Do what it takes to get mike evans

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jerseyjay14, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

most early mocks have him in the 12-16 range. at 18 its not out of the realm we can move up to go get him.

We need playmakers. Bad. we have plenty of needs and issues but the biggest is we dont have a game breaker. offensively we need to be near flawless for 10-12 plays to score, or catch a big break. Evans would give us a huge target who can make big plays both on long balls, catching one short and running after the catch, or going up over someone in traffic.

what i like most is that his best games came vs the best competition:

vs alabama - 279 yards and a TD(95 yard score)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2OfgKbEBs[/YOUTUBE]

vs auburn - 287 yards and 4 touchdowns
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbsIvISir8[/YOUTUBE]

thats not just playing well vs top teams, its insane school record type stuff against top teams.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I like what evans brings, but fuck no. No trading up. We need depth as well as playmakers and we have been down this road very recently.

If Watkins, Evans, and Ebron are gone at 18 you sit back and take one of Lee, Matthews, and my personal favorite Benjamin. There is more than enough talent at the skill positions in this draft to wait it out and still get very good quality.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So why risk the majority of the draft to trade up before the Bills?

Not worth it, there are plenty of talented WRs this coming draft.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Have you not been watching Jets football for the last 3 years? Haven't had enough punishment yet for trading up?

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Evans is so much better than a player like Lee that we need to trade up for him. Lee's best season completely blows Watkins and Evans' best out of the water (118 REC, 1,721 YDS & 14 TDs). Note that's in a WCO pro-style non air-raid offense with a legitimate NFL quality WR on the other side of him.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Evans is a much better player. Lee isnt a #1 WR, he's a complimentary WR like Holmes.

You guys are sleeping on Davante Adams... VERY similar to Alshon Jeffery. Also, Benjamin would probably be a better addition as well.

7. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I pray he's still at 18

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I like Allen Robinson for sure - I think he comes out especially if Bill O'Brien leaves Penn State - I think his ability to track the football and make a play on it is very important.

Davante Adams is a beast as well.

I really hope we draft some of these guys - they are all freaks - if we leave this draft and we didn't grab one, I will cry

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Evans is a physical beast. Instant impact playmaker.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

..... But Adams is only 6'2 and runs a 4.5. He is too short and too slow to gain separation or be a deep threat at the next level.

:rofl:

I like Benjamin better, but Adams hiring an agent makes this class very interesting. sadly, the deeper the class gets the more likely Kelvin will return to school.

11. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I don't think that he even declared yet. Everyone thinks he might be a Vincent Jackson type WR but I'm not completely sold on this guy yet. I saw him play against Auburn and Alabama when he put up monster numbers but I also saw him struggle against Ole Miss and LSU when corners pressed him at the line of scrimmage especially against LSU and their freshmen corner. At 6'5 he is a tall target but his route running and 40 time will be very critical to where he gets drafted if he declares which he might if he puts up monster numbers against Duke to end the season.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

haha, Adams just goes up and gets the ball. Ive seen him mentioned as a 3rd round prospect on twitter... I think thats insane. I would LOVE him in the 2nd, and probably even take him in the 1st depending on whos available.

I do like Benjamin a lot as well. I hope he comes out. At this point, I hope we go WR in rounds 1 and 2 (assuming we dont sign a big name WR).

Also, I went back and watched about a half hour of Lee... Much better than I was under the impression of. This past year wasnt great and the injuries really do worry me, but he's faster than I thought and gets separation on just about anyone. 18 would be a solid place for him.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Him and Manziel declared within the last day or so I believe. I dont think his 40 time is going to be that important. On tape he has good enough speed and thats all that matters.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I like your Lee to Holmes comparison you've made in the past. Lee is that good and that's not knocking him. I was one of the biggest Tone supporters and have been a huge fan of his since the Pittsburgh days, but this past year and his injuries soured me a ton. Lee does have that ability to be the run after the catch demon Holmes was and does possess great body control. I like him, I just don't love him.

One thing for sure is an offensive talent is going to be there at 18 for the taking. My head says get a wideout, but my broken heart says "oh shit did we just draft a punter?"

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This......

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

lol, hopefully Idziks head says the same. To add to Lee, I think he is much more of a vertical threat than Holmes. Holmes was never really a great deep threat, made a living off short to intermediate routes. Lee can do that plus get behind a CB.

As you said, I like him but dont love him (at least yet), and I think thats mostly because of how deep this class is.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

So you would rather have a signficantly lesser WR should he not fall to us, and keep all of our 3rd rounders, rather then get a potential game breaker and give up one of 3 3rd rounders we have?

So say you'd rather a justin blackmon and someone like brian winters then just A.J. Green for instance.

I might agree with you if we had just our full compliment of picks, or less then the full compliment. but this is the advantage of having extra picks. you can use them to manuever and get better talent, while still getting 7 players on draft day

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'd be ecstatic if the Jets landed Mike Evans in the first round but NO trade-ups please. We've seen Tanny try this so many times and now we've got a team with depth issues all over the place. Looking back on the draft history, it's very common for a team's best player to be a non-First Rounder. Look at the Bills 2nd round pick last year. The Chargers & Cowboys 3rd round pick last year. I'm sure there's more but I'm too tired to dig them up.

Let's go for a new philosophy and try to pick as many players as possible in the draft. Sit in place and be patient. It's worked for so many teams in the past.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Says who? Because he's not 6' 4"?

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm one of the biggest Mike Evan fans around, but I wouldn't want to give up picks to move up to draft him.

This is one of the best WR classes in a decade, we will have other solid options.