Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I for one am not going to buy this beware if you cut Mark Sanchez because he might still end up being good or great. If so good for him. Maybe even a new environment would help him. But I believe it won't be that easy for him to get another job unless he drastically cuts his salary expectations. There is not a whole lot of respect for him around the league. Only the loyal Sanchize fans who will never forget the two AFC championship playoff games and still give him too much credit for those Ws. I think that Idzik is smart enough to cut ties. And go forward. Mark is a backward step and to me should be cut asap. Let's sign a good veteran Qb to compete with Geno not same old same old.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of liking or disliking a Qb. It's what's on the table and what's in the pudding. I'd feel different about Sanchez if he'd shown actual signs of progression over his 4 years, but instead of progression there was significant regression. Not just in his stats, which never really progressed or regressed, they stayed pretty much the same with a couple of one year spikes here and there.

The regression has been in his decision making, his pocket presence, his mechanics, etc. Whenever he's expected to carry the load for the team he folds. He succeeds when 65-75% of the time he's handing the ball off, but when he's asked to be pass first he falters and fails.

People like to point to Sanchez's performance in the two play off losses as how good he can be...the problem is most of the yards in those losses were garbage yards against defenses that were playing soft with a lead.

Sanchez in year 4 was still making the same mental mistakes as he was in year 1. He doesn't throw well enough to be a 65% completion, 4,000 yard 40 TD guy and he doesn't take care of the ball well enough to be a game manager because of his interceptions and fumble problems.

In short, he doesn't do either of the aspects that you need a franchise QB to excel at.

And if you want to talk about playoff wins, there is only one playoff win that matters....The Superbowl. The only thing that matters after that point is how often you reach the playoffs in order to get a ticket with a chance to get to the superbowl.

Peyton Manning, for example, hasn't been a particularly successful QB in the playoffs, but he's gotten his team to the playoffs in every year of his career but 2. Here's a hint, you can't win a Superbowl if you can't get your team consistently to the playoffs. And many of the colts teams really weren't that good, especially on defense.

As far as I'm concerned Sanchez is just Al Woodral MK II.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sooooooooo, why would there be any concerns about bringing him back to compete on a bargain basement incentive laden deal? The guy you describe above would have a hard time winning high school JV QB competition let alone an NFL one.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am not saying to keep Sanchez. It is over. He is done as a Jet. I just feel he will succeed elsewhere. Not that complicated. Maybe I am wrong, but I still think he has a shot.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

No argument, but can you tell me that in going from Year 2 -- arrow pointing UP -- and then removing 3 of his 4 top receivers that THAT is what you want to do to a young QB ?

How about Tony Sparano as OC -- you wanna tell me what NFL team will hire Sparano as OC or HC ever again ??

Brees would have been good in SD. He was improving tremendously once Shottenheimer came on board.

6. JetsKickAss

That's where I line up.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He will have great success elsewhere, no doubt in my mind.

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Great success?? You would be wrong. He'll be a career backup.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Define "success"

10. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

What do you consider success?

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Answering a question with a question?

Anyway I asked because I keep reading that he'll be "successful" wherever he goes next. So I want to know what exactly do they define success as, as it relates to Sanchez.

For me success is Sanchez landing on a team with a good/great QB. Learning from said QB, fixing his mechanical flaws and then getting an opportunity in his early 30's as a stopgap or even as a Rich Gannon late bloomer.

12. The Dark Knight

For me, success means he will go to a new team, become the starter, and play well for them, including taking them to the playoffs. Throw more TD's than INT's, make smart decisions, etc. Show he is much better than he was in 2012.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think this will happen until he collects himself as a back-up for a year. No way in hell does an NFL take him and make him the starter right away.

If the Jets cannot find a viable option for a veteran QB - and the Jets are desperate, bring back Mark.

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt Sanchez will sign a bargain basement deal with the Jets to probably be a backup.

I also think that if Sanchez is going to salvage his career it's best for Sanchez to try to do it somewhere else. Sometimes a change of scenery is just needed and I think that's what's best for Sanchez.

I don't hate the man, I just don't think he'll be a successful plus QB in the NFL.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Sanchez was given every opportunity to pull out of his funk to the point of insanity by Ryan. His time is over. If he finds a way to stay , he will be the starter.

16. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Guys, he's not that accurate, especially on short balls. Deep balls are a little more accurate, but the guy can't throw a screen pass with any touch, can't hit slanting receivers in stride, and is simply off the mark at least half the time.

The great QB's can throw the short pass very accurately and on time. The good ones can do so at least most of the time. Mark has only done this half the time. The only system where he can perform even decently is one which he played in for the first two years. A run-based offense where he can take shots with play-action. You know, plays where the receiver is wide open.

That's not the way the NFL is going. There aren't dominant running games anymore. It's a short-passing league and that's what he's worst at.

Get rid of him, keep Geno and M. Simms and draft another guy. I can't see the Jets doing anything else.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The Jets need to bring in a veteran backup QB - there is no question about that. Geno Smith playing good ball against a dysfunctional Browns team and a collapsing Dolphin team don't change the fact that he was the worst QB in football in 2013. He needs to improve massively to just be a middle of the pack average QB in 2014. Think that will impress anyone?

Sanchez will be an option to bring back with a chance to start. Anyone thing Smith will develop enough in the off season to beat out Sanchez? if he can great - he developed as a QB - good sign. if he can't he is never going to be the guy in NY and his career path is as a backup.

If Smith does start and shits the bed I want a QB that has real world experience not some guy that has held a clipboard for 5 years. Between 2009-2011 Sanchez did improve his compl % each year, his TDs went from 12 to 26, increased yards, and QB rating all with constant changes to his offensive weapons, questionable play calls, and an awful offensive line in 2011. His 26 TD passes in 2011 were good for 9th in the league.

You can say he sucked in 2012 but you can't say he sucked without mentioning Sporano, Hill going down, Holmes going out, Keller being out, no more LT, random guys at receiver, and Tebow.

No Veteran QB is coming in for veteran minimum and the Jets can't afford to be cheap on a 1 year deal knowing they need a QB that can start and succeed in NY if Geno flops. What the Jets offer is a legit chance to start because the team is not going to commit to Smith anytime soon. They aren't wearing rose colored glasses because of a two game run at the end of the season.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He was completing 67% of his passes in preseason -- granted it is pre-season but the offense really did seem to fit him. He did that while learning a new scheme. It seemed to fit him a lot better than the Sporano offense did -- that thing was painful to watch.

Alex Smith wasn't an accurate passer until he signed his 1 year deal in 2011 - also the first time he actually played 16 games. He re-invented himself under that contract. people forget that from 2005-2010 he had 51 TD passes and 53 Interceptions...going 13-3 makes a lot of people forget some really bad stretches.

19. JetsKickAss

Very interesting to read a scouting report on Sanchez from the NFL combine in 2009:

Positives: Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. ... Cerebral. ... Reads defenses well and rarely throws into coverage. ... Goes through his progression quickly and takes what the defense gives him. ... Recognizes the blitz very well for a player of his experience and often targets the defenses' weak link when being blitzed. ... Good setup and a smooth, over-the-top delivery. ... Legitimate NFL arm strength. ... Capable of making every NFL throw, including the deep ball. ... Rather than relying on pure arm strength, Sanchez combines good velocity with rare anticipation, especially for a player of his limited experience. ... Consistently releases his passes before his receivers have even made their breaks, giving the defense little time to react. ... Distributes the ball all over the field. ... Good short-, medium-, and long-range accuracy. ... Consistently places his passes where only his receiver can get it and throws a very catchable ball. ... When healthy, showed very surprising mobility for his size. ... Can evade the pass rush and will scramble if the defense gives free yards. ... Rare accuracy on the rollout. ... Squares his shoulders and can fire the ball with consistency and accuracy. ... Team captain. ... Blue-collar work ethic.

Negatives: Only one season as the starter and leaves USC with just 16 career starts. ... Career record of 4-2 outside of the state of California. ... Undeniable tools, but isn't yet a finished product. ... Runs a bit hot and cold and has a tendency to score touchdowns in bunches. ... Characterized by those close to the program as a very cerebral player who makes the right read, but many of his touchdown passes went to receivers with five or more yards of separation between the next closest defender, opening up some questions if USC's dominant athletes and the team's aggressive play-calling helped him look even better. ... Suffered a dislocated left knee cap prior to the season opener and his mobility was limited.

20. The Dark Knight

With Cutler extended, I think Sanchez becomes the #1 QB on the market and he will get decent money and a starting job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.