What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It depends on who the new coach would be.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

To respond to the first paragraph, yes many did. The so called experts all over the place (not just espn) said mostly the same thing. Fans are not experts.

As for your 2nd paragraph, it's pure speculation without an ounce of proof. Izdik could have fired Rex when he first walked in the door, but he didn't and they would be stupid to do such a thing. Woody isn't a reason, he's a person. What's the reason if he's most likely fired the next year anyways? I love how people state things as absolute fact when they have no evidence whatsoever behind them. I highly doubt that Idzik was forced to keep Ryan. That's like being forced to keep Tom Brady. It's the only logical choice.

#482 Barcs, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If it happens get ready to put on your knee pads.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sooooo, the Jets blowing games has nothing to do with talent. Gotcha. So a great coach with shit talent is supposed to make playoffs every year? Right. The coach can't go out there and throw the damn ball. Of course you want to win games, but have you watched the QB quality of play the last 4 years???? You can't make gold out of copper and the Jets have won almost every close game this year.

#484 Barcs, Dec 24, 2013
  5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Nobody's hanging their hat on it, they are arguing against the people that wrongly claim the win (biggest win since 2010, maybe even earlier) doesn't mean anything and try to drop every excuse in the book why the Jets won (injuries, away game for NO, etc etc etc) without giving any credit to the Jets at all. That is typical of media sensationalists, but I guess as a Giants fan you qualify as well.

This team is a below average to mediocre team with a lot of young talent in key positions. When you have a team like that you can expect a lot of ups and downs, regardless of the coaching. It's just the nature of the beast. 6-10 last year - the talent gets worse because we can't afford anybody - then we do better this year with a rookie QB from round 2.

What's your excuse for the Giants? They have way more talent than the Jets.

:rofl: Here come the excuses and cherry picked stats! Hilarious how you conveniently ignore the best teams in the league of recent times like the Broncos, Patriots, Saints & Packers. What a piss poor argument. How many of those teams have the talent level of the Jets? The niners were already loaded, Chiefs got a new QB, Bears are 8-7 and lost last week by 40 but they are a top team, Dolphins are a top team LOLZ! What about the SB champion Ravens? Or the prior superbowl champion the Giants? or prior champion the Packers? or the prior champion, the Saints? Yeah lets call a bunch of mediocre teams the top of the league and blindly put it on the new coaches without evaluating a single other factor! :lol: Giants fans crack me up.

Success rides much heavier on the QB than the HC.

#485 Barcs, Dec 24, 2013
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I didn't say that at all. I am saying Rex has done a good coaching job, but I wouldn't say great. There have been winnable games that were lost due to factors besides lack of talent.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Coaching can only win you so many games w/out talent, sometimes the players need to step up exhibit talent and bail the coaching staff out when things don't go well.

We don't have an offensive player with the level of talent that can say, hey jump on my back I got this coach.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Fair enough. Care to elaborate on those other factors that lost us close games? To me, it looked like poor QB play and massive turnovers costing us games. Didn't Geno throw 3 picks in the 2nd half of the first Patriots game? That was the only close loss of the year, although you might consider Carolina, since it was neck and neck until a blocked punt and a pick 6. Believe me, I'm not saying Rex is perfect, but there are very few coaches I'd replace him with and expect improvement.

#488 Barcs, Dec 24, 2013
  9. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I am with you. I started the thread, and was the first vote to "Keep Him". However, I just try to be fair. Rex could have done better the last few years, but he definitely could have done worse too. 7 or 8 wins in 2013 is a huge accomplishment with this roster. I am as sunshiny as it gets for a Jets fan, and I felt the team would be (6-10) at best and I thought maybe I was being kind.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

For the most part we agree. If you believe that then Rex should definitely be canned. He has shown no ability to develop a QB and has gone through 3 OC's.

I make no excuses for the Giants. They are terrible. Of course their HC wins when the QB plays well and losses when he plays poorly. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Coughlin is fired and it wouldn't bother me in the least. Same is true of Rex. Teams move on from HC and have success and failure. HC's move on from teams and have success and failure. At the end of the day if Idzik is a good GM Rex is pretty much irrelevant because as you point out we will get our QB and surrounding talent. Any 1st or 2nd year coach could win with those 2 things as you pointed out. The Jets will be what they will be with or without Rex. Chances are a different HC might well help develop the QB better then Rex will. That's not an excuse by the way or a cherry picked stat. The reality is most teams going to the playoffs have relatively new coaches. Continuity doesn't appear to be a big factor in today's NFL. Comparing Rex Ryan to BB is absurd. He isn't in the same area code.

