ESPN: Signs Point to Rex Ryan Returning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 28, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

It is possible that Idzek sees plenty of potential in Rex and didn't see the incumbent as being a negative.
    Why so many people think that Idzek is looking to offload Rex is stunning

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Did the motivation work? Kinda looked that way.

So who cares if you think it's a toolish move, it's not about you and I, it's about using any means necessary to get the job done. That's what good coaches do.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

How many new GM's in the history of the NFL have kept incumbent coaches for more than a season? It's gotta be a pretty short list. Reese with Coughlin is the only one I can think of offhand but Coughlin had a pretty long and established track record to that point, and I'm still not entirely sure he keeps Coughlin if ownership didn't want him badly.

4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah there's no way Rex is playing hardball, he's not exactly a guy that can write his own ticket anywhere as highly as we may think of him. Especially since I believe in his heart of hearts he wants to be here. Plus with three straight non-playoff seasons he doesn't deserve a long extension anyway and I think even he knows that.

Aside from the fact that they're completely different personalities with different philosophies? It's human nature for any GM to want his own choice as head coach, that's what usually happens in the end. I'm sure Idzik has a short list in mind (people he's worked with or others that he may see as more of his type of coach).

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

What about the Panthers with Gittleman & Rivera this year?

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm more excited about this offensive coaching staff stating together and seeing what it can do with some weapons and Geno in his second year.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that doesn't fit his argument so it must be disregarded

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Even if this was Woody pulling rank, you don't think Idzik would be okay with it? "I suggested we go a different direction. My boss insisted we keep Rex. So we're keeping Rex. What does that mean for me? If it works with Rex, then great. My job is safe. If it doesn't work with Rex, then great. My job is safe." This is best case scenario for any first year GM. If it was an established guy coming in, then yeah, they would have wanted a new guy. But job security is everything. And this gives Idzik more time regardless of the outcome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Reese was an internal promotion. He was going to follow ownership's wishes to the letter and maybe make a change down the road if necessary.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think the second Idzik decided on drafting a QB and put Geno in the hands of Rex's coaching staff Idzik resigned himself to keeping Rex (and his coaching staff) for at least 2 more years.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as they don't extend him prior to the end of the 2014 season, I can live with another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 season.

12. Endlessly Counting

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Rex doesn't deserve an extension. 3 straight years of no playoffs and a roster worse than when he got here doesn't merit that. He's lucky to still have a HC job with this team.

If Rex is so confident, and many of his supporters are, then let him earn a long term extension by fielding a team with a winning record and a playoff appearance next year. Nothing less should be acceptable for him to retain the job after 2014. The excuses for him are done and the only thing that matters is what this team does on the field next year.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am with you on thıs but I wouldn't mınd seeıng hım extended only 1 year.

15. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

what is with the people on this board and this ridiculous idea that the coaches have so much input on the roster. i've seen so many people say rex won with "mangini's" guys and now this is "rex" roster. this isn't college. look at how the browns are doing with "mangini's" guys. there is a gm who handles the player selection and a coach who coaches them. blaming a coach for a better or worse roster is just plain dumb

16. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

the bears with lovie last year did the same thing.

17. Endlessly Counting

One way to do this is to essentially give Rex a new two year contract
    (i.e., a raise for 2014 and add a year for 2015). I would support this, because it resets Rex' situation to the beginning of 2013.

This solution fits everyone's agenda

Rex gets a raise and he is not a lame duck for 2014. If he does well next year, he can be extended again

Woody gets to maneuver the situation more favorably to himself. I can't recall a coach on the hot seat with so much popular support, but if Rex flops next year, a lot of the fans who support him will be calling for his head.

For Idzik, it's almost a no-brainer. If he keeps Rex at Woody's request and he flops, he can say I told you so. If Rex succeeds, Idzik gets praise (he changed Rex for the better etc.) The only way Idzik loses is if Woody wants to dump Rex and Idzik talks him into keeping him. (which does not on its face seem likely) Even if this is the case, the Jets dump Rex next year.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he needs to be extended and it needs to be 2 years through 2016. otherwise the specuation of his job status will be the storyline of 2014. they have done a good job quieting the circus. giving him just 1 year is the same as giving him nothing. everyone will know he is coaching for his job. that 2nd year would stabilize the franchise and make give the media nothing but on field issues to discuss and write about, like it should be

19. JetsNation06

I know it hurts to hear the truth but deal with it. If you don't think the HC has input as to the way his roster is built in conjunction with the GM then you are just plain clueless. Every HC in the league has input into their roster because they're going to be coaching those guys on the field. To act like the HC just coaches and the GM just makes the picks and there's no interaction and planning between the two when trying to upgrade the roster is beyond delusional.

20. JetsNation06

No, he doesn't need to be extended at this point in time. So what if he's coaching for his job? Isn't that what he's supposed to be doing? Earning his job?

He has done nothing to deserve an extension past next season. If anything the needle is pointing against him coming off 3 straight non playoff seasons.