What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Um, yea. So what about 2012? And does Rex have no responsibility for the fact that your boyfriend was playing with 3rd string offensive linemen in preseason?

#461 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

310 votes is pretty decent sample size. Thanks for voting guys. 76% of Jets fans want Rex back. The players want Rex back. Rex coached very well in 2013. Woody seems to still like Rex. It all comes down to John Idzik though. Funny how that all works, huh?

3. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

And you know what happens when the Majority want something? we get F****D

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

2012 we lost the best player in franchise history to an injury in week 3, lost our top 2 weapons on o for most of the year, had Chaz Schilens starting many games, rookie Stephen Hill starting, Clyde Gates got major PT as did Konrad Reuland. NO ONE could have done anything more w/ the 2012 and 2013 NY Jets than rex Ryan.

Idzik kept the sham competition going, he is why mark got hurt and why we won't be a playoff team when we would have been.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

When I first was responding to Biggs I think, I just said 2000s and grouped NE, IND, PITT, and BAL together for the AFC, so I didn't look before 2000.

Yes when you take out the worst 5 years span in the 2000s for those teams, they match Rex. When I was responding to Biggs, I was responding to the idea that BAL and PITT have had great 2000s losing players, coaches, and coordinators and have done pretty well for themselves without a single MVP QB or all pro team QB between them if I counted correctly.

The discussion you are having is different from the one I started for Biggs, hence the different goal posts

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I just can't see the upside for firing Rex and bringing in some inexperienced coordinator and starting all over (new HC will want his own OC, making it the 4th change in 4 or 5 years at OC). We've done this over and over again. The players are playing for Rex, they like Rex, the fanbase likes Rex. If he finishes at 8-8 with the talent he's had on this team, he should be in the running for COTY. If he made the playoffs he would have been a shoe in.

If they can bring in someone like Cowher, Gruden, or Lovie Smith I would be OK with it. Those guys either won a SB or been there (Lovie went with Rex flippin Grossman for Gods sake), but they're not going to do that, it's going to be a guy who makes his mistakes with the Jets and goes on to have success elsewhere ala Peter Carroll or Bellicheck.

7. nyjunc

ok, fair enough. The bottom line is Rex has been very successful here even the last 2 years where w/ the healthy talent we had we should have been '96 or '96 bad(or close to it).

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed it's probably time for him to move on to another team, the Jets might be interested.

9. Mitch_Dumstein

No need for the Jets to move down to.the clazzy goindz level...ming wid da flazh

10. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I'd be inclined to want Rex back for a couple reasons:

1. He didn't have the kind of team this year where making the playoffs was a realistic expectation, I think there's unanimous agreement there.

2. He still managed to have the team playing hard from what I could tell.

3. There should be a good opportunity to improve the lineup pretty drastically via free agency and the draft.

4. Continuity wins in this league. A constant revolving door of coaches isn't the answer.

5. We hear the phrase, "...gives us the best chance to win" all the time. Who is a prospective new coach that will give the Jets a better chance to win than Rex? Save me from having to hear Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher. Minuscule chance of either of them coming to the Jets, not that I'd be petitioning for either of them to begin with.

My only real reason to say fire him now is this: Don't bring him back with a leash short enough to fire him if there's a slow start. Meaning, if he's that close to being canned at the end of this season then don't let him enter Week 1 2014 as a half-dead man walking HC. If that's the case, then I'd rather the change be made now. Get the new coach in with a full training camp, a full compliment of his own people around him.

11. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I dare someone to name me another Head Coach who has 7 [or more] wins with 5 [or more] rookies starting.

This is Rex's second time starting a rookie QB from week 1. Name me another Head Coach who's done that twice and has 15 wins with those QB's [potentially 16.]

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Let's take it from Idzik's standpoint. What reasons can he give Woody to make him agree Rex needs to go? Only focusing on the 2013 season of course, the only season they have worked together.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Absolute, utter BS. You are incredible.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rationalization is a process of not perceiving reality, but of attempting to make reality fit one’s emotions.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't think that changes the argument for or against Rex. All of those HC are better then Ryan.

16. NCJetsfan

The fact that they've only worked together for one season means nothing imo. Idzik will judge Rex based on several factors.

First and foremost, will be if Rex's philosophy and vision for the team meshes or is at least compatible with Idzik's. That will be closely followed by whether Idzik thinks Rex is the right HC to guide a young, developing team and develop the right attitudes and habits. With Rex being a players' coach, not very disciplined himself, and not holding players accountable, it's hard to see how Rex could survive.

Next, I think Idzik will look at the job Rex has done during his entire tenure as HC. If Rex has been heavily involved in personnel choices (draft, FA and final roster), then that will work against Rex. If he hasn't, then that would be something that could help Rex. He'll look at the team's W-L record, and how the team performed in every game. He'll look at why/how they lost. He'll look at the decisions Rex has made regarding his CS. He'll look at the areas where Rex needed to improve and ascertain whether Rex has actually improved. In addition, when he started, he may have given Rex a list of things that Rex needed to change, improve upon or address in a significant fashion during this season.

Finally, I think his decision will be influenced by two other critical factors. One, if Woody has given him carte blanche to do what he thinks is best for the team, and two, if he has someone in mind that he thinks can and will do a better job than Rex.

As many have said, with Rex being so popular with the player, fans and Woody, he knows that he can't just hope that if he fires Rex he'll be able to find someone who will do better. He has to know or strongly believe that that guy will be be a better fit and do a better job than Rex and why. He knows that his job as GM and future employment as a GM could very likely hinge upon this one decision.

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

17. nyjunc

I don't know why I respond to a fake poster but I will.

If the decision was up to rex mark would have been named QB a week or 2 earlier, Idzik kept the sham competition going even thought it was clear Geno was not ready to play. It is a miracle we have 7 wins.

18. NCJetsfan

Excellent series of posts.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The continuity argument is interesting since Rex has been HC for 5 years and not one of our 3 OC's were hired before Rex fired them. Now did Rex hit the Jackpot with MM? Reid has done pretty well without MM and so has Nick Foles.

20. NCJetsfan

Even if you're right on the bolded part (which I'm not saying you are since you aren't privy to Rex's thoughts), then why was he stupid enough to put Mark in behind the 3rd string OL and risk getting him killed? That alone was reason enough to fire Rex. That's one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen in 50+ years of watching NFL football. If he wanted to give Mark the chance to be the hero and win the position, then he should have also put the 1st string OL back in.

Even if Rex wanted Mark and Idzik wanted Smith, if Rex knew enough about offense and QB play to realize that Geno wasn't ready to play, then he knew that more than likely Geno would falter badly at some point, and he could then bring in Mark to save a game, and if Mark played well and the team won, then he could have then named Mark the starter.

Would you please stop with the "fake poster" crap? It's not true. I don't know why you think I am some other GG poster with a 2nd account, but I'm not.