The other coaches thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With an improved record over last year, a 6-2 home record, a top 10 defense, and wins over the Falcons, Saints (#6 overall) and Patriots (#4 overall) my belief is Idzik will extend Rex 2 yrs.

Idzik will beef up the offense with receivers, TE, and give some help to the secondary.

And in 2014 Rex will be playing for his job.

If we miss the playoffs (again), Rex will be bought out and a new HC brought in.

Just my take on things.

Woody would agree to this just to keep Rex on board one more year even if he has to buy Rex out.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets do not have a top 10 defense.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody is not going to want to buy Rex out like that. He doesn't like doing that sort of thing. And if they lose in '14 and to listen to Idzik to buy him out one year after extending him? no sir, that's not happening, or will at least be a tough sell to Woody.

-Think about it, Idzik tells him to extend, and then fires him one year later and Woody has to pay twice for a good coach - Rex's remaining deal and his replacement. He's going to be WTF kind of ship are you running here, Idzik?

Rex is either coaching for his job in '14 on his current deal, or he's being bought out this year IMO. I think that he's being bought out this year though. I think the decision will come from Idzik who will want his own guy.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

As of today the Jets are the 11th defense in the NFL in YPG and 3rd in the NFL in rushing D. It has been no secret that the passing D has seriously struggled this year (23).

I think the "not a top 10 defense" argument needs historical context... in that context the argument is a stretch. Right here, right now they are not. They're off by one, still dominant in the run game, and the pass D can be fixed.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's more of a fact, not an argument, that the Jets do not have a top 10 defense this year. If you want to make the argument that it is, against the facts, you can go ahead and add whatever context you want to attempt to spin it.

It gets a bit annoying consistently seeing people continue to refer to our defense as top 10 or great or whatever when it's not.

If you want to say we have a top 5 run D or great run D you won't hear any arguments from me.

#65 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  6. xxedge72x

It's a fact to say that the Jets 2013 defense is not a top 10 defense.

THAT fact obscures the fact that since Rex Ryan has been in the league he's run a top 10 defense. The fact is solid as of today, but the argument is disingenuous. It is meant to forward a point that is inaccurate.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What is disingenuous about pointing out the Jets do not have a top 10 defense when people incorrectly state that they do? I think the disingenuous part is the people incorrectly stating something that isn't true.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Call it what you want but the run defense is very good our pass defense is not so good ,,,,,,,can another good def coach come in and coach this defense ? I say yes,,,,,very easily,,,,,our secondary needs tweaking but the front 7 is almost there,,,,,,,,,,the offence,,,,? That's a whole other thread / problem !

9. xxedge72x

The Jets are behind Cleveland in being a top 10 defense by 36 yards. When your argument is that "the Jets are not a top 10 defense" what you're doing is focusing on one exclusive fact to the exception of all others. You're painting a picture... that picture is "Rex Ryan does not run a top 10 defense". That's a literal true statement in 2013 15 weeks in, but it is not true of his tenure with the Jets and its selective reasoning.

10. njjet

njjet Member

IMO it's not the coaching it's the drafting that's the problem. Moving up and giving away draft picks has been our downfall. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. We've pick up too many projects in the last several years.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets haven't had a top 10 defense all year. You can look at it by yards, by points, by turnovers, by DVOA, the eye test, by whatever the hell you want. They are not and have not been a top 10 defense this year. The only thing they're top 10 in is run defense.

Lying about them being a top 10 defense is the incorrect position to take and giving me a hard time about pointing out that fact is bullshit. You side with the people who are either lying or incorrect, OK, got it.

Maybe they dominate the Dolphins this week and manage to creep into the top 10 but I highly doubt it. If they do, I will also agree that they're a top 10 defense.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

me thinks referring to us as a top ten D really speaks to the run D where we have been very very good, aside from the rare big play.

the pass D overall is so so with a much needed improvement in sack numbers

the purists could say that we have a potential foundation for a very good run game on offense and an already good run defense in place - folks thats the necessay ingredients for a winning team.

looking at it that way may just keep rex on the sideline and idzik firmly in charge.

