Woody Johnson Confirms Rex Will be Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 29, 2013.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah it really depends on your definition of prop. I definitely think Idzik's deciding personnel and player contract moves, which is fine by me since that ain't exactly Rex's strength. He just isn't deciding the head coach's employment.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Spot on - Cman , too bad most of the fan base is too enamored with Rex to either see it or really care.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I like how there is apparently zero chance that Idzik liked what he saw from Rex this year and wanted to bring him back.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with your unfounded speculation. Rex will get extended because he has earned it. he coached a team with mediocre talent, cap issues, and numerous injuries to within a game of the playoffs. Rex, Idzik and Woody are on the same page. The Haters will continue to hate, but this team is on the ascendency.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex is bulletproof. No doubt about it now. Next year or the year after or 5 years down the road, Rex Ryan will be the HC of the NYJ's as long as Woody Johnson is the owner.

I've accepted that fact. After 45 years of not making a SB, it really becomes just background noise.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Oh good call. Yeah just different definitions of prop.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For a 'disinterested, non-invested fan', you sure have a lot of opinions

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

If he liked what he saw he'd give him an extension. I don't think there's any indication THAT's going to happen yet.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This could not be further from the truth. Yes Woody likes Rex and why the fuck not....we were a laughing joke most of the years before he came except for the one year wonder with Favre, a move that dug us a huge and unmitigated hole.

Idzik is his own man and damned good, he manages the day to day, the cap, the personnel selection and is in control of the draft, and is not being micromanaged for every draft selection as is the case with Jerry Jones. Rex might not even get shit from Idzik in the way of an extension,, so he is on the hot seat to perform. It's a win win.

Funny how things are, we shit all over the current structure, while everybody kisses BB ass, and I bet similarly no one real thinks there is a GM between him and their all mighty owner while In Fact there is a damned good one that works behind the scenes and makes all the personnel decisions in consort with BB.....and that is the way it should be.

10. Cman68

Of course missing the playoffs 3 years in a row and having a marginal overall record deserves a lifetime extension. When you include all the challenges Rex Ryan overcame and of course, no other coach in the history of the NFL had to deal with, I'm just amazed Rex hasn't been given a 10 year extension at $5mil per at least.

Woody will decide if Rex gets an extension. Not Idzik. Woody makes the decisions when it comes to money, not Idzik. Woody is the GM and Idzik is the prop.

Why Rex wasn't named GM is still a mystery to me. Kinda like the "Qb competition" all over again.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're just as dumb as Cman.

With 7 new starters on D, his best pass rusher on IR, his best 2 receivers out for over half the season, and a rookie QB, Rex misses the playoffs by virtue of a tie breaker.

Yup. I'm enamored with Rex.

12. Cman68

Of course Idzik is his own man. That's why he was forced to keep Rex as a condition to accepting the position. That's why all the other GM candidates that had prior personnel experience didn't get the position over another Cap guy.

Yeah, Idzik absolutely has full GM powers over this team..

Puff, puff, pass man.

13. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Good move, but watch the Jets completely blow it by not giving Rex an extension and creating a year long circus about his contract status.

14. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Im not sure about that...but you are dead on.

This is as classless a move by a totally classless owner. Totally classless...Woody knows the public has been wondering who is in charge..and even if Idzik wanted him back..after WOODY making the announcement..nobody will ever believe Idzik.

A total disgrace. You want unity? You let your GM make the announcement even if your GM did not want him...disgrace.

15. Cman68

You are certainly a Rexaholic. That's fine though as the franchise needs "true believers".

Lets give Rex a 10 year extension with an option for another 10. Maybe by then, you'll be all out of excuses.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Good to be back
    [​IMG]

Lets see what 2014 holds before we all get a hard on over extensions...

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Rex just said he knew before the game started that he was coming back.

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

That's a bullshit statement from original OP. you don't pay a corner $16mil, sorry :breakdance: if anything Rex would have paid the $16mil to have Revis back.

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Great - more speculation and conjecture.

Has anyone here (Kool Aid drinking Homers or otherwise) advocated for a lifetime extension? What about 10 years at $5 million per? Do you have a link demonstrating that Idzik has no say in the coaching staff? How about Rex being considered for GM?

You're not really bringing anything to the discussion.

20. Cman68

Exactly Jay! You let your GM, the guy you hired, to make such a critical announcement to the media. Jerry Jones makes that announcement and as it happens, so does Woody Johnson.

Idzik couldn't fire Rex even if Rex was photographed in a Tom Brady jersey at a strip joint. Rex Ryan is bulletproof and I have a feeling Idzik not only knows this but accepts this as the cost of being "the boss".