Woody Johnson Confirms Rex Will be Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And when the world makes you Grand Poobah of Jet Fans, I just might take you seriously. Until then, KMA

I don't see any quantum leap coming if they keep Ryan, fire Ryan, put a cheerleader dress on him, whatever. He won 8 games this year. Yay. If he wins 8 games next year? Yay. He'll still only be a few games over .500. I'm sure that's good enough though.

#81 Cman68, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I think some posters..and shit..IM NOT TALKING DOWN TO ANYONE...IM NOT...but some posters do not understand how important this is in free agency..in drafting...in resigning...etc.

Idzik to me is a tool...and its too bad because he might be very talented still...but right now? Bad draft pick? Bad free agent signing? Bad anything...I have no idea other than the owner who is in charge here.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

so you know how Rex and Idzik's relationship is then? you have personal knowledge of how they feel about one another and how much mutual respect there may or may not be between them?

it may be that Idzik thinks that Rex is doing a good job and the two of them actually get on and have a decent working relationship - or is that just beyond the realms of possibility?

4. jaywayne12

Hey...there is nothing wrong with that thinking at all bud..nothing...its not why im pissed today.

As a Jet fan...Im very proud of effort...the effort...i saw from a team that had nothing to win...very proud.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Again, if he gets a contract extension THEN you can make the case of Idzik liking him. Unless of course it's Woody announcing the contract extension too. Whoever said Woody wanted to announce Rex returning for his own PR is probably correct. But it's not like he's the only owner that gets involved in coaching decisions. Even the vaunted Maras told Reese to keep Coughlin when Reese was first hired.

6. Cman68

L8tr.. Cya when Rex wins something other than the back pages.

7. jaywayne12

JK....bud...Im with you..totally. It could be they love each other. Im with you totally bud.

You just, as an owner of a team that people have questioned whether or not your GM has any power at all...for the good of the team long term...you let your GM make the announcement first.

Trust me..I know it might sound trivial...but long term...it would have been a very brilliant move by Woody.

#87 jaywayne12, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am not making the case of Idzik liking Rex but nor am I leaping up and down screaming "aaargghghhgh Idzik is a puppet and rex and woody are pulling his strings and he hates rex and wants him gone but woody wont let him and he cries into his pillow every night about how unfair it all is" unlike several posters on this board right now

what I am saying is that no-one on here really knows anything about their relationship and how much influence anyone has over anything.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I agree it was not a smart move by Woody (and its not the first) and the announcement would have been better made by Idzik but some people are so anti-Rex on this board at the moment that they want to blow every little thing out of all proportion and it just gets very tiring :(

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah I completely see where you are coming from. It would have been much better for Idzik to say it instead of Woody. I really hope Idzik and Rex work things out over the summer. I don't think they are on the same page.

At the same time though there are coaches and GMs out there that aren't on the same page. Yet they are successful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/jim-harbaughs-new-contract-could-include-more-power/

We are going to find out really quickly who has the true power when it comes to personnel decisions. This off-season is going to be huge. Will Cro get cut and signed at a reduced rate? I don't think Rex would like Cro getting cut - hopefully they work things out.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I guarantee you that I will have the last laugh when all is said and done.

I hope I'm wrong and you Rex fans are right and we do win a SB with Rex but I'm sure we won't.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex and Mark back together again!!!!!!!!!6-9 wins per year continuity at its best. Idzik is a puppet.

13. jaywayne12

I hear you..and I agree with your point about certain people are so anti rex..and this should be a satisfying time to be a Jet fan after a good performance..personally, i would have been out of here a while ago if not for woody..lol.

Now CMAN is not one of those guys...lol...he truly feels the way he does about Rex and while I do love what Rex did this season, its much harder to take a 8-8 team and make them a solid playoff team next year so everyone can argue with CMAN until they are blue in the face...he is still right.

14. Cman68

If that's the case, knowing Woody's worship of Rex, wouldn't it have been really easy to just extend Rex and be done? If Idzik thinks Rex is doing this bang up job, wouldn't it have been in Idzik's interests to make that case to Woody? Especially after an 8-8 season when Rex performed an obvious miracle with college level talent on a pro roster.

Idzik may be an enigma, but there is some rhyme and reason to what he does or doesn't do and it's probably not as complicated as we'd like to think it is.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if we get a top tier QB then we probably will and if we don't we wont - and it would be the same almost regardless of who the coach is.

16. jaywayne12

101...like UKJET said..they might really like each other..we just havent been given the chance to know that.

Hmm...Im not so sure about the second sentence. Im sure there are coaches and GMS that hate each others guts...but the GM can fire the coach and while he might hate him...he likes what he does on the field and gives him job security too.

Woody had the chance to make all the Jets a happy family...and he didnt.

17. quadcityjetsfan76

Short leash and no grocery duties. We need a personell guy that can build an offense. Rex's early round offensive picks have been marginal at best.

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sanchez is as good as gone, dipshit. So is Holmes. That's something like $15mil in cap saving.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It's what I would have done as owner...Play for your contract Rex...He didnt deserve to be fired and these players like him. Build that offense!

20. Cman68

The best thing that could happen for the Jets is one of two scenarios:

1, Idzik is allowed to make the tough calls on personnel and Woody backs his GM. That way, the Boss really is the Boss and there's no longer any question as to who's running things.

2. Idzik doesn't make the hard calls and is exposed as a GM-ino. That way, the questions stop about who's running things as the answer will be Rex and Woody with Idzik being the rubber stamp. Clarity finally comes to the franchise and we move on.

There has to be a chain of command for this organization to be successful. That chain can't marginalize the GM and expect to be successful long term. Idzik has to be Rex's boss, not his co-worker. Woody has to finally back this situation too.