What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

No the point is you think Rex should stay which is fine and reasonable. He shouldn't stay or go based on puffing out your chest on a win against a good club and not his losses to the Bills after a bye that actually had meaning where he was severely outcoached.

The fact that the Saints are a very average team on the road or that they were limited in that game on O which happens to be their strength is incidental to the point.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, Joe Walton. The Jets stuck with him well after most fans wanted him gone. How'd that work out?

He got fired anyway, after the team declined further. Hess sticking with Walton did nothing to help the team.

Walton is interesting for another reason. He was regarded as a very good offensive coordinator who failed as the HC.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It would be Walton from 1987-1989.

Stop w/ the childish cursing.

If you play I don't care if you are hurt. he killed us that day, MAYBE if he was clearly hobbled and not doing anything I could buy that excuse but he wasn't slowed down and killed us.

and AGAIN, why does it only count when opponents have injuries? Neither Holmes or Cumberland played and we lost Kerley after 1 catch for 1 yard.

4. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

I'm ok with letting him go, but only if you replace him with someone better. Love him or hate him, he's made 2 AFC title games. I don't want some college HC with no NFL experience, or some coordinator coming in here. Those guys might have talent, but I don't know that they'd be an upgrade over Rex, and I don't want to spend 2 years during rebuilding to figure out, only to find out 2 years from now we blew this cycle & have to get a new head coach all over again.

I think 2/3rds of the crap over Rex is 'grass is greener' stuff. How many coaches in the NFL would you rather have? Probably 7 to 10? So, he's equal or better than ~ 20 guys already, and better than a lot of the guys that don't have jobs. Jack Del Rio really an upgrade?

If we can get Cowher or something, fine. Short of that...I'd rather bring him back for 1 last year, get a good offense, and see if we can solve QB. If so, then we should be 10-6. If not, he goes & we bring in a veteran coach than can go for a ring in 2016-17 time frame.

5. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I get it, really I do. But I am tired of the "anybody but Rex" rhetoric.

Who do you propose that we replace him with? You don't flip a switch and find a 12 win head coach. Not even Gruden or Cowher would have turned this pile of shit into a playoff team.

6. Big Blocker

If Idzik cannot find a better person to be HC, I would certainly agree that Rex should be retained.

7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I like Rex when he shows up with a game plan and has the team ready to play, but it doesn't happen consistently.
    Let him finish out his current contract, see what he can do when it's his ass on the line.

8. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Who, in your opinion, do you consider to be better?

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

LOL at the Saints being an average road team. Except for Seattle, every single road loss was very close. The NE game was a gift. Guess they'd better hurry up and fire Payton. That's unacceptable!!!

Yes that was my original point. In this post I was arguing that the win was indeed very meaningful and you can't take away from it because Graham was limited. He's still a beast and still greatly impacted the game. Rex should stay because he has overachieved. I say this because almost every "expert" was predicting the Jets as the hands down worst team in the league and said 3-4 wins with 6 being the ceiling based on the talent. Now we will finish with 7 or 8 wins which almost doubles what most expected.

And for SufferingJetsFan, to follow up on my response. You asked how many offensive superstars Rex has created. It's probably the same as the amount of defensive superstars created by Sean Payton. It's not a valid argument against a head coach.

A lot of people will be butthurt, but Rex will stay. I mean look at all the talent we had to let walk last off season? 2 pro bowlers (1 future HOFer), our #1 receiving target. The talent got worse, but the team performed better than last season with a rookie at the helm. If anything that speaks volumes of Rex's abilities as coach.

#409 Barcs, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

And in fairness to Rex, Payton doesn't have to contend with a league wide referee conspiracy holding him back. :rofl:

11. theride

theride New Member

If the Jets aren't careful, they are going to turn into the Cleveland Browns organization. Get a new coach every 3 to 5 years, who has no idea what they are doing. The grass isn't always greener. Keep Rex Ryan for a few more years and build the offense around Geno! The defense isn't rank that high because they are usually on the field 40 minutes per game. The Jets lead the NFL in the number of 3 and outs with a total of 55. We need WR's! Not a new unproven college coach or offensive coordinator from the Seahawks! The Seahawks suck too!

12. Big Blocker

It would be someone who better understands how to run the O. Some mention Seattle's OC. Perhaps Jay Gruden (I assume John is happy where he is). There are others. My list is not the point here.

Anyway I do not always, but have before, make clear that I do not feel as strongly about this as some. I ftr thought Rex should have been fired last off season because I think the arrangement of Woody requiring the new GM to work with Rex was dumb. I believe it led to several qualified GM candidates refusing the position or taking themselves out of the running. I also thought Rex had a number of terrible post game interviews that were too revealing of his mindset. He stuck with Sanchez too long, had no clue how to improve Sanchez's situation, and there were several other things.

