What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I say keep him only because you just know Idzik is going to bring in some inexperienced coach or coordinator from Seattle. I don't want to break in a new coach, either go get a seasoned coach like Lovie Smith, Gruden, etc... or keep Rex.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you look at the teams at the top of the NFL today most of them have fired and hired new HC in the last 2 to 4 years. Chiefs new HC, Eagles new HC, Bears new HC, Panthers 2nd year HC, 49ers 3rd year HC, hell the Dolphins are in the hunt with a fairly new HC.

The NFL today isn't anything like the NFL of the past.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think we agree? I think basically we agree. If switching coaches doesn't work for the team every 3-5 years, it doesn't necessarily mean that strategy is broken. That's what I was trying to say which is what I think you are saying.

Also, we have to see how long those new HCs keep their teams competitive. If I remember correctly, Herm made the playoffs his first two years, Mangini his first, Rex his first two.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The problem with continuity is if you win in this league your staff is going to get raided by another team. The HC and GM are one part of an organization but it's very often the guys below who come up with the great draft pick, the QB development, etc., etc., etc. Continuity is a myth in today's NFL with the exception of the handful of QB's who are head and shoulders better then the competition that can carry teams year after year to a certain extent.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's not about keeping a coach forever but how about we get close to 10 years? how about we give him a chance to see this re-tooling through? when he came here we had some talent that was underachieving and we nearly made 2 SBs, the talent dipped and he kept us competitive, now armed w/ tons of cap room and picks why shouldn't he get a chance to win w/ the young talent we have and are acquiring?

6. displacedfan

This is true, I never thought about that. But I think of a team like Baltimore or Pittsburgh who had continuity, lost players and coordinators and keep on ticking fine. The Ravens, Steelers, Colts, and Patriots have dominated the AFC since 2000 taking up the majority of the AFC championship games and representing the AFC in all those years but 1. The Colts and Pats had that top echelon QB, the Steelers and Ravens definitely did not.

7. nyjunc

The Steelers have had a HOF QB since 2004, Bal has not but they have had a quality QB since 2008(remember, they didn't win a playoff game from 2002-2007).

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You really think Rex Ryan is unquestionably the best defensive mind in the NFL? You don't even have a clue?

Can we start with Dick LeBeau? Surely you can't think Rex is better than him?

I never said Wade Phillips is better than Rex, btw.

9. displacedfan

Like I said, the opposition might be louder, but the poll shows the majority of the fans want him.

It's easier to keep a coach for ten years if he's making the playoff continually or has a SB on his resume. That's easier for fans to swallow, although, again, the majority of our fans seem to want Rex another year to let him rebuild.

Unfortunately "deserve" has nothing to do with it in the NFL, because the Jets definitely deserve a few SBs.

And again, I mostly agree with you, but I just disagree with the two main things

-The majority of the fans want Rex gone, because the poll disagrees with that.

-Winning organizations don't switch coaches every 3-5 years. This is kind of true, but I disagree with it being straight 1-1 factual statement. Winning organizations tend to have a HC who won a SB in their first few years and that leads to keeping the HC a long time.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

Its obvious that Rex should be extended as HC of the Jets for 3-5 years

Just the fact that he was able to coach the Jets to two conference championship games despite having, arguably the worst QB ever under center and even worse, matched up with Son of Marty at OC proved what a terrific HC Rex is

If he is not retained it will be right up there in Jet franchise disasters with Leon firing one of our few other good head coaches, Pete Carroll to sign Richie Kotite

11. displacedfan

Pitt 2000-2003,
    9-7
    13-3
    10-5-1
    6-10

BAL from 2002-2007 (after having a SB to by them time)
    7-9
    10-6
    9-7
    6-10
    13-3 (fired OC in the middle of the year)
    5-11 (fired Billick after this year)

While this didn't match their "great" pace over the 2000s, I would consider that just clicking fine.

The BAL 5 year stretch compared to Rex's
    9-7
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10
    7-9 or 8-8.

The big difference is that 5th year and BAL winning the division and Billick being the coach fro the Ravens who won a SB under him coaching them in those 5 years.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

How about Pete Carroll - 4th year , Arizona (Arians) First year,
    Denver (Fox) 3rd year, Indy (Pagano) 2nd year?

Seems like most teams in the playoffs are going in with Coaches with less than 5 years with their current team, probably will be either 8 or 9 out of 12.

13. Mitch_Dumstein

I agree

The Giants def need to fire their 125 year old failed HC on Monday

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

All of those teams you both listed are not last in the league in turnover differential or have a QB last in the league in turnovers.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Being last in the league in turnover differential is supposed to be an argument FOR Rex?

He's not our DC, he's the head coach which means he's also responsible for the offense.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dick LeBeau is a good one, I believe they are on par with one another over the past 5 years, you could make the argument on both sides. You have to give Rex credit for his work on the Patriots on several occasions while he has been here. Each time Brady steps up against the Steelers, he has abused Dick LeBeau and the Steelers defense.

He did drop 55 on the Steelers earlier this year - Has Rex ever allowed that much?

Nothing to take away from LeBeau, he is a HOF coach / player.

17. OverloadBlitz

I'm not for or against anybody, simply stating facts.

18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

And turnover differential is also a defensive stat. Rex the defensive guru that he is, has a defense that doesn't create turnovers.

19. OverloadBlitz

He would need to create 30+ turnovers just to tie our offense, nice try though.

20. nyjunc

why do you not count 1998 and 1999 w/ Pitt?

Pitt 1998-2002: 2 playoff apps, 2 playoff wins(1 title game app)
    Bal 2002-2007(6 seasons) 50-46, 2 playoff apps, ZERO playoff wins

Rex 2009-2013 is better than both w/ same # of playoff apps and double the playoff wins and title game apps of those 2 teams combined during those 11 seasons(vs. 5 for Rex).

Bal won the div in the 5th year then went 5-11 in the 6th year.

he was forced to play a rookie QB who wasn't ready to play, that is why the TO differential is so bad.