as the competition for Geno. All the "fans" here need to put their Egos aside and realize that.

#781 Ajitator, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I like how you accuse someone of being subjective and then just state something like this. No, it isn't objective fact. It's your opinion that he's the "best option on the market right now."

Furthermore, maybe there aren't a lot of QBs on the market today but that doesn't mean there won't be between now and the start of the season. Most guys don't get cut after wild card weekend. Maybe Sanchez will be the best option available for next year and maybe not, it's too early to tell because we don't know who else will be available through free agency, trade and the draft.

Finally, you are talking about a guy who had a bad year two years ago and a terrible year last year and didn't even play this year as he required season ending shoulder surgery. A guy who in his last two seasons had 49 turnovers and 39 TDs. Are you saying that if his name wasn't Sanchez that you'd be clamoring for a guy like that?

Btw: Those are objective facts.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

hes not from any other team though, he's from an organization where he's regressed thats looking to develop a replacement.

he might be a decent low cost option for some other team looking for experienced competition bait, but for a team looking to move on from him as a face of the franchise he's not so good that he just has to be kept.

This really is the line that divides the conversation isn't it? he's really not worth that effort, certainly not to restructure the 40 million he'll make in the next 3 years and probably not even worth it to cut and resign.

hes proven himself to NOT be that kind of player, thats the point, we're working on another guy now.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're vastly underrated the influences fans and the media have, particularly on a quarterback in New York that is emotionally fragile. Like it or not, Sanchez takes a lot of this stuff very personally whether he states it or not. He represents that he is emotionally fragile through his inability to keep his head up, his poor body language after a bad play, and his struggles when there is adversity.

Confidence is huge with quarterbacks and when a quarterbacks confidence is ruined in a specific place, the best thing they can do is get out and try another situation. Look at Alex Smith. Stayed in the same place, but had a new regime instilled new confidence in him. The coaching staff is essentially the same, and he really has no place here.

How is he the clear cut best option on the market? Has he really shown you that much to be better than guys like McCown or Shaun Hill? Not to say they're much better options, but Marky definitely isn't the 'clear cut' best option.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm a Ponder hater. Still don't know how he was drafted in the 1st round.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Excellent counter and that's coming from someone who would like to bring Sanchez back at a reduced price in 2014. Points like these have been few and far between. It's been mostly "he sucks", "move on", "let's not hurst Geno's progression"...etc.

7. Ajitator

I concur if there's a better option that gets cut we should explore it, But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get into the best possible situation in the current state of the league. Having Sanchez restructured and on the team doesn't stop us from exploring those options later, In fact it might make things easier for us. ( Would be a shitty move on our part to ask Sanchez to restructure and then cut him anyway, But this IS a business ).

Find me a free agent QB with a better W/L % then Sanchez. That is an objective fact that he has a better win % then any other FA QB on the market *right now*. ( RIGHT NOW - which is what we're talking about ). Not trying to make some flimsy guess as to who will be available in 4 months.
    If you honestly think that Sanchez is to blame for 2012 then I have to inquire if you watched any of last season.

How many times did Sanchez complete a couple passes and look like he might get into a rhythm just to have Tebow trot onto the field for a delay of game or < 2 yard run up the gut.

How many QBs had to learn a new offensive system and then lose his #1 receiver 3 weeks into the season and then had throw the ball to 17 different receivers throughout the year on a roster already void of talent at the WR position.

*** Only 1 of the WRs he was throwing to that year are still in playing roles in the NFL ( Kerley ).***

Fast forward 1 year, Sanchez plays a solid ( mostly ) mistake free preseason I'll admit, Pick 6 to Ansah was cringeworthy, But he put up solid numbers after that. To me there's absolutely no way you can claim Geno won the starting job during training camp and without the injury Sanchez would have opened the season as our starter. Geno showed signs of improvement ( minor ) towards the end of the season and I would love to see the competition next season with both of them having a year of Marty's ( read Real NFL OC ) system.

Long story short there's absolutely no one better suited *right now* on the market to replace Sanchez as competition for Geno. For a number of reasons. Assuming that Sanchez wasn't going to improve at all with more talent at just about every position and minus Tebow and Fist Pump Tony on the sidelines just doesn't seem right to me.

Mark Sanchez is still younger then just about every FA QB available and has shown that in spurts he can play like top tier NFL QB. His problem was always consistency and that usually comes with maturity and learning what you can and can't and do and don't have to do as the QB of your team. We all knew he was raw coming out of college ( only 16 starts ), But we never really gave him the time to do so. He handled it fairly well in years 1 and 2 but then was asked to take a step forward with having the entire team take a step back. ( losing talent on both Off and Def, and letting Sanchez' most trusted WRs walk for no reason ( JCo and Bray ).

