With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Would be interesting won't be able to get both though.

2. Thrilla In Manila

Thrilla In Manila New Member

I don't follow college ball much so I can't really speculate on any player. However most of the mock drafts I have seen have us taking a TE with the 18 overall pick. This makes sense to me. Unless someone really good drops out of the top 10 I would say trading up is out. It would cost to much to go into the top 10. If at 18 all the offensive first round talent is gone trade down. Get more picks add more depth. I know we all have high expectations for next year but the reality is 2014 is not going to be a SB year for us. We are building a franchise for the long term not blowing our future for one season. ( like Tanny did for 2 years).

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I would not be surprised if S.L. takes him. I look at him as an amazing talent and see him as a modern day Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton scrambled all the time and was a bit undersized, but rarely missed any time due to injuries.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Tarkenton also evolved into an outstanding conventional pocket passer.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to remember about Tarkenton is that he got run out of Minny and then out of NY before he wound up having his great seasons back in Minny at the end.

He was an excellent prospect for a very long time.

6. Dierking

I'm not old enough to remember him on the Giants, is it really accurate to say he was run out of NY?

7. Br4d

The Vikings traded Tarkenton to the Giants for 4 high draft choices. Then the Giants traded Tarkenton back to the Vikings for a couple of high choices and Norm Snead.

How many high profile QB's were traded in their prime once, let alone twice?

You just don't do that if you have the guy you think is going to lead you to a championship.

That's my characterization of the situation. Both teams decided at one point or another that Tarkenton was not the guy and let him go.

8. Dierking

that doesn't mean either team was correct in their decisions. Norm Snead, Craig Morton, Joe Pisarchick, Jerry Goldstein. Lots of Hall of Famers followed Tarkenton in NY.

9. Br4d

I definitely get that. Just pointing out that when a Hall of Fame caliber QB is traded twice in his prime it usually means he wasn't seen that way at the time.

10. TheGreenLantern

Out of Watkins, Evans, and Lee, I'm expecting 2 of them to be there at 18. Hopefully we can snag one (preferably Evans, big receivers are starting to become unstoppable nowadays). If they're all gone I wouldn't mind going TE.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our top two needs are WR and FS. That's what the 1st round will be about.

If the BPA at 18 is a WR, then take him, cut Santonio, and re-sign Ed Reed.

If the BPA at 18 is a FS, then take him, cut Ed Reed, and re-sign Santonio.

Onto the 2nd round: TE, OL.

12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

So scenario 2 would be to resign a guy that is always hurt and isnt a real good receiver to begin with at this point? That doesnt make much sense. The talent level for receiver is the worst in all of football and needs to be addressed by the draft or FA. Ed Reed played well enough the last 4-5 games to warrant keeping him and going all out for the best receiver we can get our hands on.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

we better/need to draft either Watkins/Evans/Lee

14. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Giants traded for Fran after a disastrous 1966 1-12-1 season. It was a desperation move to the ascendancy of Joe Namath and the Jets. The Giants were scheduled to receive reparations from the Jets ($30m !) as well as the #1 overall pick in '68 (so much for St Wellington signing off on the merger out of the goodness of his heart).

In typical pre-George Young era mismanagement, they would up trading the '67 pick ( #2 overall) and the '68 pick (#1 overall compensation pick)
    to the Vikes for Tarkenton ('68 turned out to be Ron Yary BTW)

Tarkenton played well for the Giants and lead them to a good but failed run at the playoffs in the first merger season ('70). The Giants traded him back to the Vikings in '72 and Tarkenton lead them to three (losing) Super Bowl appearances. I don't recall if Tarkenton wore out his welcome after a 4-10 '71 season, or if the Vikes actively pursued him (they desperately needed a QB)

The interesting thing is that by trading Tarkenton and then trading him back to Minny, the Giants essentially built the Minnesota powerhouse of the 70s.

File under useless information:grin:

#174 Endlessly Counting, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I don't want to be the message board hater - but I really question your mind-set sometimes. You did say that because we don't have Tom Brady, we have to keep drafting defense and ignore the offense because defense is the only way we can win games.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Christ, he was working his way off a Linsfranc, plus a torn hammie, both of which will be fully healed come next September. And yes, Santonio Holmes would be light years better than ANY WR Idzik might score from the college ranks.

He'd be overpriced and temporary, but a 2014 solution non the less. A better solution then 'reaching' for the next Stephen Hill part 2.

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Oh wow that'd be terrible.. Plenty of other receivers that are actually good that will be signed ahead of Holmes

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There is no chance in hell Holmes is on this squad next season. Take that money we will save from cutting Holmes and sign Golden Tate - who is younger and to be honest a better player right now.

19. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how Baltimore and Shittsburgh get higher picks than us even though they beat us? Fucking ridiculous

20. Br4d

I think Jeff Fisher is on the hot seat going into next season. Not sure he'd rather have a rookie QB in that situation than the best OT in the draft. The Rams line was an issue all season.