What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

A Jets win on Sunday would mean that Rex Ryan has coached a team with ZERO Pro Bowl players to an (8-8) record. Amazing if you think about it.

2. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

I really hope Rex stays. If Idzik fires him, i think it proves that Rex was basically a goner the day Idzik was hired. Idzik said it's a rebuilding year, yet if he fires Rex, i'm sure he's going to use "not making the playoffs" as a reason. But if it's a rebuilding year, how can missing the playoffs be considered a fireable offense?

I'm annoyed already thinking about it...

3. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

I mean, really, how can any Jets fan be thaaaat bothered by missing the playoffs, when all preseason predictions from the talking heads, and Jets fans all put the Jets at about 5/6 wins? Is a coach accountable for missing the playoffs when playoffs aren't a realistic goal at the beginning of the season?

Personally, i've never been less bothered by a Jets season, and i've seen 90% of Jets games since 1990. There was no same old Jets weirdness, no season crashing plays. They played hard and took punches and stayed alive for as long as their limited talent allowed. The Jets used to be so delicate before Rex. The slightest hint of a tough loss and everyone assumed the Jets wouldn't recover? They were fragile all the way through the Herm era and Mangini's stint up until Rex. This year when they lost, they lost because they simply weren't as good. When they won it was because they showed a ton of fight and heart, and that all comes from Rex. But my point is, they're simply a medicore team at best, but with a shitload of upside as long as Rex gets to finish what he started. Geno showed so much poise for being so in over his head. He seems tough mentally, and the way he rebounded from that 3 game disaster is really impressive. Maybe this year will harden him and soon the game will slow down for him and he'll be more confident running with the ball and he'll really be a force...very cam newton-like. I could totally see it. Put some playmakers around him, fix up the loose ends in the secondary, and they're a top 4 AFC team no doubt.

4. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

I wish, dude.

5. Perid

Perid New Member

He should go.He tried to play for this team but anyway. Bye-Bye, Rex.

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is a fair assessment - it has been common knowledge that Idzik didn't have a choice to keep Rex or let him go last year.
    The only reason Rex was retained is that CHEAP FUCKING ASS WOODY didn't want to eat Rex's contract with 2 years on it. This was going to be a rebuilding year anyway, so why have to pay 2 head coach salaries in a year where the team is obviously going nowhere.

With the salary cap situation in better sorts now, the team can go our and get players and improve. It is not out of the question for this team to turn it around and make the playoffs like KC did this year.

Probably the best case scenario is the least likely -- Do not extend Rex, do not fire Rex - let him coach out his contract and prove his worth.

While Rex has done nothing this year to be fired, he certainly hasn't done anything worthy of being extended.

7. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta is running a twitter poll. So far, very lopsided for keeping Rex. Somewhat surprised the fanbase is as strongly in favor of keeping Rex. Normally, everyone around here wants change. Hope the front office is listening to the fans this time around (or at least coming to the same conclusion).

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

8. The Dark Knight

Fans, Players, and Media rallying around Rex. Very surprising to see, but cool. Tomorrow says a lot about the team. Beat Miami and Rex has to stay. Great momentum headed into 2014. Lose and allow them into the playoffs? Not good........

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It'd make sense to keep RR, so they'll probably can him. Those are our Jets.

10. The Dark Knight

:lol: So true. Rex deserved to be fired MUCH more after last year. You clean house with Tannenbaum and Rex gone. Instead, Rex comes back and overachieves with a weak roster. There should be no debate about him staying or leaving, as the team has improved, and he has coached better, while looking as if the team is headed in the right direction.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lolwhut?

_

12. JStokes

I don't think franchises should be run by fan sentiment but I'm not so sure Idzik wants a fan firestorm on his hands given the positive press Rex seems to be universally receiving.

I think he gets a 1 year extension next week and I think he deserves it.

_

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mehta's poll on Twitter is over 90% in favor of Rex.
    Similar results on ganggreennation poll.
    right here on theganggreen, where fans are as critical as anywhere i've seen, is still over 77% approval.

One thing is for sure...firing Rex will be wildly unpopular amongst players and fans, and likely well criticized in the media.
    Add that up, and I'd say the clock on Idzik's job would start ticking the moment he makes that decision.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think it has to be a 2 year extension or firing..
    a 1 year extension only invites in more limbo and distracting speculation.

I'd tack on 2 years. If things bomb, they can still fire him after next year (they'd just have to pay 2 years off)

15. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Come on Jets! Win tomorrow for the Coach and for the sake of beating my least favorite franchise in all of sports. I'll be devastated if we are Rex-less come monday morning.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A one year extension serves no purpose. It basically tells everyone if he doesn't perform next year he will be gone -- the same as just letting him coach out his last year does. Why would woody risk having to pay him when a one year extension and no extension result in the same things?

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Keeping Schotty when firing Mangini.
    Keeping Rex when firing Tanny.

Woody has a history of NOT wanting to pay off extra years, what makes you think so nonchalantly "they'd just have to pay 2 years off".

18. JStokes

When you say "basically tells everyone", who exactly do you mean?

The fans? I don't care.

The media? I don't care.

The players? Those guys will run through walls for him whether he gets an extension or not.

Rex doesn't care if he has one year or two years, he's going to coach his ass off regardless. It's just the way these things happen, they almost never let the coach go into his last year as a lame duck, except in Rex's case I don't think it holds true.

_

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A one year extension still makes him a lame duck coach, the same as simply coaching out the last year, because at the end of the year they will either get rid of him or give him a longer extension. It isn't as if they will then let him go into the following year without another extension so it puts them right where they are now.

That's what it tells everyone so it serves no purpose of job security or giving the perception that they are committed to him. And if it serves no purpose there is no reason to do it.

20. JStokes

I don't disagree with you, it's just not the way these things happen.

I don't think Rex needs an extension because his players will play hard for him whether he's there for a year or 5.

But rarely do FOs let a coach go into his last year on the last year of a contract.

I agree it doesn't serve any purpose other than that's the way it usually happens.

Kind of silly but there you are.

_