I don't think Rex had a worse year as HC this year than he did last year. So his NOT getting worse is to his credit. Picking Marty I think was to his credit. But I don't think Rex should be in charge of rebuilding the O. He has no track record there, and it stupid to hand that job over to him.

So, I could live with him getting a one year extension, but the top picks and some FA moves go into the O (assuming Milliner can stick as starting Cb, and I dont know whether they can get by at safety with Allen and Bush - they may need to make a move there, too). Marty could be made assistant HC and be given the job of working with Idzik to rebuild he offensive roster.

That I could live with. Rex getting a multi year extension and the authority to rebuild the O would be a disaster, though.

So I prefer he be fired, but if he's not he should only get a one year extension, and someone else has to rebuild the O.

13. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

He needs a few lessons in game management, but he's a hell of a motivator.

14. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Your list is very much the point. If you are calling for Rex's head, show me a list of competent candidates who are not only an improvement over what we have now but also candidates that we have a realistic shot at signing. Seattle's OC and Jay Gruden do not belong on that list, IMO.

It peeves me when people, and I'm not saying that you in particular are doing this, call for a coach's firing simply for the sake of doing so without providing any potential realistic replacements.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I never used to agree with you much but find myself in agreement more often than not lately ... whatever that means. I think this is a very good take, and again, agree.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Visibly asshurt RR detractors.

17. Big Blocker

You are not being realistic when you claim that you are being realistic.

As a practical matter, supervisors tend to consider alternatives to one or more of their subordinates only when they find performace lacking in some way. Even then they may stick with teh subordinate, because change has its downside. The supervisor may look around and not find anyone suitable. But the vast majority of supervisors do not look until they are unhappy. There's too much else to focus on.

It depends on just how unhappy the supervisor is, and who the alternatives are.

But sometimes you can be so unhappy that you just know there's gotta be someone out there who is going to do a better job. It's relative.

As I said earlier I wanted Rex fired last year not because I had someone specific in mind, but because I felt his retention hurt the GM search. And I did not feel he did a good enough job in 2012 to require his retention. I am sure the GM candidates had their own ideas who they wanted. Idzik probalby did, too, but he was forced to accept Ryan's retention, for one year.

And you surely are not saying you are sure there is no one out there who could do a better job than Rex Ryan.

I also have said I am not as big on firing him as some others.

So, the important thing is not my list, but the notion that there is reason for Idzik to not retain him, and to get his own choice in there. I think the GM should be able to choose the HC, since they need to have agreement on the same strategy for going forward. If Idzik retains Rex, then two things - one is he would thereby be saying Rex DOES share his philosophy and plans going forward.

It would also mean if Rex does not help improve the team, Idzik's choice to retain him is on Idzik.

And if Idzik fires Rex, hires someone new, and that person does not succeed, well we will all agree that will be on him, no?

I am certainly not going to provide you a list of people who I gather you are predisposed to piss all over. Life's too short for that. And it is beside the point, notwithstanding your quoted post.

#417 Big Blocker, Dec 23, 2013
  18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Prior to this season, people were so sure about the Jets demise, they predicted 32nd the league, even 3 years from now. Anybody saying the Jets didn't overachieve is kidding themselves. Realistically, we are one 60 yard Tucker field goal away from still being in playoff contention going into the last week of the season. How many folks predicted we'd be this close? And now people want to fire him because he just missed the playoffs in a rebuilding year? There is no logic at all behind the RR hate. If Rex Ryan was doomed and expected to win playoff games or be fired this year, then why even keep him in the beginning of the season? It doesn't make sense. Ryan will return.

#418 Barcs, Dec 23, 2013
  19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why do neither belong on that list- because your emotions for Rex said so? Both have been through offensive rebuilds and have developed QBs. Idzik has ties with Bevell since he's from Seattle. It certainly makes sense. Bevell interviewed for the Bears position last year, so clearly he isnt limiting himself to just the OC of Seattle.

Also, a person that should be greatly considered is Bill O'Brien. Id personally love him. David Shaw is another college coach deserving of a look.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

No one actually believed the Jets were the 32nd ranked team. That was done by ESPN solely to stir shit up, and you know it. Just look at the predictions here. They range from about 5-11 to 10-6. I dont think there were many who truly believed we would get less than 4 wins.

You also know the reason to why Rex was here this season- Woody. The GM had no control over that, and that was made clear when hiring a GM began. Stop asking stupid rhetorical questions that you know the answer to.