#787 Ajitator, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Ok, I feel obligated to make a comment here. Everyone is clamoring about how much he progressed his last 4 games, especially his last game.

Go look at the tape of the last 2 games and watch how many throws he made to Kerley and Holmes forcing them to dive for the ball with no chance for YAC. Nobody is expecting him to be perfect, but unless he has a completely clean pocket and sets his feet, he is NOT hitting guys in stride giving them YAC opportunity.

Kerley and Holmes are constantly going to the turf to catch balls. Those are not accurate completions, those are simply completions.

_

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he definitely had a few of those, some not the best passes but others in spots only his receivers could get to and not bad passes.

10. JStokes

I'm having a tough time reconciling 4 games in a row with less than double digit completions, completion percentages of 42%, 35%, 41% and 40% with 6 INTs and no TD passes. Mark had some awful games in 2009 but nothing like that stretch.

_

11. JStokes

He throws a beautiful ball with a clean pocket and feet set.

_

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Geno is terrible. Bottom line. I hope he improves, but I doubt it. He isn't even good at using his legs. It really is amazing the Jets won 8 games. He did improve in the final 4 games though, but it would have been VERY difficult to not improve from being completely awful. No doubt, as Jets fans we want him to succeed, but I am not sure he will. The hope is that he progresses into Year 2 and makes fewer mistakes. Not a guarantee though.

13. nyjunc

I still hate his delivery, he gets it out fairly quick but there's a lot going on there.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I've watched a lot of Geno's tape and his footwork needs a lot of help. The amount of overthrows or high passes are alarming, but can be improved with proper coaching.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Really? Because Mark had four games with less than double digit completions, two 3 INT games, a 4 and a 5 INT game.

He reached 20 completions once, while Geno four times.

You must not have a very good memory of how poor Sanchez played despite his supporting cast.

16. JStokes

That's unfair, I think. I don't think he is terrible, my concern is that he just doesn't have to football IQ to become a great NFL QB.

Look at the guys in the playoffs still standing--all of those guys are brilliant brilliant QBs other than Cam and Kaep, but they are such a physical talents that they make up for the lack of brilliance. And Kaep is on his way to being brilliant.

_

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Staffords had productive games throwing the ball to Kevin Oggletree and Nate Burelson. I can find other QB's without elite talent as well who have been successful.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Go look at Garrard and Schaub's seasons in 2010. How is Sanchez better? He's not. You judge a QB based soley on whether or not they make the playoffs and win games. That's not how you judge a player. Freeman's 2010 was awesome. For you to just say "never really in the race" shows me your not judging a player based on his performance. Your taking the teams performance and throwing it all on the QB....except when the Jets play poorly and Mark is the QB...

19. nyjunc

Sanchez had 3-4 awful games but even in thoe awful games I never felt hopeless like this year at Cincy, at Ten, vs. Miami, vs. Pitt, at Buf, etc...

75% of his INts came in 27% of his games but in those games:

3 at NO, we trailed 17-0 but eventually it was 17-10 and we had the ball
    5 vs. Buf, we lost in OT
    4 at NE, trailed 24-0 but got it to 24-14
    3 vs. Atl, lost on late blown lead by D

mark was MUCH better in 2009 than Geno in 2013.

20. Ajitator

I'm not sure where this "fragile" stuff comes from. I've never seen anything but integrity from this guy and has made it 4 years in NY being one of the worst QBs statistically in the league. He has issues with body language and sideline stature his rookie year but I can't remember anyone complaining about that kind of stuff after that. He's always said the right thing during post-games.

If anything I've heard people here complain about the fact that he wasn't rattled enough by being boo'ed and didn't "take games seriously enough". With the way he handled post game pressers. He came out mid season this year and claimed that he won the starting job and wants to come back here and win it again. That doesn't sound like someone who wants out or whose confidence is shot.

The answer to this question is yes, Mark is absolutely better then those 2 QBs.

McCown is not even close.

With Shaun Hill, Not only has he been able to go through an entire year as a starter without getting hurt, but he also has played on teams totally void of talent the likes of what Hill had in SF and Det

Mark Sanchez - 37/31 .544%

Shaun Hill - 13/13 .500%
    SF: Frank Gore, Vernon Davis
    DET: Jahvid Best, Calvin Johnson.

Luke McCown: 2/7 .222% Enough said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.