Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

WRONG! Retaining him would lead to a divisive effect on the team. No QB can play while looking over his shoulder. Besides I personally have seen more of SANCHEZ's below average QB play then I care to ever see again! Sanchez is perhaps one of the most inaccurate passers in the NFL with poor pocket presence. Its laughable that MM will turn him into an efficient QB worth keeping so his fan club will be happy! IMO its the team that counts! GO JETS and Dump Sanchez asap!

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I absolutely wish we could have kept Sanchez. if he had not gotten injured I think he would have had a lot of success in the West Coast System

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

One of the bigger complaints over the last 5 years is that there hasn't been a legit backup on the team to push the starter. Having Sanchez on the team would force Geno to really prove he is the man or sit on the bench.

No matter who is brought in it will create some waves -- you bring in a guy or keep Sanchez - they will both come in knowing they will have a chance to start because geno is not a lock for anything.

Hell the Cowboys brought back a 41 year old retired high school coach to backup at QB this week. There aren't many people out there to make you stand up and say oh if they sign this guy we are good to go!

4. jago

jago Active Member

too much money ,too many bad memories.
    besides if he started this year, then our answer on geno,
    whatever that may be, would be pushed back an entire year
    and we'd be going thru this same thread in dec 2014.

5. Mitch_Dumstein

Hopefully he is adios, gone, goodbye in a week or less

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

At this point it's not about Mark's talent level. Regardless of his wins/losses history here he has the talent to win in this league as long as he has a reasonable supporting cast. I believe if he had Houston's talent they are in the SB discussion. Schaub IS a choke artist.

Having said that, Mark's days as a Jet are and should be done. From a purely personnel and human level he simply cannot hang around. They either need to give Geno the keys to the "Kingdom", bring in a vet like Shuan Hill or make SURE they somehow get one of the top 3 QB's in next year's draft. Either way Mark has worn out his welcome, definitely, from a fan standpoint and in many ways, I would think, from a team perspective as well. They have gotten a LOT younger and it's time for the team to grow from there.

Unfortunately, I'm in the camp that believes Sanchez WILL go to a team like the Jaguars/Browns/Vikings and, surprisingly, start for the next 10 years. (It's Jets Kharma...don't you know)

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You guys really overestimate Sanchez's worth as an NFL starter. No one will sign him to be their starter. If Sanchez starts next year, it's because the starter got hurt or was playing poorly.

Btw Sanchez isn't this big time clutch QB that some of you try to portray him as.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I think he's a little more clutch than you do not give him credit for. One playoff run would be a fluke...two is a little more of an indictment.

People REALLY have to look at the "Whole Picture". Again, not blowing Sanchez love here but his Coordinators really have blown monkey chunks...

I think Sanchez ends up somewhere in the middle.

On a final thought...you tell me WHY a team like Jacksonville wouldn't bring him in to compete as the starter? Why?

9. The 1985er

Where was this clutchness when we needed it in 2011 to get into the playoffs?

Where was it in 2012?

A team like Jacksonville would more than likely draft Bridgewater or another QB. They would bring in Mark to be a backup.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more

Your view is the view most people who watched Sanchez play have of him. Others like to look back on a stretch of games he played in the playoffs behind some really strong Jets teams and act like thats all that matters and that we are throwing away this big time, big moment player.

We aren't. We are throwing away a below average QB who might make for a decent backup somewhere. The guys who love Sanchez love him based off of a small sample size of "clutch throws" or games. When in reality the correct way to judge a player is to take the large sample size, and look at all the games he played.

11. The 1985er

I thought he had potential but he never quite put it all together. Maybe it's a combination of his own doing and the organization. But looking at the big picture he's just not that good. Geno struggled this year but at least he's a rookie and he gets the benefit of upside. Those playoff runs were exciting but unlike those Sanchez supporters I don't romanticize them, and use them as validation to keep him around.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Except the fact he brought us back in the 4th quarter and overtime many times and stepped up his play in the postseason you'd be right.

13. The 1985er

Right and if he was this big time clutch QB we sure as heck could've used some of that clutchness against the Eagles, Giants and Dolphins in '11. We damn sure could've used it on thanksgiving night in '12 and we needed it on Monday night against the Titans.

