The other coaches thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 23, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Just because something is always done one way doesn't mean it's the only way or even the right way. I think people do things "because that's how it's always done" way to much.

Sometimes it's best to look at the situation and just do what you think makes the most sense. Maybe this is one of those times and Woody should give the incoming coach the opportunity to interview some of the guys he's already paying. We have some very good coaches here that aren't tied to Ryans hip. Dunbar and Lee are two I'd like to see us retain of possible.

#21 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Mike Shanahan is going to be available. However I'm not sure he would want to deal with an owner like Woody Johnson after he was basically neutered by the idiot owner in Washington.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

A vocal minority of Jets fans and Patriots fans hate Rex. That's about it.

I agree with the sentiment that if Rex goes, they all go.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You want Hitler coaching this team really? Look at what he has done the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

Rode the coat-tails of TD and Elway

5. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if we are asking for an offensive minded coach we already have one in MM so why not just promote him to HC if rex is gone?

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't hate Rex at all. Some of my favorite moments as a fan were watching him and his '09/'10 teams. It just seems very clear, IMO, that we're on a bad path and need to change.

7. dr.velociraptor

With this offense I didn't think the Jets win more than 3 games I mean look at the offensive talent, it's abysmal, Rex may go .500 which I thought was impossible, and not only that he beat the Patriots, Saints, Falcons before they folded, I mean some really big wins for this team. With the defensive front, Ivory picking up as a beast of a back, 12 draft picks, a ton of cap room. I mean I think this team is right in position to go on a nice 5 year tear through this league, maybe longer if they can get stability at QB.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I won't lie, I DO hate the job that Rex has done, but I loved him when he was first hired. I don't hate him as a person, just his incompetence as a HC. He's earned my hatred for his work with his moronic, boneheaded decisions and moves. I'm sure he would be a great guy with whom to sit down and have a beer. I'm also sure that if the Jets' history wasn't filled with hiring rookie HCs prior to Rex who all proved to be clueless and inept, I'd see the job he's done in a better light. I also do not like player's coaches. They never work for long. Too many players these days are lazy, have a sense of entitlement, and really don't care about winning, they just want the fame and $s. They need experienced, disciplinarian-type HCs to get the best out of them and keep them from self-destructing.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. You're talking about firing Idzik, and saying that the team had no talent at the start of the season, then now are saying that they have the talent to go on a "nice 5 year tear through the league" and speak positively of Ivory. Well who do you think acquired Ivory, drafted Richardson and brought in Douzable and will acquire the talent with all those draft picks and cap space to go on a nice "5 year tear through the league"?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What gives you confidence that Rex can create an environment that is conducive to stabilizing the QB position and offense in general? Rex's offenses have turtled up and played too scared to attack whenever they start to falter. That has been a common theme through 3 offensive coordinators.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Really? Who hates beside some of these damn ass Jets fan who want fired.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah let's saddle the new HC with an OC he may not want like we might have done with Rex. If Rex goes, we have to let the new HC pick who he wants. That's what happens, if he wishes to keep MM, awesome.

I really want MM and Dunbar to stay, because I think Dunbar is a great coach and MM did a decent job this year with limited resources.

I highly doubt Shanahan comes here. I think he wants personnel control which I don't think Woody wants to run the team that way.

I trust Idzik to find better players and not miss in FA like Tanny did and then I think MM can do a great job, better than Schotty. I think Rex will lean on them heavily as he should. I personally think the lack of a good passing offense under Rex has more to do with the OC calling the plays and inconsistent QBs we had under Rex than a backwards offense.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Maybe there should be an official HC thread because there's like 10 Rex threads here already.

14. dr.velociraptor

I can't have a dialogue with someone with very little reading comprehension, not over a discussion board sorry.

15. dr.velociraptor

I have to trust Marty to do that, Rex won't be a big part in the offense or the development of a QB.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I like that you're of the opinion that any incoming coach should at least be given the option to keep existing coaches. There's no harm in giving them a chance to keep guys before they are made available to the world. I too want to hold Dunbar if possible, and maybe David Lee.

I don't have much of an opinion either way on Idzik yet. I'm not sure how you can trust him to be more successful than Tanny in finding better players. MM is obviously a better option than Schotty but he still has to answer to Rex.

Rex is obviously the reason we keep seeing the ultra conservative take no chances offenses, especially against teams like the Ravens & Steelers. He also seems to be infatuated with the wildcat when the rest of the league has moved on. Is that helping QB's grow? Those are common themes over 3 offensive coordinators. It's Rex. He's holding the offense back. And people want to use the offense sucking as an excuse - as if he's not responsible for the whole team.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I recommend you read up on the history of MM being a HC.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I respect that you feel that way, I just disagree. I don't believe Rex is the cause of the bad path even though he's influenced it. I still see the positive as outweighing the negative. I also feel that there is no sure candidate out there to be better than Rex. If the Jets are going to replace Rex, I want a sure thing to be a consistent top 10 contender, which is a bigger leap than just being better than Rex.

This franchise has done the flavor of the month thing way too much. I think now is the ideal time to weather the storm and keep a steady hand. We've got a head coach who has brought us the best Jets defense most of us have seen in our lifetimes, an offensive coordinator who has had great success with offense throughout his career and has brought progress with an otherwise untalented unit, and a quarterback who has struggled immensely but also showed some very positive flashes that I believe can be built on.

The Jets have cap space next year, and there will be free agents available who can fill needs and roles that are sorely lacking right now. Idzik can not repair Tannenbaum's mess in one offseason, it is going to be a work in progress for a couple of years.

I see a foundation in place, and I don't want the Jets to change that now. Go with what is here, and improve on it, rather than sink it. Right now, this year and this time, patience is a virtue. I don't want the Jets to change just for the sake of changing. There is enough positive here to keep it together.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Marty Mornhinweg might be the next head coach, wouldn't shock me. Idzik hired him knowing Rex was going to get fired barring a playoff appearance. Would Idzik dump Marty after hiring him? not sure, perhaps Idzik hired Marty knowing he would be next in line.

Ill be pissed if this is the case though, it makes you wonder though.