Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

While I agree that Mark is an inaccurate quarterback; that's a poor example. That was a very small window; even the most accurate of passers would have had difficulty squeezing that in there. If anything, it probably falls under the category of poor decision.

I think turnovers play a bigger role in wins and losses in the NFL than plays down field. Also, with Mark we would seen a lot more play action as he has the footwork to where he can take 3-5-7 drops from center w/o ending 50 yards away from the LOS. We had enough of a running attack that would have lended itself to an effective play action game. However, because of Geno's abysmal footwork most of those plays were scratched for mostly plays out of shotgun.

#761 legler82, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

we want to think of him as the same guy that beat the pats in the post season, that that guy is just waiting to be unleashed, but a hard regression from that point and oh so many chances already given suggests a sixth year isn't in the cards.

not even to compete as a vet backup, its a player quality and organizational move, they want to see if geno can take a step forward this offseason but they're not willing to kick the tires on the last guy to be their plan B.

we may see a QB drafted in the 3rd or 4th or anybody not named sanchez in that role instead.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nah, that will only prove that he didn't get a chance. Just like the new ESPN/SEC "analyst."

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But do you really want to draft a quarterback and try to develop him along with Geno? Or bring in a veteran that knows he's only there to come in if Geno absolutely sh*ts the bed early on in the season, and tag it with the 'quarterback competition' moniker.

I just don't get why people don't weigh risk with reward. Geno & Sanchez are about on par with their rookie seasons while Geno played with piss poor offensive talent. Sanchez has shown regression since his rookie season and the ceiling on him is pretty clear. The ceiling on Geno isn't really known, but he has shown the tools to be successful. One turnover prone rookie season doesn't mean you throw the guy away. Four regressive seasons is just about all you need to see for a guy that has no confidence anymore.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you guys forget all the big time throws he made his first few years and instead focus on 2012.

Come on, he was MUCH better than geno even at his worst in 2012. Geno played better late and that play was similar but for most of the year there's no doubt we win a couple more games with a vet starting QB.

The only game Smith won that mark may not have was Atlanta as Geno was really good all night. Other than that I don't see any we wouldn't have won w/ mark and some of those close ones wouldn't have been as close.

did you actually watch him play this year?

I am happy the way geno ended the year, he was playing much better and finally looked like an NFL QB but 75% of the season he looked lost and was terribly inaccurate.

How many times did we see Holmes, Braylon, Cotch take short passes in stride and get good YAC? to say he couldn't make those throws is silly and the last time he had a deep threat(Braylon) he completed a million deep throws including one of the most perfect passes you will ever see vs. Houston in that great comeback in 2010.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Well they can't go into next year with just him and Simms. He has a lot of promise but its best to have a contingency. I'd rather a vet, A Henne or somebody that will be happy to get the chance and can dispense knowledge themselves.

Hes in the drivers seat and its his if he wants it but just keep pushing him.

7. nyjunc

there will be a vet brought in w/o a doubt unless we take a QB in the draft.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How did Mark vastly outplay Geno in their rookie seasons? Geno was better in just about every statistical category including yards, touchdowns, quarterback rating, multi-touchdowns games, completion percentage, rushing yards, and yards per completion.

With a terrible offensive unit and a lesser defense/special teams!

9. legler82

He overthrew, underthrew, sidethrew, widethrew and all the threws this season. Did you miss the deep outs that sailed over the head of 6-5 David Nelson or when the ball would go directly out of bounce. To be fair I do think Geno is more of a naturally accurate QB than Sanchez. When he is inaccurate it's because one of the following: bad mechanics, poor anticipation or overconfidence in his arm which is not as good as he thinks. These are all correctable. Sanchez's accuracy, however, comes and goes as it depends on him being in rhythm. The scheme and play calling is important for his accuracy and success.

I saw the opposite. Aside for a bad spell in the middle of the season, I thought Geno made proper reads a lot of the time. A lot of his INTs were a result of poor throws stemming from the same issues I mentioned above.

