Now That Ryan is in...on to Idzik....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jairus Byrd, Bills (too expensive)
    Mike Mitchell, Panthers (26)
    Ryan Clark, Steelers (34 too old)
    Stevie Brown, Giants
    Mike Adams, Broncos (32 too old, not really a ball hawk)
    Charles Woodson, Raiders (37 too old)
    Taylor Mays, Bengals (25)
    Colt Anderson, Eagles (28, backup)
    Chris Maragos, Seahawks (26, not really a ballhawk)
    Michael Huff, Broncos (30 too old)
    Matt Giordano, Rams (31 too old, backup?)
    Ryan Mundy, Giants (28)
    Kendrick Lewis, Chiefs (25)
    Hussain Abdullah, Chiefs (28 backup)
    Kurt Coleman, Eagles (25 backup)
    Sergio Brown, Colts (25 backup)

Unless they go after Lewis of the Chiefs, Maragos of the Seahawks, or Mike Mitchell of the Panthers, they might as well re-sign Ed Reed. I forgot to mention Stevie Brown. He would be a worthy target as well.

#61 NCJetsfan, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I really like Kendrick Lewis and Stevie Brown, Brown got injured early this season if I remember correctly. Lewis is a good young player on the cheap. Byrd is going to want too much money so he's a no but if he'd settle for like 4 yr 16 mill I'd take him.

3. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I never said we dont need better receivers, or that it's easy to get them, I just said that most successful teams these days draft WRs in mid rounds, as opposed to the first. To have team success in the NFL, you need elite quarterbacks most of all, and then elite pass rushers, and linemen. You don't need elite receivers, just good ones. Teams that draft WRs high tend to not be very good (Lions with Megatron, Arizona with Fitzgerald, Cowboys with Dez Bryant, Houston with Andre Johnson, Randy Moss/Terell Owens, etc) in general, whereas championship caliber teams have elite qbs and good but not great WRs (New England, Saints, Packers, Giants, Ravens, etc).

If you look at what I said, it was quarterback/left tackle/BPA in first round, and after that receivers, other offensive linemen, free safety. Meaning if there is no good quarterback available, or left tackle, and there is a WR who is BPA, its ok to take him, just don't go into the draft dead set on WR/TE in first.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I believe Nate Allen is a FA as well. He was my 3rd favorite safety in the 2010 draft behind Morgan Burnett and Reshad Jones, 3rd and 5th round picks respectively. The latter 2 got extensions while Allen has not, at least not yet. Allen played well as a rookie, got injured, struggled for a couple of seasons along with the entire Eagles D before bouncing back this year. He's like a younger version of Landry, solid all around but not great at anything particular. He is a very intelligent player that I think Rex, Thurman and T-Mac could get the best out of.

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Geno needs to run his own training camp this spring. Too many of his long passes were out of bounds. He also needs to have a good QB coach prepping him. He looked better in the last 2 games...practice (and woeful foes) make it much easier. That's the only way to beat the lessened training camp time. Competition in camp just lessens the time and reps he needs to grow.
    Yes, he needs targets to hit that are athletic and have glue on their fingers. Big TE's and WR's are on many college teams and can be found by perceptive scouts in the late rounds. Look for hungry players who aren't chased hard.
    The OL line needs big time work. My two favorites, Brick and Mangold look to be slowing a bit. I don't often see Mangold 4 to 6 yards deep on run plays, nailing LB's. And Brick hasn't had much help on his right for too many years.
    #10, Crome, Reed, Cribbs and maybe Harris are receptive to lower contracts. Maybe Pace is also looking to stay. Slash them good and get the OL, WR, TE and safety help we need to continue to grow.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's comical that the same posters who cry/wail Rex is not involved enough with the offense, Rex knows nothing about the offense, Rex couldn't name half the starters on offense, blah blah blah are the same posters who claim anything they don't like about the offense is due to Rex's involvement and meddling.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

That was not a competition. That was the starter (Smith) getting hurt and replaced by the back up while injured. Then Harbaugh decided the back up was a better QB and never putbSmith back in. There was no TC competition or rotation prior to the injury. Nobody was pushing for Harbaugh to make the change before the injury . Smith was having his best season before he was hurt. Try again.

8. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I forgot about Stevie Brown. I just added him to players I think the Jets should consider.

9. NCJetsfan

We obviously just disagree and that's fine. I also disagree with your assertion that good teams don't draft WRs high. The Texans are NOT a bad. They have a TON of talent. What they didn't have was a good QB and perhaps not a good HC. Similarly, the Lions have a ton of talent. They have a QB that has a great arm but a $.10 brain that vapor locks all too often, and a HC that is too soft or not that good. The Cardinals got to a SB with Fitzgerald. What killed them was not securing Warner's replacement and bad coaching/drafting.

There is more than one way to build a team. NE was able to build a winner with mediocre WRs because they have a great HOF-caliber QB. Few other teams have been able to do that. I'll agree that a team doesn't need multiple elite receivers, I think every team needs at least one, or multiple receivers who are knocking on the door of that level. GB's receivers may not be at the level of a Megatron or Andre Johnson, but they have had perhaps the best corps of WRs of any team over the last 5-10 years. They know how to find them and develop them. How many other teams are able to do that? Crap, the Jets haven't even been able to find one in the draft aside from Kerley in 10-15 years.

10. NCJetsfan

Allen is listed as a SS. If the Jets are going to sign a SS, I'd rather they bring back James Ihedigbo.

11. legler82

He is playing SS this season but was drafted as and played in years prior as a FS. He is actually comfortable at either spot which makes him a good fit for Rex's D. Although, he hasn't had too many capable of doing so but Rex likes his safeties to be interchangeable; it gives him even more blitzing options.

I think I read somewhere that Ihedigbo leads the league in missed tackles. Conversely, Allen I believe was rated 3rd most efficient tackler by PFF. Ihedigbo also can't cover and is much older, 30 compared to 26. But hey you build your team the way you want.

#71 legler82, Dec 31, 2013
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Idzik said there will be upgrades at the skill positions in the presser,can't wait to see what awaits us this offseason

13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

Does anyone on this board know Kenny Britt? Is he misunderstood or a horses' ass. He would be a nice addition if he is motivated and serious about his future.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yes I know him well we play racketball together on the weekends, lol dude why are you asking this question,I seriously doubt anyone on here is freinds with Kenny Britt and can give u insight into his personal life

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

I don't care about his personal life. I just want to know if he would be a good addition to the Jets?

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Agreed. If Brown is available (not sure what his contract is like with Giants) then Jets definitely should go after him. The guy is a ballhawk and makes a ton of plays.

17. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the info on Allen. I didn't know him at all. He sounds like he could be a good fit.

I hadn't heard that Ihedigbo had been missing tackles. The comments I've heard about him have been positive. I also didn't know that he was 30. That being the case, I wouldn't want him back. I really don't care who it is, as long as he is younger and will be a very good, if not great player for the Jets.

Thanks for the info.

18. legler82

Just so we are clear, Allen is no world beater but he is smart, solid overall safety that's young. I'm of the mindset that not every position needs to be filled by all pros. Note Rex has already gotten a lot more out of Jaiquawn Jarrett than Philly ever could. Like Allen, Jarrett was safety prospect drafted by the Eagles in the second round. Allen, however, has been somewhat productive thus far in his career. Considering what he's been able to do with Jarrett, Rex and company might be able to turn this guy into a pro-bowler.

19. NCJetsfan

We are in agreement. I also expect that Idzik will look to sign a number of cheaper young players who can come in, upgrade the talent level and compete. I doubt he goes for any "stars" or big name players, unless you consider Maclin or someone of his level a big name. Allen, Kendrick Lewis, or Stevie Brown (if he doesn't want too much money) would be huge for the secondary.

#79 NCJetsfan, Dec 31, 2013
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hell no on Goodson...if he makes the team after his felony he will be by far our most explosive runner period. Keep him