What's your dream offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 2, 2014.

1. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl: love it

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We don't have to blow it all but Hill,Holmes,Gates need to be replaced by players who can contribute.And Cumberlands decent but not a num 1 TE.Id like to see some proven talent come in so we don't have to rely on the rookies we draft right away on offense.

3. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

a good one.

4. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

My dream offseason is a complete revamp of the receiving corps, I want to see Holmes, Hill, and Gates cut and see us use a first on a WR and get two FA WR's, maybe guys like Decker and Maclin, or even Nicks.

5. Areodjarekput

Areodjarekput Member

Philosophy:
    2014 is the season where we find out if Geno Smith is the real deal. With 12 draft picks and a ton of cap space, we should look to lay the groundwork for deep playoff runs over the next several years, rather than making big moves which could help us now, but constrain our future flexibility.

Cuts:
    Sanchez
    Santonio Holmes
    Antonio Cromartie*
    Clyde Gates
    Mike Goodson

Three bloated contracts dropped in Sanchez, Cromartie and Holmes, and addition by subtraction with Gates and Goodson. The only question mark is Cromartie, who might need to be restructured rather than cut, depending on how the FA market plays out.

Let go (expiring contracts):
    Willie Colon
    Calvin Pace
    Josh Cribbs
    David Garrard
    Kellen Winslow
    Lex Hilliard
    Darius Reynaud
    Jermaine Cunningham

Willie Colon was tied for 2nd in the league with 11 penalties, many of which were pre-snap penalties. Calvin Pace is aging, and, while he had his best statistical season this year (hitting 10 sacks for the first time), I was not impressed with his play, and saw the sack total as a product of the play of the rest of the defense. For the right price, I would consider bringing back Kellen Winslow or Josh Cribbs, but wouldn't be upset if they left.

Sign:
    Sam Shields, CB
    Jason Worilds, OLB
    Geoff Schwartz, OG
    Josh McCown, QB

Sign Sam Shields to replace the aging Antonio Cromartie, Worilds to play OLB opposite Coples, Geoff Schwartz to replace the penalty machine Willie Colon at RG, and Josh McCown as a backup QB. Shields will command the largest contract of the group, but due to the possibility of having Verner, Cromartie and even Revis on the market, I think we could sign him for a reasonable price. If the contracts get too big, restructure Cromartie to spread his 15M this year over 2-3 years.

Extend:
    Muhammad Wilkerson
    Jeremy Kerley

Sign Wilkerson and Kerley to front-loaded, long-term contracts. Locking up the players we are looking to build around should be the top priority outside the draft, as we have a ton of cap space this year, and did not use much of it for FAs. Front-loading their contracts will give us added flexibility in the coming years, when we should hopefully only be a piece or two away from a deep playoff run.

Resign:
    Austin Howard
    Nick Folk
    Ed Reed
    Jeff Cumberland
    Leger Douzable
    Darrin Walls
    Aaron Berry
    Josh Mauga
    Vladimir Ducasse
    Ellis Lankster

Like Wilkerson and Kerley, I would try to lock Austin Howard up for a few years by frontloading his contract as much as possible. He's been our best offensive lineman this season, and if Brick and Mangold are really declining, it's imperative to retain Howard. After his play this season, and his clutch streak during his tenure as a Jet, I would sign Folk to a multi-year contract. Reed returns, but Antonio Allen starts - Reed's role is as a situational 3rd down player, and a mentor to our young secondary, potentially setting him up to return as DB coach under Rex next year. If Dee Milliner's late season improvement can be attributed to Reed's veteran presence, it more than justifies his salary. I'd also resign a number of our young players - Douzable, Walls, Berry, Ducasse, as well as our special teamers Mauga and Lankster.

Draft:
    The draft includes 4 compensatory picks, a 4th for LaRon Landry, a 5th for Mike DeVito, and 2x 7s for Yeremiah Bell and Matt Slauson, based on the info found on thejetsblog.com (I would have posted a link, but I think this is only my second post here).

Round 1: Sammy Watkins/Marquise Lee, WR
    Round 2: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round 3: David Yankey, G, Stanford
    Round 3: Odell Beckham/Jarvis Landry/Donte Moncreif, WR
    Round 4: Craig Loston, SS, LSU
    Round 4 (comp): Dri Archer, WR/RB/KR/PR, Kent State
    Round 5: Jonathan Brown, OLB, Illinois
    Round 5 (comp): Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    Round 6: Antone Exum, CB/S, Virginia Tech
    Round 7: Antwan Lowery, G, Rutgers
    Round 7 (comp): Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon
    Round 7 (comp): Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State

I think Sammy Watkins misses our pick, and we end up grabbing Marquise Lee in the first. Also, I'm hoping one of Odell Beckham/Jarvis Landry/Donte Moncreif will be available in the 3rd, and if they are, I would grab one and not look back. Yankey and Loston address positions of need, Brown, Exum, and Lowery provide depth, and our compensatory picks have been used on project players with high upside - Archer as a weapon on offense and special teams (and as a replacement for Goodson), Lyerla as an elite prospect with off the field issues, Seantrel Henderson as a potential replacement for Brick or Howard down the line, and Kirby Van Der Kamp to replace Ryan Quigly.