Maybe. The numbers seem about the same but not everyone saw the same things from each QB. He will get another shot no doubt but it will be one with competition.

Mark can be done as the unquestioned starter w/o having being done with this franchise. Competition should not alter Geno's progression. If it does, he may not be the guy.

The pass you give a 5th overall draft pick with a pre-rookie scale contract that you traded up for and who became part of a team that went to the AFCCG will be different from the one you give a 2nd round value draft pick.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I agree, he has a decent arm but certainly not a cannon.

vick, rodgers, cutler. those guys have cannons.

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Did you see Winslow step behind the defender and stop short? Sanchez threw it where it was suppose to be and 9 times out of 10 would of been a TD if the receiver did their job. I wonder if that was completed whether or not that would allowed many here to cut him some slack during the preseason. Again, Sanchez did show some progression in completing effective screen passes and hitting WR in stride. Overall he had good preseason but here it was a terrible performance.

12. nyjunc

did you watch both of them play? it wasn't close. I don't care about #s. Mark's INTs came in bunches, mostly in 3-4 games. Geno consistently turned it over all year long.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

for the majority of the season Geno has been off and he butt fumbled at a faster pace than Sanchez despite being said to being more mature (even though draft day proved otherwise) and having more college games under his belt.

14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

This is definitely just your opinion, and a bias towards Geno.

There were just as many times during the year that I found myself saying "If he just put the ball in the right spot that would have been 6". He's not as accurate as some people think and there was definitely a point ( during his 4 week slide ) that he was short striding every throw ( maybe scared winters was gonna get him killed ) and in return every throw was sailing high away from our receivers.

15. legler82

If Winslow was suppose to cross the face of the defender, then you are right that would have been a TD. If the route called for him to get behind the defender, then that was first a bad decision followed by a poor throw. I tend to believe it was the former and not the latter. Sanchez first looked left before throwing low towards Winslow's direction barely having the chance to look as though he expected Winslow seal the defender. That's what you normally expect from your TE at the goal line. Problem was Winslow who probably sees himself as a WR tried to juke and get behind the defender.

16. BravesNolesnJETS12

BravesNolesnJETS12 New Member

If I was the Jets, I would cut Sanchez if I couldn't trade him(which is practically insane). I would love for the Jets to trade for Christian Ponder of the Vikings believe it or not. I think that this guy is very talented, but in Minnesota he was never really given a chance to shine considering he was always in the shadow of All Day # 28. If you did what we are talking about doing in the draft and through free agency and load the Jets with talented tools at the WR,TE,OL, and RB positions(which is what they should do)...I honestly believe that Christian Ponder would be an awesome fit in the Green & White. The guy is as smart a QB as you will find in the NFL. If you get him a big target, one deep threat(he doesn't throw it deep often, but he can and who really needs to in Marty's scheme) and a slot guy(Kerley will do here) and a tight end or even two that he can hit as a safety valve, or even a threat across the middle then I believe Ponder would beat out Geno,Simms,Sanchez & anyone else out in a QB battle mainly due to his accuracy and his QB IQ.....He is similiar to Chad Pennington when it comes to knowing the game, but he has a better arm and he can run/throw on the run a little better. I'd certainly look to trade for Ponder, because it seems like Minnesota has given up on him....Thoughts? (Remember, he took the Vikings to the playoffs in his rookie season).

17. BravesNolesnJETS12

And yes, while I liked Sanchez at 1st, unfortunately his time in New York should be done. I'd cut him w/ out a doubt.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

After reading this I have changed my mind. We should extend him and make him the starter in perpetuity. If nothing else he hit bottom and is likely to bounce.

19. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Blind, unfaltering hatred

Less then funny sarcasm, backing up blind hatred

[ Thread in a nutshell ]

20. BravesNolesnJETS12

Please explain how I showed any type of "hatred" towards Sanchez? Especially Blind hatred? I gave my reasons for wanting Ponder as a Jet and personally, especially with Geno in town it's obvious that Mark's time in NY is done unfortunately...Like I said...I liked the guy at QB, but New Yorkers hate him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.