Now That Ryan is in...on to Idzik....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

While I agree that we have a lot of holes on offense, I don't like the emphasis on blue chip tight ends and WRs. These are positions you can typically get in mid rounds or Free Agency, and you don't want to waste high picks on them unless it's BPA in early rounds. Also, TE is not a huge hole for us, between Cumberland and Winslow and that Sudfeld kid (who I wished got to play more, I liked him in limited duty), we have some live bodies there, compared to other positions.

The first round is best used for positions which are very hard to fill otherwise (quality quarterbacks, dominant offensive and defensive linemen, pass rushers, etc). Other than defensive linemen, we could use all of those.

Not a fan of Cromartie returning at all. The guy was always overrated, and has played badly this year even before his hip injury. Even if he heals, he's still not getting any younger or better. I liked what I saw out of Milliner the last few games, but I think we need to either draft another decent corner or sign one in free agency, instead of Cromartie. I think we should also skip the linebackers this off season, unless a really great one is available. The ones we have are good enough for now, and we have more pressing concerns elsewhere. I don't know why people are so concerned with our OLBs when we had one finish with 10 sacks, and the other play very dominantly the last part of the season, and that's with Barnes out for the year.

I think we should definitely draft a quality quarterback whenever a good one is available, starting from the first round, as long as we don't reach. We need a quality backup for Geno in any case, and I would like it to be a young quarterback with some prospects, should Geno prove to be a bust next year. That way, all our eggs are not in one basket, which based on the entirety of this season, is not too confidence inspiring. Remember, NFL is a quarterback's league, and until you have a good one, you don't have anything. You can have the best receivers in the world, as long as your quarterback is not a top 10 or so, you got no chance for real success, based on the last 10 seasons or more. Even when we had really good defenses and running game and everything else, we still eventually lost to teams with elite qbs, so obtaining one of those is always a priority to me.

Other than that, we need to get a good free safety and offensive linemen. So I would probably try to get quarterback/left tackle/BPA early on in the draft, use middle rounds and free agency to get better WRs, get a quality free safety and another corner wherever possible, as well as more offensive linemen, and leave TE and LB alone for now.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I agree on tight ends... although, if you can get a gamebreaking WR, i think that is worth it in round 1 for sure(i.e. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, etc).

And i think mike evans is a big time gamebreaking WR. id be extremely happy if we got him, even if it meant moving up 4-5 spots to do so.

I hope we Go MLB, Safety, Tackle or WR in round 1

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Sorry but Megatron's and Julio Jones's don't come in round 4 of the draft. We need top a top flight receiver, no more of these mediocre players please. Let's have at least one beast play-maker on offense please.

4. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

While I agree that the 1st round pick should be used on the BPA and you are also right that it tends to be a defensive player. BUT with all the woes we have on offence I would not want to be in NY on draft night when the Jets select a defensive player. Just saying.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

A strengthened offense will in turn strengthen our defense.

Focus on the O.

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agree with pretty much all of this. Geno played well down the stretch but we need to bring in a legitimate threat for him to compete with. I'm tired of giving the job to guys by default.

I wouldn't mind Winslow back, he played well for us this year. In a perfect i'd love to upgrade the tight end position but we could do worse (and have) then Kellen Winslow Jr. There are some good tight end prospects in this draft so we could have an opportunity to grab one.

As far as receiver goes I completely agree. Keep Kerley, if they want to bring Nelson back thats fine I guess, and I still wouldn't give up on Hill yet. But we need to add some talent to this group. Guys like Golden Tate, Jeremy Maclin, and Hakeem Nicks come to mind as FA's I wouldn't mind the Jets going after.

7. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I want to see Cumberland back. I didn't see him mentioned. He's 26. I think he's got allot more upside than down. I would rather jets address other issues via the draft than te.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Since he's been here, the Jets have never had a QB that's forced Rex away from the wildcat.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This may be true, but I think the point is questioning why the wildcat hasn't forced Rex away from the wildcat.

10. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

We have to go BPA in the first, hopefully that's a lineman or TE. After that we need a playmaker in a bad way.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

A cornerback hopefully with some WR experience.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the one guy who was missing for a part of the season and really proved to me how important he was is jeremy kerley, the offense was completely inept without him playing. it was far far better with him in. he is only signed through 2014, he also has some kind of playing time escalator that can change his contract from 650k or so to 1.2 million.

im not positive on whether that will happen but either way he needs to be here this coming year and i wouldnt mind him for an extra number of years at this point.

that and the team needs a new philosophy. i think they are on their way as it wasnt so much ground and pound this year as it was in the past. it needs to be a far more balanced team. so idzik needs to get his boss rex ryan to understand that.. i kid but that might be the most important thing that can be done this offseason.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Actually as long as our QB play is subpar we'll have the wildcat.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Perhaps they're one in the same?

15. SeattleJet

SeattleJet Active Member

Well, Jets just extended Rex's contract for 1 more year.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should pick up the best WR/TE playmaker on the board in Rd1, then a prospect QB that falls in the second round. Someone like Mettenberger or if Carr or Boyd slip. The Seahawks invested a ton of money in Flynn, but still grabbed Wilson when they had the chance.

That Parcells line that if you have 2 QB's you have no QB's should be dead and buried.

Having 2 viable QB's gives a team options. If Geno proves he is a true number one, the QB2 can be traded for picks. If he doesnt progress, you dont need to wait another season to go draft/sign another QB.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Parcells line is alive and well and always will be. Name me one playoff team or one recently successful NFL team that does not have an established QB. One. I'll wait.

With the way the new CBA works, there are a limited number of OTAs and practices. Competition takes time and reps away from the starting QB. Smith needs time and reps, not somebody breathing down his neck.

The Jets have had QB competitions the past two training camps - 2012 Sanchez v. Tebow and 2013 Sanchez v. Smith v. McElroy. How has the QB play turned out in those two seasons????? QB competition being good for Smith and the team is complete BS.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The 1st part I agree with 100% (if that player is reasonably in line with BPA). I think Mettenberger could become a stud, but his injury obviously hurts his draft stock.... and hopefully to the 3rd for the JETS.

But I agree on that because I disagree with the 2nd. Mettenberger will need to sit a year to rehab / learn, so that gives Geno the whole offense for the season..... if he flops, there's another young prospect (hopefully seasoned) waiting in the wings instead of scrambling to put another peg in the hole.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

They've had competition because they have not had a QB who has established himself as the "franchise guy". There should always be competition until it's clear you have a QB.

Why not prepare ourselves for the fact that Geno might not being any good? Not saying he isnt, I don't know. But the Jets should have somebody else on the roster who they feel can come in and win games, at the very least, as a fallback option to Geno struggling.

Our whole season next year shouldn't just come down to Geno Smith being good or bad.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is good news to me. it leaves the option to get rid of him after next year if he doesnt improve on the things he has not improved on the past few years.

i would have been unhappy if they had signed him for 3 years.