Updated Depth Chart:

QB: Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Matt Simms
    RB: Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Dri Archer, Alex Green
    FB: Tommy Bohanon
    WR: Watkins/Lee, Beckham/Landry/Moncrief, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, David Nelson
    TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Colt Lyerla, Zach Sudfeld
    LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Seantrel Henderson
    LG: David Yankey, Brian Winters, Caleb Schlauderaff
    C: Nick Mangold, Dalton Freeman
    RG: Geoff Schwartz, Will Campbell, Antwan Lowery
    RT: Austin Howard, Oday Aboushi

RDE: Sheldon Richardson
    NT: Damon Harrison, Kenrick Ellis
    LDE: Muhammad Wilkerson, Leger Douzable
    ROLB: Jason Worilds, Antwan Barnes, Johnathan Brown
    ILB: DeMario Davis, Troy Davis
    ILB: David Harris, Nick Bellore
    LOLB: Quinton Coples, Garret McIntyre
    CB: Sam Shields, Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson, Antone Exum, Ellis Lankster, Isaiah Trufant
    SS: Dawan Landry, Craig Loston, Jaiquawn Jarrett
    FS: Antonio Allen, Ed Reed, Josh Bush

K: Nick Folk
    P: Kirby Van Der Kamp
    LS: Tanner Purdum

Concerns heading in to the 2014 season:
    1. QB: Will Geno Smith improve him 2014?
    2. SS: Can Loston earn the starting spot? If he can't, can Dawan Landry hold it together while Loston develops?
    3. OL: Are Brick and Mangold declining? Can Yankey step into a starting role?
    4. WR/TE: Our receiving corp is stocked with playmakers, but will their inexperience be a factor?
    5. HC: What is the future of Rex Ryan?

Our top concerns this offseason (WR, TE, G, S, and OLB) are all addressed through FA/the draft, but questions do remain, mainly because most of those needs will be filled by rookies. Those questions could be addressed by adding more free agents (TJ Ward, Jeremy Maclin, and Jon Asamoah come to mind), but with the contracts of Wilkerson, Howard, and Kerley, and the upcoming extensions for Richardson, Harrison, and others, I'd rather keep the future flexibility in case some of the picks this draft don't pan out, or we find ourselves in need of a QB.

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY CUT CLYDE GATES!!!!

And draft McCarron, Murray or Mettenberger

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

Good off season plan. I agree with a lot of what you advocate. I like the FAs you advocate signing, and the extensions, cuts, re-signees. I'd rather have Asamoah than Schwartz, but Schwartz may be more realistic. My only disagreement there would be Ducasse. I think Ducasse has had long enough and I don't think he will ever be a reliable player for the Jets.

In the draft, I would love getting both Lee and Seferian-Jenkins 1-2. I'm not wild about using one of the thirds on Yankey, and the position probably does need shoring up, but I'd hate it if they lost out on Beckham, Landry, Moncrief or some other great WR prospect in taking Yankey. I love the Dri Archer pick, but again am not wild about Loston. I really think the Jets need a FS rather than a SS. Allen will be the SS, not the FS. We need a ballhawking FS.

I don't know anything about most of the guys from the 5th round on, but I like the positions you've addressed. The one guy you have mentioned that I would not want on the team unless he realizes he made a mistake with the coke and can convince the team that he's drug free, is Lyerla. I don't care how talented he is, we don't need that kind of distraction.

Overall, very good job and a sound plan.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Very good post.

If things panned out that way in the draft and on the market WOWWW we would be on the right track. Rex would keep his job, Idzik would look like a genious and Woody smack his dick against Kraft's wife's chin while Bobby looks on!

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think if one of those 3 are around in the 3rd round the Jets might use look at that option.

10. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

We will need to jump the Bills to get Sefarian Jenkins.

11. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

re-sign Wilkerson
    re-sign Folk
    re-sign Howard
    sign Maclin and or Tate
    sign Pitta or Graham
    sign Byrd

Draft BPA at 18

Keep Morningwheg, Kotwica, Thurman, Lee and Dunbar as our asst coaches

12. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Love this post... I like your draft although I don't think Lee or Watkins will fall to us, but I would not be upset to land Evans if he falls to us at 18, but what do you think of Eric Ebron at TE at 18 if Lee or Watkings are not available?

13. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

What about TY Zimmerman in the 3rd from Kansas State? He's a ballhawking FS and can possibly be had with our 2nd 3rd round pick and that allows A Dub to shift to SS

14. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Get Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, or the kid from the seminoles. Also some free agent safety and CB depth at o line, draft TE and one free agent WR. Back in the post season.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of him before, but am starting to like what I've read about him on this board. I need to do some research on him and look at some film. If he's as good as you and some others say, I'd love to add him to the team.

16. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

He's a beast and can possibly fall to us in the 3rd.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ Respectfully disagree with the beast tag.

If you liked Eric Smith you'll love Ty Zimmerman. Average speed and plays accordingly, covering for it by playing off with a huge cushion compounded by an early backpedal off the snap even with that big cushion (check out in particular, the KS-OU game). Good route runner could work underneath this guy all day.

NFL-wise, a very average athlete at best imo. Can take a bad angle on sweeps and can caught lunging while trying to tackle.

Would be surprised if someone spent a 3rd on him. 4-5 rounder. No thanks. jmho

#97 joe, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  18. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Thanks Joe ... what's your take on Coston then?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]umDr0mPuyQc[/YOUTUBE]

20. BravesNolesnJETS12

BravesNolesnJETS12 New Member

Mettenberger out of those 3 please...A.J. is a d.ouche and Murray is horrible....I'd rather wait for Winston or eve his backup Jacob Coker. We should draft as many Noles as we can ....Next year(Most of them will stay another year with Jameis Winston...Kelvin Benjamin is my top wish at WR {when he comes out} followed by Watkins or Evans)...Then we should draft Nick O'leary at TE, Rashad Greene at Wr(next year)Kenny Shaw a round later(next year) lol and draft LaMarcus Joyner and Christian Jones THIS YEAR...They are both MEN at their positions. Joyner will be another Captain Munneryn...WATCH!!!