I don't believe the Saints or the Packers have locked up a playoff spot yet this year it's week 17.

I like the smiley's very Christmas spirit. Have a Merry!

#490 Biggs, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  11. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I find it hard to blame Rex for being bad at developing QBs. First of all, he's only had one unless you expected him to develop a rookie in a few months (not sure how that's possible).

More importantly, Rex I assume has almost nothing to do with the offense. A fair criticism would be to say that he doesn't know offense and often neglects that responsibility as head coach. If that's why you would want him fired, that's understandable. But to want him fired because the offense sucks, well it isn't really even his offense.

#491 SoulFood, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

MHO is RR will be a ex NYJ by the time the plane lands back in NJ from Miami. Oh yes in drifting thru this thread I do not see anywhere any reference to RRs remarks when hired which in case U forgot were I will bring a SB to the NYJs. Well now it is 5 years later & I do not remember us winning a SB during this 5 year period of his employment with the NYJs. Does any one out there remember us becoming SB champs while he has been our HC? If I am correct he should be fired just on that bases of promising something to us fans that he could not produce :sad:

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

14. The Dark Knight

One thing that would not allow me to sleep at night, is the thought of Rex getting fired, hired elsewhere as HC, and winning the Super Bowl with a new team. Which will happen for sure, if he is canned by Woody. That is just the Jets luck.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I just want some continuity for once. We have a good coach and we have a good OC. we have a solid foundation in place on both offense and defense, let's build on it.

16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If your post implies that the Jets' coaching staff lost us games with in game decisions, I'm not seeing it

I just took a quick look at our losses in 2011, 2012 and 2013
    Without making a game by game list, a majority of games that could have been won were lost due to QB turn-overs.

Two coaching decision losses that still sting are the 2011 Broncos loss, where we had everyone on one side of the field and gave Tebow a free dash to the EZ (MS threw a pick six in that one BTW) and 2011 Giants, where Mark Sanchez dropped back 60 times! We had ball 1st & ten on 50 with 5 mins to go, down by 6 and we threw 3 straight incompletions.

Other than that, I am hard pressed to recall times where games were lost because of in game coaching decisions.

Before we let Rex go, I would love to see what he does with a competent NFL caliber QB. We haven't had one since Sanchez circa 2010, and that's debatable.

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

My vote is to extend his contract for a year and if we don't make the playoffs next year than you fire him.

I see some people in this thread want change for the sake of change, but do you realize how much of an overhaul this team will need if you can Rex?

Pretty much the whole coaching staff would be gone, leading to new off and def philosophies for whomever the new hire is. MM? Gone. Dunbar? Gone. The QB will presumably have to learn a new system be it Geno or someone else.

Extend Rex a year, use the $40 mil in cap space to help fill holes such as WR, o-line, secondary, etc. and use the 10-12 draft picks we'll have to lay the groundwork for the future.

Let Rex go to war with that next year and if we don't make the playoffs hopefully we'll have a much better team for a new coach to come in and take the reigns (similar to what Rex inherited from Mangini).

18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

You are not alone

I think this is a realistic concern of many Jets fans
    And I think it's more than an idle concern.

Put Rex on a team w/a competent , non-turnover prone QB, and he could win a Super Bowl. Everyone knows it. Those who say that Rex will not get another HC job right away are dead wrong. He's coming off a season where the great majority of "experts" are saying he did a great job. If Schwartz goes in Detroit, can't you see Rex landing there? Dallas is a also landing spot, although if the Cowboys lose, Garret has an excuse if Romo doesn't play, so he may not get fired.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rex could be the next Herm Edwards.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not only do I not see this happening - but I could careless if it does. I hate this argument in sports. And I say sports, because this that's the only realm in which this argument is even made.

You evaluate a person by the job they are doing and react accordingly in the now. You don't worry about the type of work they may do in the future somewhere else because A) it doesn't mean they would've done that here and B) it doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to fire him at the time.

If the Jets fire Rex, I wish him the best. If he has success elsewhere good for him, but it doesn't mean that it was a bad decision to fire him. For the NYJ he was nothing but an average, one-sided HC. You fire those guys.

If Apple is having disappointing returns, not reaching their optimal performance, and in turn fires their CEO, do you think they would care if he goes onto have great success with another company? Of course not - they would wish him the best while acknowledging it didn't work out in their situation. Why is it not like that in sports?

Hopefully it's just a fan thing and Woody/Idzik don't think like that because that's a disastrous way of running a team. As a fan, I also don't get it though. Extend/Keep/Fire Rex based upon his job performance only..