Now That Ryan is in...on to Idzik....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Alrighty folks!!!

Ryan is staying...time will tell how much extension he gets but that is done.

NOW...on to Idzik's time...he is on the clock right now!! He's got a year under his belt, the cap is cleaning up and he has a boat load of picks. What's he going to do?

I'm on the same page as the majority of you...we need offense...BADLY! In my opinion the only defensive positions we should be thinking about is Safety and depth at Linebacker. Milliner showed progress...our line is talented AND deep. I FIRMLY believe Cromartie has at least 2 good years left once he gets healthy and Wilson is a top flight nickle/dime corner. Depth at corner would be ok...but in the MUCH later rounds.

I want to see someone like Shaun Hill in here for QB competition purposes. Sanchez is gone. We need a BLUE CHIP tight end in the draft or a top flight FA signing...ditto at WR (x3). I do not want to see Holmes, Winslow or Garrard on this team next year...period. I would feel comfortable with Simms as 3...Vet FA/Geno as 1/2 depending upon the competition.

Also, I want Cribbs back. He showed me something when he could have been acting like a prima donna. At, for the very least, for special teams and his Wild Cat ability.

Thoughts??

It is Idzik's time to pump up the volume!

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I want an FA guard or a trade up into the 2nd for a plug and play guard in the draft, let Winters and Colon slug it out for who sucks less. Also, fuck the wildcat.

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

LOL!!!:rofl: I'd say fuck the wild cat too but since I KNOW they are going to use it I figure might as well address it.

And holy dog shit...I can't believe I forgot the line!!! Thank you for reeling me in sir. I don't know...Winters could be good. The line is one of those things that take time. I agree, though, we need some additions and then let them battle it out. But, if they way they played the last couple weeks is any indication the gelling has begun. I've already started but I'll be reviewing all the game tape and weighing in on the line. They weren't NEARLY as bad as people think. Quite a bit of their issue was on Geno early on and the lack of our WR's ability to separate.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree with everything u said except for Cribbs.He was a mid season signing and he's always injured. Its time to bring in a real kick returner Devon Hester is older but reliable and will be cheap .Cribbs has been cut by 4 diffrent teams in two seasons.And the wildcat should be banned from the NFL

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Can that Hakim guy be our kick returner?

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think as long as Rex is here we'll have the stupid wildcat.

7. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Colon was the most penalized guard in the league, shitty in pass pro too. Winters was godawful, there were so many times he just got destroyed within 1 second it was sickening to watch. Geno and WRs definitely didn't help matters but that doesn't change the fact that the guards are shit. I see Winters upside maybe being somewhere a little worse than Slauson, and not at all thrilled to wait 2 more years to maybe see that. The line played better the last few weeks but outside of Miami who didn't show up there wasn't much passrush to speak of. I wouldn't put too much stock in it, the guard unit just needs to be improved.

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Free agency is going to be very important, we need to stay away from the big names that will demand massive contracts and try to get some value talent. First order of business should be to get Wilkerson and Austin Howard tied up long term. I don't want to weigh in too much on free agency just yet until I take a look at the full list of free agents. We also need to see if Ed Reed is up to playing another year or if he will retire.

By the way if anyone has a link to the full list of free agents please PM me it.

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

You might be right about that but I think there's a strong chance he's using it as a crutch until there's a franchise QB dangling in front of his face. As long as there isn't, it's not a significant mistake.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything on the OP.

Bye,bye Holmes CAN'T WAIT to see you gone :smile:

Not 100% on Winslow, as I thought he was a decent target. That said we need a real weapon at the TE position. Double tights would suit this offense well.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Cut:
    Sanchez
    Holmes

Restructure or Cut:
    Cromartie

Play a bit of hardball and try to restructure:
    David Harris

Consider cutting:
    Goodson

Extend:
    Wilkerson

Possibly Extend:
    Kerley
    Bilal Powell
    Kenrick Ellis
    Kyle Wilson

Resign
    Willie Colon

Possibly Resign:
    Austin Howard
    Nick Folk
    Calvin Pace
    Darrin Walls
    Ellis Lankster
    Isaiah Trufant
    Matt Simms
    Ed Reed
    Garrett McIntyre

Draft:
    BPA in a "need" position.

12. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

We also need to try and get Brick and Mangold to restructure.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I agree that the Jets need a TE, WRs, and a Safety. They also need guards on the OL, a pure edge pass rushing OLB, and a true 3rd down RB. I have to completely disagree with your assessment of the QB position and your opinion on Cribbs.

The Jets need to be done with this QB competition stuff. Smith deserves another year and needs reps and weapons. What does competition with a journeyman like Hill do for his development or the team's??? Is Hill really going to be the QB to make the Jets a perennial playoff team and a champion? Nope. Smith is young and talented and came around the last four games of the season. With Kerley in the lineup he scored 18 TDs and threw 12 picks. Without Kerley he threw no TDs and had 9 picks. Imagine what the kid could do with an offseason of reps, better protection, an outlet in a pure 3rd down RB, and some NFL caliber wideouts. Bring Hill or a similar type player in to win games in case Smith is injured, but not to compete for the starter job. After two seasons of practice-by-practice QB comparisons, its time to put those days in the rear view mirror.

Cribbs is not worth keeping. He can't stay healthy, the wildcat can be run by a number of players (Powell's pass yesterday was the best wildcat play in two seasons), and Cribbs' speciality - the kickoff return - is being marginalized by the new kickoff rules.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Smith should run more, tuck the ball away and get down. He has 2-3 years of running in him, maybe only 1-2. Running qb's get hit, but it's the future of the qb position.

Quick reads, nothings there?, run.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Austin Howard is a DEFINITE resign. He was our best OL player this year. I think the Jets let Colon go. Winters played much better the last couple games, especially in run blocking. Goodson is a blueprint RB for MMs offense. If he is healthy he will definitely have a role (assuming no jail)

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Geno showed enough. Get him weapons and let him "compete" by getting 100% of the first team reps until he shows he should not get them or someone else really flashes. QBs need reps as many as possible to develop

17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Rex LOVES that damn Wildcat. Three different OC coordinators all with different philosophies on how an offense should be run. Yet the Jets continue going Wildcat.

18. Mangold Goldman

Idziks mantra is competition at all positions, they're definitely gonna being a vet qb or draft a qb in the middle rounds to compete with Geno. I like Geno and want to see what he can do with some skill guys around him, but you have to send the message that he needs to improve on his rookie year, it wasn't good enough and he can't get complacent. I don't think that's going to be a problem for him, but a little competition never hurt anybody.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Cribbs is damaged goods. His best years are behind him. He plays with reckless abandon and his body is starting to break down. I pretty much agree with everything else you stated.

Secondary and LB are the only areas on D that need to be addressed AFTER we do a major overhaul on Offense.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I think we need just as much on defense as we do on offense. And i would be 100% fine with us going defense at #18 on the right guy.

Safety, MLB, and OLB are all MAJOR needs for this team. we have a good defense, but its not great. and it could be if we added the right piece(s).

offensively we need so much its not going to be better then average next season. We need a RT, OG, TE, WR, HB, QB. thats basically an entire team. We dont have 1 playmaker on offense. and nothing close to a game breaker. we basically, overall, have the worst offensive personel in the game other then maybe jacksonville.

id rather get that 1 piece on defense, and slowly rebuild the offense.