13. xxedge72x

This year they have not been. I'm not disputing that point. You're accusing me of lying while I'm agreeing with that point and calling me on bullshit for pointing out other factors. Kettle calling the pot black?

14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This...I've got friends all over the country, in different markets, and "another man's trash is another man's treasure."

Lions, Vikings, Tampa, Jacksonville would hire Ryan in a FLASH!!!!! Make no mistake, Ryan's loyalties extend to his coaches as well...not just the players. The ONLY way a guy from Ryan's coaching tree does NOT follow him would be due to a generous promotion. I like Karl Dunbar but he's not ready for a bump. Ryan is VERY well liked in league circles, for the most part, and the people that work with/for him swear by him. Ryan is also an unabashed Jets fanatic. If he weren't a coach he would be one of those guys you see in the stands with a license plate around his neck. That is one of the reasons he is perfect for the Jets...his defensive staff, at the least, included. If he gets fired it would be the jilted lover syndrome...he would spend the rest of his career attempting to destroy the Jets...he's very much like his father that way. Pray he goes to an NFC team because if we have to play him more than once every so many years...not good. That man can will teams to win on sheer passion if needs be.

If Ryan goes I personally feel the entire staff blows up. MM is gone. There is no way he is here unless somehow HE is their choice for Head Coach to replace Ryan. I see no coaching "golden goose" on the roster right now.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The foundation is set on the coaching side but I do believe we need to out the wide receivers coach as well as the linebackers coach.

We acquire a free safety via draft, and rebuild the offense from the ground up - I see us being a much better team then last year. I am talking playoffs.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I wasn't accusing you of lying I was referring to the people who continue to refer to the jets defense as top ten when it's not. I also acknowledge that they could just be ignorant to the truth.

I will continue to point out that these people are wrong every time I see it.

17. xxedge72x

Here is a stat that I care about when evaluating whether to bring in a new coach: team defense since Rex has joined the Jets - stats pulled from profootballreference:

Team - Team D YPG
    PIT 293
    NYJ 303
    SF 313
    CIN 316
    BAL 318
    HOU 326
    SD 328
    SEA 330
    CAR 333
    CHI 341
    PHI 341
    GB 343
    DEN 343
    MIA 344
    ARI 346
    MIN 346
    NYG 347
    STL 352
    ATL 353
    BUF 354
    CLE 354
    KC 355
    DAL 356
    NO 356
    IND 357
    OAK 357
    WAS 357
    DET 358
    JAC 359
    TEN 361
    TB 363
    NE 369

18. theride

theride New Member

Woody Johnson is going to turn the New York Jets into the next Cleveland Browns. Hiring new coaches every 5 years thinking the grass is always greener. You don't know what you have until it is gone. The Jets will find this out very soon I am afraid.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No one is going to argue that Rex didn't have a very good to great defense here for a few years. It has been going downhill though and that's why I get pissed when people keep referring to our D as top 10 this year.

Care to post the offensive equivilant of what you did for defense? Since, as we all know, Rex is not just the defensive coordinator and is responsible for the entire team.

20. xxedge72x

Rex is responsible for the entire team and I believe the offense has been mismanaged since he came here. I feel that keeping Schotty was a mistake. I feel that the management of Sanchez was a mistake. I feel that the constant nomination of unproven quantities like Stephen Hill has stunted the growth of the offense. I feel that the Jets should have had a proven veteran on the roster to go along with the growth of Geno Smith. I don't like how the offense has been handled.

When it comes to getting a new head coach I need to know that they are going to be able to provide in offense what Rex provides in defense. Are any of the candidates out there even remotely a sure thing to give that? As pointed out by the stats I've posted, Rex is an extremely capable and competent defensive coach, and I'm not particularly worried about the statistical slide defensively because I still believe Rex can do the job in that area. I'm nervous about his handling of the O however I believe Marty Mornhinweg is a very good coach and was a very good hire for the Jets considering Rex's ineptitude in that area.

So at the end of the day, what coach out there will give the Jets more than Rex and Marty give right now? I just don't see it.