One year extension?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 30, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There's no point in bringing in a big time defensive coordinator when rex is here. Rex is calling the defense.

Idzik just wants someone to learn the scheme IMO.

2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

Idzik is running the show now. Rex will do what he is told. Idzik wants a head coach and is paying big money. Either Rex transforms himself into one or he goes. Why should anyone care if he gets an extension? The offensive coaches MM and David Lee and their work with Smith are the real reason Rex is coming back. Rex"s future as coach of the Jets depends on Geno's improvement.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The coaches you just mentioned care.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good points. Btw, though, I don't see Ryan as having all that much leverage here. To be specific I don't think he can get away with forcing the FO to give him free reign to keep or change out whoever he wants in the CS. Sure he can refuse to sign an extension and then might get fired, but I don't think he would then want to apply for anohter HC job having that story following him. He is better off appearing he is willing to compromise with his GM.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They shouldn't allow Rex to pick any of the offensive position coaches. Much like the Morningweg hiring last year -which came from the top, that should happen again at some of the other offensive position coaching spots... This team needs a new WRs coach and a new RBs coach, and preferably someone good coaching them, not friends of Rex Ryan...

This team is in such a weird spot right now. Transition without real transition. makes me a bit nervous

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I guess it's two things that might not end up amounting to much, but they might. The first is a rumored story that Idzik wants Rex to change out the DC for Idzik's pick.

The second is no news at all about Rex's contract status. Here I guess the speculation is that they would need to give him at least a year's extension to keep him and the rest of the CS in place, which I agree with. And if they had a deal by now, they would have announced it. So why no deal?

That's what it is.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i get that but ive said this before in the thread and stand by it

this jets regime is not going to placate the media. they are working on football and everything else is second fiddle.

while its possible there are problems going on between the FO and rex, its also possible that they just dont really care to make a public announcement while in the middle of rebuilding this team and figuring out what pieces are needed, where to spend the money, who to draft, who to cut, who to extent, who to fire, who to hire, what scheme changes might be necessary, what players are going to hit the market, what players are open for trade, etc.

i just dont see making a public announcement being a priority for idzik right now

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't believe teams are obligated to make the coaches contracts public. seems i remember there being a question about belicheck's status a few years back.
    personally i like the fact that the press can only speculate and all these rumors fly. idzick and rex are probably sitting and laughing now

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This Jets regime publicized the video of Woody announcing to the players that Rex was back and the ensuing celebration by the players as if they'd just won the superbowl. That's hardly doing business behind closed doors.

"We're in the media business" - Woody Johnson

10. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yes and that is probably all we are going to get by way of a public announcement. what the hell is the point of a press conference announcing the contract extension?

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you honestly think the Jets would extend Rex and not announce it? Why the hell wouldn't they announce it? To be super secret? Cool.

If and when Rex is extended the entire world will know.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

^This. The Jets do nothing good in secret. They overpublicize any and all news in the organization. Rex can't even keep his fetishes to himself.

13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

idzik was supposed to change the culture; that means no more media attention whoring.

we know rex is back next season. what else do the fans need to know? i really dont see the big deal here

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So what exactly was the video?

We'll know Rex is back for sure when they announce the extension.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

One can hope.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Jets fans are so impatient. It was the same way after last season ended and we were looking at GMs. They want everything addressed immediately otherwise there must be some crazy drama or conspiracy going on. Last year at this time it was, "oh nooooz! No GM wants to have Rex forced on them!!!! That HAS to be why we didn't get a GM within a week of searching!!!!"

You are dead on. The Jets don't give a shit about the media or overly demanding fans. They are going to do things at their own pace. The off season is just over a week old. I firmly live by the motto, "Take your time and do it right." It beats the hell out of having to do something twice or getting stuck with an inferior product because you rushed it out without scrutinizing it. Rushing is bad and never leads to sustained long term success. Let's simmer down. We have a while to go before FA even begins. It must be a NY thing, because I don't know anybody else that acts so dramatic and wants things rushed as badly as Jets fans on here.

#137 Barcs, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is smart by Idzik if he can pull it off. It sounds like the extension Rex is going to get is just going to avoid a lame duck year and there are going to be pieces put in place in case Rex falters.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Your posts really do get dumber and dumber. Woody doesn't care about the media? Woody doesn't care about fans opinion? You are a complete, pathetic, stupid, dumbass if you think that.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Holy fallacy machine, batman. Try READING my post in its entirety before quote mining me out of context like that. You should know better. The point was that they aren't going to rush important decisions because fans are demanding answers or the media wants to know. I didn't insinuate anything close to what you said, but yeah keep those insults coming and keep quoting me out of context. Typical cop style of bullying.

#140 Barcs, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014