What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Have you ever been tested for schizophrenia?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

please explain

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love TGG! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, guys! Great debating Jets football with everyone. Very fun.

4. nyjunc

of HCs who have coached the Jets for at least 4 or more years, only Rex Ryan has a winning record.

add that to most playoff wins, most title game apps and it's clear why Jet fans would want to get rid of him.

5. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Rex is consistently inconsistent as an HC. He has won over 10 games exactly once in his tenure. He has had 5 years to make it happen, he has had input on players and full control of the team. Rex is a guy who constantly needs his back against the wall to preform. He runs hot and cold and so does his team. I'd love to have him as a DC but he is not my pick for HC.

6. nyjunc

the Jets have been around for 54 seasons now(will be after week 17 game).

rex has 1 season over 10 wins in 5 years(20%)
    In 49 other seasons NYJ had 3 seasons w/ more than 10 wins(6%)

rex has 4 playoff wins in 5 seasons, average of .8 per season
    other 49 years? 8, average of .16 per season

res has 4 road playoff wins
    other 49 seasons? 3

Rex has 2 title game apps
    other 49 seasons? 3

7. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Keep keep keep

8. The Dark Knight

Those are all great stats for Rex, however they are also ALL about 2009 and 2010.

Proving even more that he has done nothing in 2011, 2012 and 2013 but fail. In fact, those 3 seasons make your percentage stats even worse for him.

I think people are judging the past 5 years a little too much these last couple weeks though. In my opinion, John Idzik has to only look at the future. How is Rex going to coach this team in 2014? Is he the best option? If so, he stays. If I have someone better in mind, I go after him. That easy.

9. nyjunc

That's ok but he still did it, right? and I believe his best coaching jobs came in 2012 and 2013 w/ the key injuries in '12 and the healthy talent we had in 2013.

10. The Dark Knight

His best coaching jobs were the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. 2009 Took down the Bengals, then had a perfect game plan to defeat the red-hot Chargers in SD. Put together a great game plan to beat Peyton and the Colts too, but just couldn't quite pull it off.

2010 he forced the Colts to run the ball, when they had to throw, the WR's could not step up for Peyton. Great strategy. Then the best game plan (and best game) I've watched as a Jets fan: Rex taking down Belichick and the Patriots in New England. Despite the close score, the Jets dominated. Very impressive. I am not sure the Steelers game plan was so bad either, but they just came out flat as a team. Not sure what else Rex could do. They didn't quit though, scoring 19 unanswered to end the season.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not only are they ALL about '09 and '10.. they speak more about the history of this franchise ,than it's current state of affairs - which means NOTHING.

So this franchise has been a joke for much of it's existence? So what.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I really don't know why so many Rex fans here seem comfortable with that consistent inconsistency.

Of course excuses are also made, my favorite being that Rex has no control over the roster. Like i suppose it was John Idzik's idea to go get Ed Reed and make him an instant starter. (Now I agree not all the roster moves are Rex's - I am near certain he did not want to trade Revis, for example. But no real input???)

Then there's the pattern of following wins with embarassing losses that lead to Rex saying we need to bounce back, to maybe giving the devil his due the team actually responding with a win. But then what? Why the embarassing losses after the wins?

The Jets STILL have yet to win two games in a row. That doesn't bother Rex's supporters? Don't they think he might have something to do with that oft repeated pattern?

Then there's the excuse about him getting the most out of a bad roster. Let's get beneath the surface veneer on this one. First of all many who offered negative takes on the roster, and the projected finishes of 6 wins or less, even less than four, were made before we knew a few things, such as:

Atlanta sucking. I definitely had this one down as a loss - Atlanta a playoff team last year, playing at home where they rarely lost. But they were beat up when the jets played them, and have looked like shit ever since.

NO being a crap road team. Hey, that was a great win. But the Saints I had down as another loss, and who knew those guys would be SO bad on the road this year? They lost to St. Louis, too.

Even TB on Opening Day went down differently than many predicted. TB was AWFUL in the first half of the season, and only recently have won some games after getting rid of their starting Qb and some other big moves. Who knew in pre-season?

Splitting with NE. NE looked pretty good yesterday, but they have been rather inconsistent, partly due to injuries, partly due to some aging on the OL, to an inconsistent wideout corps, and to being prone to giving up lots of yardage on D. (But doing better on points.) NE did not look sharp in losing at the Meadowlands.

But it was not all surprising weakness in opponents.

Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrison. Even Rex's most ardent defenders cannot deny that these two are playing surprisingly well, and that such great play was not part of their crystal ball predictions, either. Add in Wilkerson's continuing great improvement, and even more solid play from Ellis and Douzable, and the DL has been stellar.

Harris and Pace. Since the lb's last year were below average, the only hope I had was that Coples and Davis would add speed and youth with increased play from both. But who knew Harris and Pace would both play better?

Willie Colon. I did not count on Colon staying healthy all season. If he was out, the Jets would have been starting Winters and Ducasse for whatever games Willie missed - an ugly thought. His avoiding injury has been huge, even if he commits too many penalties.

Ivory. I don't know if anyone was counting on Goodson making a big contribution here, so his absence imo is pretty much a non-factor. But Ivory has been a very pleasant surprise, and bringing him to the Jets I think was Idzik's best move of the off season.

Salas, Nelson and Sudfield. Other key moves by Idzik were getting these guys to fill in - some nice in season work by the GM that helped fill the holes in mid season. Sure you can say no one expected Kerley to be out as much as he was, so the need to fill holes was perhaps not anticipated. But the point is that the Jets were seen as having a weak bench going into the season, particularly at receiver, and Idzik did pretty well here.

No Sanchez v. Smith controversy. I wouldn't say that Sanchez would have played worse than Smith if he was healthy. But there would have been controversy surrounding the Jets if he was healthy, and played the way he did last year. Yes Smith did not play better than Sanchez last year, but tehre was no controversy, and the team stayed united on this subject.

What is the thing that all of the foregoing have in common? Well, two things. One is that they were all factors in the Jets doing better than they would have otherwise.

The second is that Rex cannot take credit for any of them (Now I know that Rex can take credit for some of the improved play of the DL, but imo it has mostly been about talent. And yes Rex can take credit for encouraging the Richardson pick, and probably even keeping Pace on the roster. But those moves and especially the Rirchardson pick are part of an overall mixed bag for Rex, since his emphasis on using high picks on D has cost the O).

So that's why the Jets being 7-8 is not an occasion imo to put Rex in a better light than he would have been otherwise.

13. nyjunc

I disagree, we have had 3-4 win talent the last 2 years and won 6 and 7(so far). he has done an incredible job the last 2 years, not many coaches would have won as many games.

14. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Let him stay

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Emphasis on 09 and 10 also ignores that the Jets have been getting worse since then, under Rex's leadership. The trend is down, and that is not a good thing.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

There are a boatload of teams with 3-4 win talent this year, especially with all the QB injuries. The Jets have gotten a few bounces and breaks here and there that have given them a couple extra wins but that's not anything meaningful or anything to build on, it's just luck.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That reasoning is terrible. I mean who really thinks like that? Drama queens? Any player that acts like that isn't worth being on the team in the first place.

I'm not even sure what you're expecting here? Please explain how Rex Ryan can turn an offensive player into a star? He's not the QB coach, he's not the OC. It's not his job to develop offensive talent. Like I said, he's had bad luck with QBs. If we even have a mediocre QB instead of Sanchez those 4 years, we likely make playoffs every year. Developing offensive talent is not the HC's job. That why there are tons of other coaches. Better QB play elevates the players around the QB. THAT will turn people into stars if anything.

#357 Barcs, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Has Rex regressed as a coach?

...or has the roster?

I find it hard to believe that he just lost his ability to coach at a very high level. Did he just forget? That's silly to me.

When given an offense that can AT LEAST do one phase of the game well, combined with his defense, he has already proven he can get us far In the playoffs.

You ever think that he might just be exceeding expectations the past three years, considering the state of these horrific and pathetic offenses he's even dealt. You don't even consider it possible that we could've had a lot less wins with this roster and another coaching staff at the helm?

..and I'm tired of hearing about how much of an "excuse" the roster argument is. It's a fact, there is no arguing that, the offense had been God awful the past three seasons.

Rex absolutely has input on players and whether or not Rex feels those players can help this team. To say he has a big say is a hard pill for me to swallow. That is not his job title, he was not brought in like a Marty S. (HC, GM). He coaches, and the players that come in and out should not be Rex's job, if he is being given that task then shame on MIKE T AND IDZIK. That is on them, you can't hold Rex responsible for that. It just doesn't make any damn sense.

19. nyjunc

how come every time we win it's luck?

how was going from 6 wins to 7 including beating playoff bound NO and NE getting worse?

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

7-8 > 6-10, therefor the trend is going back up. If we finish 8-8, that is amazing considering the talent we have and injuries we've had to deal with.