Woody Johnson Confirms Rex Will be Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We will never know and don't think for a minute that's not be design. Kinda like who made the decision to bring in Tebow..

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rex this season became the 1st Jets coach since Walton to go 3 straight seasons missing the playoffs. (Carroll and Kotite weren't around long enough to do so)

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The ONLY thing we know for sure about the relationship between Idzik and Rex, about who made the decision, about the level of involvement from Woody, or the relationship between the owner and the GM is :

That we don't know shit for a fact and most of the statements made on the subject are nothing but speculative BS.

You can criticize Woody and call him names, but this year he brought us a solid and insightful GM, supported a damned good coach and the team as a whole is going in the right direction for the long haul. AND above all, they have quickly suppressed the circus label generated by the worst media group in the US. No one media expert gave this team a chance to win more than 4 games.

Venting frustration for what happened before Woody's tenure is interesting but nor really worth a damned. All we can focus on now is that Rex is going into his fifth year and better be prepared to make a serious playoff run. And as for Idzik, well its his job to give him the horses to do it.
    Cant wait for the draft

4. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Finally a good Jets move, continuity builds championship teams. By the way Rex Missed the playoffs three years but only has one losing season, and performed a coaching miracle with this motley crew.

5. Cman68

And if this team goes 9-7 or 8-8 for the next 5 years, you'll just be tickled pink. It couldn't possibly be the coaching. Rex is God's gift to the Jets. For all intent and purposes, Rex is bulletproof. So be it..

Mediocre may be good enough for you, but it doesn't cut it for me. You wanted Rex? You wanted consistency? You wanted mediocre? Well now you got your wish.

When Rex finally wins something besides the back pages, let me know. Until then, he's still the "Lord of No Rings" and coincidentally, the Patriots still rule the AFCE.

What exactly have we gained today that we haven't had already?

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

While some of this is fair LA...criticizing Woody for the the same reasons you defend are both speculative bullshit. I mean calling Idzik insightful? at this point?

Because his rookie qb had a little run? Because his CB had a little run? You can point to hundreds of out of work youngsters that had their day in the sun in the NFL.

Now..not for a minute am I saying the Smith will not be a really good qb or Milliner be a really good CB but thats just as much speculative bullshit at this point in their careers too.

While it would not surprise me if Smith ended up being at least a decent qb...it would not surprise me in the least if he ended up being a dud. Have seen this movie too often.

It would not surprise me if the Jets go 8-8 next year too. Thats another great movie many of us have seen in the NFL...the teams that finish strong are projected to be so much better the next season...and end up flopping. How many teams that are 500 or worse end up winning their last 2...3..or 4 games and you hear the media say...watch out.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if many are calling for Rex head after next year..or if he wins coach of the year.

The Jets have a ton of money to spend and 9 draft picks. While Woody is as clueless as any owner I know, he will spend that money....God bless him. 8-8 will fire this coach next year..take that to the bank.

I like Rex..especially the new less blabbermouth Rex that provides no bulletin board material for other teams. Im rooting for him big time..but there are so many questions marks from top to bottom, this 2 game winning streak just offered hope.

#126 jaywayne12, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If this team pulled off a 6 seed run to win the SB doing that, everyone would be okay with it. That's what is funny about the NFL, the ring gives you so much leeway within the organization and in the media, for both players and coaches.

Rex will be gone if the Jets don't make the playoff next year, barring a major injury to the QB (whoever that is)

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

You have to take it for what it is worth we are trying to build on the future ( We have not had a future with the lack of picks the past 3 years we were in a WIN NOW organization moment ). I dont want to overturn coaches every three years because there are truly to many variables invisible to a fans eye that we cant account for. I dont Hate Rex I like him and i know we will always have a punchers chance game in and game out with him @ the helm. Removing him who is established that we could get to run this organization.....exactly pass on that and keep Rex

9. Mitch_Dumstein

I have one small news item that might even cheer you up a little Cman

Tammi will be 38 before next season and even all her crying to the refs, Beliache's cheating and Krafty's bimbos can't stop THAT clock from ticking.....My guess is that Jizabella the witch convinces Tammi to hang em up maybe as early as the end of the 2014 season and move off to the big bathhouse in Cali

10. DogWarZ

DogWarZ Active Member

You sir have won the most idiotic post of this thread award.

11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I love this, but it's still on Idzik. He got his cap purge year, let's see what he does with it.

We have enough cap space/draft picks to build a competent offense around Geno AND return our defense to elite (safety por favor??)

Judging Rex on the talent level of 2013 was always unfair. Next year, as much as I love him, he's got no excuses.

12. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

These pictures make it all so clear! See, in the top picture, Idzik seems to be hugging Rex a little too tight, indicating that he (Idzik) is being over-aggressive in his attempt to endear himself to Rex, who he (Idzik) clearly realizes is Woody's favorite. Sad, really.

And in the second picture, Idzik can't bring himself to even look at Rex while he speaks. Also, he is "pointing" at Rex, indicating his (Idzik's) sub-conscious aggression towards him (Rex), who Idzik, by now, clearly recognizes as his superior.

I could go on, but just open your eyes people.

13. Mitch_Dumstein

Sorry

Not fighting with insulting namecallers anymore. If you're looking for a battle....I would recommend the I want Bridgewater thread as a good place to look

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Obviously the was the right move, should never even have been debated. rex should be the coach of the year with the job he did.

My only concern now is rex's staff, we need to retain most of them. I am anxiously awaiting word on the staff.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the coaching may be a part of it but its ten times more down to the playing staff whether the team does well or badly - coaches get way too much credit when the team does well (and there is a top tier QB under centre) and coaches get way too much blame when the team does badly (especially where the team is not stacked with talent) - no-one was going to win the SB with the Jags roster this season the same way that no coach would have failed to make the playoffs with Denvers.

16. Cman68

While this is true, in TB, who's gonna take the fall for that flawed roster? In Denver, who's gonna get the credit for a stacked roster AND bringing in Manning to operate it?

In New York, things are different than in those smaller markets. Rex admittedly has a issue with the modern NFL offense and for all intent and purposes, is the DC as Thurman relays the calls from Rex. As MM is the OC, Rex should be the overall manager of the entire team which is a lot of the heartburn I have with him.

The most popular Boss isn't always the most effective boss..

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Or if Rex gets a long extension, they let him coach with one year left, or they give him another year only.

18. Cman68

Knowing our luck MD, Kraft will pull off another trade with some woebegone team, snag their high first round DP and draft Brady's replacement. :)

J/K. Brady's time is coming to an end as him and his team slowly ages out. Kraft and Belichek somehow always seem to restock on the fly. I dunno how they do it, but they're certainly one of the best at it..

I begrudgingly give them credit for that. (As my breakfast churns...)

19. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Yawn. Jets again reward mediocrity. Then again, its what they do best.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If the Jets actually had a good team and went 8-8, I'd agree with you. Most coaches get 2 to 4 wins at most out of this team.

It's almost like someone investing $5 and getting $10 back, but instead you get upset because he didn't get back $100.

#140 LeonNYJ, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013