14. The 1985er

And another thing I'll give him credit for his performance against the Bengals and Patriots in the 09 and 10 playoffs. Beside those games he was average at best.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Clutchness isn't a constant trait. It comes and it goes. In 2010 he had a phenomenal year on late drives to help us out. In 2012, he had 4 INTs including a backbreaker in TEN with a win to stay alive in the playoff race. He had a back breaker INT in MIA in 2011. It isn't a constant thing, look at Tony Romo in back tp back games. Terrible INTs to facilitate the GB comeback and end the game, crucial GW TD drive against WAS injured. Tom Brady this year is another example if we just look at the NO game. What seemed to be a game ending INT only to be followed by a GW TD drive. Game ending INTs against CIN and MIA, game winning TD drives against NO and CLE.

So Sanchez was "clutch" in the general definition in 2010, but it didn't carry over at the same rate in 2011 or 2012.

16. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am 100% absolutely positive. Mark needs to move on, for the benefit of himself and the team. He will be cut, we'll get the reduced cap, and he can go try to find a situation where he lands as a backup or is permitted to compete for a starting job. Jets need to bring in a veteran backup QB that will have a fresh start with the team. Too many bad memories with Sanchez and too much baggage at this point. At his absolute best, Sanchez may put up numbers similar to a guy like Fitzpatrick. And the league realizes that Fitzpatrick is a backup.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bringing back Sanchez isn't even an option. The media circus that would ensue is the exact opposite of the direction that Idzik is (smartly) trying to take the team in. To be completely honest, I'm unsure that I even want competition to be brought in for Geno.

Let's accept that with the skill position players we have, we are likely 1 more year away from legitimate contention. I want to see how Geno performs with a full offseason to prepare and all of the first team reps throughout training camp. When there's a QB competition, the starter is always left more unprepared. Geno has shown enough to make it feasible that he can be a productive player.

I like what we have in the backfield, and by cutting Holmes, Sanchez and Cro we are going to have an enormous amount of cap space. We should use this money and a first round draft pick to get a couple skill position players. We don't even need anything special at those positions, just better than the heaping crap we've had lately.

The only times that Geno has struggled to an unacceptable extent (for a rookie) this season were the games against the Bills, Ravens and Dolphins immediately following the bye. Not coincidentally, this was a period in which he was without Jeremy Kerley and Santonio Holmes was either out or limited every week. Before that, the Jets were 5-4 coming off of wins vs the Pats and Saints in 3 weeks. After they were both back, the offense began looking respectable again (37 points vs Raiders, 20 points vs top 5 Panthers D, 24 points vs top 10 Browns D). Kerley isn't even a top tier talent, but the fact that his presence made such a difference in Geno + the offense speaks volumes to the lack of talent we have.

It isn't unthinkable that we can add 2-3 players similar to Kerley's value in the offseason and draft. If Geno doesn't show signs of progress with an upgraded offense and a full offseason of preparation and first team reps, then it would be time to bring in competition or move on. However, we need to understand that rookies must be graded on a curve, because simply put, they are rookies. You can't give up on a quarterback after one year, especially one who has amazing physical talent and only mental deficiencies. The mental part of the game is what comes with time and reps.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I thought he had potential too and I do think there is some truth to the Jets FO letting him down, it's a combo of both really. They took talent away from him and asked him to do more with less. But overall the guy just wasn't as good as we thought he was.

The Sanchez lovers will blame it all on the Jets taking talent away from him though while placing no blame on the actual player.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

No matter who they bring in their will be media -- cutting Sanchez will create 3 months of media attention if he doesn't sign right away with another team and they don't bring in a veteran asap.

All the news will be should the Jets bring back Sanchez...so the media angle is bullshit either way. They need to determine who is the best potential vet QB that will be available next year to play in this offense and has shown the ability to win in this league. Well if you say Sanchez isn't in the discussion you are kidding yourselves...he is young, has playoff experience, has won in NY, and is a solid locker room guy who appears to be well liked by everyone on the team. So when you look at who the Jets will bring in to make a run to start in 2014 Sanchez is on that list.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You may be 100% correct on that.

But when Sanchez becomes a 'hot' commodity as a back-up or leads a team deep into the playoffs -- or, God Forbid, a Super Bowl -- I don't want to see a single f****** thread on this site about entitled WHY DID WE LET SANCHEZ GO? or WHO IS TO BLAME FOR LETTING SANCHEZ GO?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.