One year extension?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok.. Now call me a "Hater" all you want and that's fine by me but I'm confused about something here. Maybe you defenders of the FO/CS can clear this up. While I was in favor of letting Rex walk or perhaps letting him bet the house on 2014 come what may, I don't understand the FO's position here. Why is that?

After all the fanfare and feel good show on Sunday.. After the heartwarming email to the big money (STH's).. After all the drama and theatre surrounding Rex's job status, the best they offered was a One Year Extension? Sorry, but that doesn't exactly scream "This is our guy".

Evidently there are still some skeptics in the room. Letting Rex bet the house on 2014 might be sound, but it also present quite the risk for both parties. If Rex duplicates 8-8, what happens? What's the threshold for a mulityear contract? If this year's draft and FA crop doesn't yield immediate results, another mulligan for Rex or does he walk the plank?

On the flip side, suppose, even with that bitch of a schedule, Rex manages to squeeze out 9 or 10 wins and a playoff berth, how much do you pay him then? Suppose he goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs, then what? Suppose Rex asks for a king's ransom, does Woody suddenly become frugal again?

Most importantly, why prolong all this drama and drag this shit into next year? What is it about this team that they just can't do things without the theatre?

If Rex is the guy, then extend him for more than a year. If Rex isn't the guy, send him on his way. Either Rex IS THE GUY, OR HE ISN'T THE GUY. He can't be both.

Help me out here.. Maybe this one year thing is something leaked to the press to throw the hounds off the scent. If its true, then I don't get the rationale behind it. Truly a strange way to do business..

#1 Cman68, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree, give him a multi year deal or fire him you can't have it both ways or were right back in this situation next year.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I was told here there was no reason for a one year extension.

_

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that they're convinced that Rex is their guy. Woody is already being frugal. We know he doesn't like to pay coaches who no longer work for him. I think they gave him a pass for this year because of their tough schedule, cap problems and low talent.

They've seen Rex's glaring weaknesses and flaws and aren't willing to commit to him long term. They're giving him a chance to clear those issues up with a more talented team, and watching to see how he does in building and developing a young team. I think if the Jets stumble to 8-8 again next season, Rex is toast. Woody will eat one season, but not multiple seasons. If the Jets get 10 or 11 wins next season, it will mean that Rex has fixed or at least partially addressed his issues, and they'll probably then be willing to extend him for a much longer period of time.

#4 NCJetsfan, Dec 30, 2013
  5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

So you want him gone right now, but since that isn't happening you want him to have a multi year extension? Why aren't you jumping for joy if it turns out to be a one year extension? Very confusing.

6. OverloadBlitz

True, it seems like they offered Rex the equivalent of a franchise tag, a prove it type of situation where they expect(me as well) at least 9 wins next year with the development of our young guys. Is it fair? Probably not but its life in the NFL and if Rex can get 10+ wins next year he has ALL the leverage in the world contract wise.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Has there actually been any official announcement about a 1 year extension?

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

seems pretty simple to me. he earned another shot with this roster because of raving player reactions and slowly developing rookies and emerging vets that may have spurned a desire for continuity, but not necessarily an over-extended period of his tenure regardless of that progress.

they think he's the best option going into next year and will give him next year to work with, but theres no real need to give more than a years extension save to remove the lame duck air to the season.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying but Rex got exactly what he deserves going into his 6th year as HC and coming off 3 straight non playoff seasons. Let him earn a long term extension with a better record and playoff berth in 2014. If he doesn't then it's easy to part ways.

10. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

This is bullshit. There taking advantage of Rex loyalty. Repeat this drama again next year, guy will be reluctant to sign if Rex's future is in certain.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about how this affects the rest of the coaching staff.

12. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

This brings up a great question. What is the standard of success for Rex next year? 9-7? 10-6? Playoffs? And please don't give that "if the team shows improvement, not necessarily in their record" crap. What will it take for the Jets to consider him a success and give him a multi-year extension?

What if the team regresses? Will people still be making excuses that "he doesn't have talent" or "he has a terrible QB" or "he doesn't have any control over the players. He's just the coach."

What is the standard he should be held to?

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex is the coach next year. If he coaches as well as he did this year the Jets will be in the playoffs and then the real extension will show up.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/417785719914893312

Here's the source (for those interested)

15. NCJetsfan

I'm not. The talent level should be much higher in 2014. If they do their jobs and the team plays well more consistently, and wins 10 or more games, there's no problem. They'll all still have jobs. If not, someone else will be available.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The only standard will be W/L record and playoffs. No more excuses.

17. OverloadBlitz

I think the standard is playoffs, to me anyway. The team ended the season winning 3 of their last 4 and we have cap room and draft picks its pretty much playoffs or bust. There is no excuse.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

#18 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 30, 2013
  19. NCJetsfan

I totally agree.

20. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Yes. The one in my pants.