What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at the results of this poll. But I still don't agree with it. Rex seems to be trying his best to get support and the sympathy of the players, the media and maybe even management. But you have to look at the kind of team this has been this season, coaching matchups (after how many games did Rex even say he was out coached--totally agree on that), preparation, scheme, etc. You can't go crazy over one win against a team who lost their last five games and is playing worse football than the Jets. On Sunday that's the kind of game you expected to see the Jets play all season long. Instead the team has laid an egg regularly playing poorly more often than not. So can Rex really motivate this team: the past two seasons they've lost their last 3 games. This season we'll see on Sunday. Even though I'm hoping we win (and knock Miami out of the playoffs) the entire past three seasons tells me (even though we've gotten higher round draft picks and some of them pretty good players) the team has to go in a different direction. And I didn't even mention the Mark Sanchez gives us our best chance to win quotes esp when he obviously didn't.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's only amazing if you ignore the opposition we actually play every week in the NFL and consider their talent and injuries.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Because that's how life is when you're a depressed bipolar Jets fan standing on the ledge. Every close win is luck. Every close loss is because the Jets suck and collapsed!! We almost won in week 2, which would have changed quite a bit.

If you want to talk about luck, look at the Patriots. They won games at the last second all year, but nobody's calling it luck. Hypocrisy.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So you expected us to beat the Falcons, Patriots and Saints?

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The TB and NE games would've been losses if not for completely boneheaded unforced penalties, it is what it is. There are not very many complete teams in the NFL this year and the Jets are firmly entrenched in the mediocrity at the bottom of the league, who cares if they finish 7-9 or 5-11 based on a couple breaks they got? What is that supposed to tell anyone about the team or the coach?

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I expected to beat the Pats once. Did you expect the falcons to actually suck? Do you know the Saints have a losing record on the road this year? Did you know their best WR was out against us and their TE was limited?

I expect in the NFL that mediocre teams have a chance to win 8 to 10 games every year. Bad teams in the NFL routinely win 6 to 8 games every year. The NFL is designed that way.

Did you expected us to lose against the Dolphins at home and get crushed by the Bills coming off a bye?

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The Jets really haven't had many close losses this year, most of their losses they've gotten their doors blown off. As far as the Patriots, they've got one of the best QBs ever who's probably the difference between them winning 4 games or now possibly being the #1 seed going into the last week of the regular season.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

More importantly, what does a post like this say about the fans? Lots of teams win close games all year, but you don't hear anyone saying its all luck. We should have won week 2 against NE. Mediocrity at the bottom of the league? Maybe you should learn what those 2 terms mean. You can't be mediocre AND at the bottom of the league. The Jets could be 8-7 right now if Gates didn't drop that TD in week 2.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Graham was limited against us? He played most snaps and did a great job. I think he had like 2 TDs.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cherry picking stats without understanding the FACTS behind those stats is meaningless, but as usual you misguidedly focus on the wrong thing. Those 4 playoff wins were achieved with a team that Mangini helped assemble that included quite a few veteran leaders with high character. It also had some young role players that Rex released or made no effort to re-sign when they became FAs (Wallace Wright, James Ihedigbo, & Drew Coleman) who were faster, better STs players than those presently on the team, and in the case of the latter two excellent blitzers who could get to the QB. Ihedigbo has developed into a solid SS in Baltimore. If Rex is so great at developing players, getting the best out of them and recognizing D talent, how did he miss so badly on Ihedigbo?

The teams that Rex has helped assemble stripped away a number of those players with high character, and some retired, but the players that he replaced those players with were not leaders and had lesser character (think Holmes, Plax). He also opted for Holmes over Bray when Bray was a more complete player, had dropped fewer passes than Holmes, and Bray had made a ton of big plays for the Jets. He was also a fiery leader on the field. Bray was willing to stay at a discount. He wanted to be a Jet. Granted, Bray got injured and his play tailed off precipitously in SF (I think), but who's to say that he would have gotten injured and his play fallen off so had he remained a Jet. We know for certain that Holmes play certainly fell off once he got the big contract and that he has been a bit of a cancer and headache and anything but a "captain" and leader. Rex's decision to make Holmes a captain, and then when Holmes "spit the bit", Rex's decision to do away with captains shows how dumb Rex is and how poor his judgment is.

Also, players coaches always enjoy a bump for a season or two when they first go to a team that has had a strict/repressive disciplinarian HC. Following that, things start going downhill. That is exactly what has happened here. The facts are there to be seen, you and other fans who are so in love with Rex just don't want to see and accept those facts.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yes he was limited with a foot and elbow injury.

12. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Some of the responses in this thread are astounding.

Name a Jets coach in the last 25 years that has enjoyed as much success as Rex. AND done it without a true #1 QB. I'll wait.

Rex gets a multi-year extension. In fact, I'd be surprised if the deal isn't already done.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Exactly. They have a HOF QB and we have a rookie. That doesn't mean every late flag is luck, they were legitimate penalties. People seem to think that games are defined by the last 2 minutes only. That's completely false. The game is a sum of its parts. You think the penalty against TB was the ONLY play that made that game? Funny you don't cite the flags that helped TB score on that last drive to even make it close, but only the 1 flag near the end. They ALL matter and contribute to the final score. Thinking entire games are defined by 1 play is a fallacy.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Unlike Rex apologists, I think he is in large measure responsible for the roster. In particular Tanny as a lawyer had little direct involvement in picking players.

Be tired all you want, but I will say it again - either Rex has input, or if he doesn't, why not? Is it because no one thinks he's good at evaluating offensive personnel?

Yuo can't have it both ways.

15. Big Blocker

Heh. I was going to say you can't be serious, but you probably are.

At this rate it will take four years to get to 11 wins, assuming the Jets beat Miami and there are no slip ups. Jussayin...

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Um, didn't he score 2 TDs? Get outta here.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what about the ticky tack OPI they called on Hill on the TD against NE? if they don't call that then we don't need OT. The jets made plays to win.

Oh so injuries count for other teams but not for us. I love the excuses:rofl:

oh the great GM and franchise builder Eric mangini:rofl:

tell me how many playoff wins Cleveland has w/ Mangini players? he's such a great builder of teams so they must have had similar success, right?

You do know rex isn't the GM, right? he may have a say but he's not responsible for signing and allowing players to leave.

You know Braylon was considered one of those character risks, right? so it's funny to hear you bash releasing Braylon(I love Braylon by the way) when Braylon has done NOTHING since leaving the Jets and was a character risk.

Braylon was not willing to stay at a discount in 2011. he was in 2012 after no ne else wanted him.

Was Mangini a players coach? we experienced a bump w/ him then things went downhill.

Please stop embarrassing yourself any further.

18. Big Blocker

Sproles also left the game after like the first series.

19. nyjunc

he was busy watching his giants.

20. nyjunc

awesome, it doesn't count that Holmes and Cumberland were out for us and that we lost Kerley in the game?