Jay Glazer: Rex Believes He's Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Dec 22, 2013.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent point. After last season I thought Rex should be hired and would have loved to have seen Bruce Arians hired. Look at the job he has done with the Cards. Holding onto Rex another year cost them a shot at Arians, an offensive guru who is excellent at developing QBs. If they hold onto Rex for another year, they will unbdoubtedly miss out on other excellent candidates.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Definitely more than the next coach who hasn't been hired yet.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It absolutely is, considering what Rex had to work with on offense.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

The bolded are exact reasons to what Rex should be held accountable for. You describe him like a defensive coordinator. He is the coach of the offense, defense and special teams. He is responsible for the play of all phases, not just the defense. Sporano was Ryan's guy, Sanchez's development is partly on Rex. The talent level of the offense is also partly on Rex.

And are you confident that Rex can lead this team through an offensive rebuild? Why would he push to rebuild the offense while the defense could still use players at OLB, CB and S?

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Ummmmmmm Rex is under contract for next year...

6. NCJetsfan

Landry and Knoll were a different era not recent coaches. I hated the Cowboys (and still do), but Landry is 100x smarter than Rex and was a great HC, not just a DC posing as a HC.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You think? I'm not so sure.

The new guy is going to want some pull in the talent department on his way in the door. He's going to have specific things in mind for the offense and the defense that may require shifting the assumptions the organization is working under at the moment.

Rex on the other hand has already had a big hand in putting together the roster on the defensive side. He's not likely to have all that much input in a draft where the Jets are going to be picking maybe 7 or 8 guys on the offensive side of the ball. He's probably going to have a lot of input on the safety or OLB the Jets are likely to pick at some point.

If Idzik wants to build the team more towards his own vision, particularly on the offensive side, it probably pays to have Rex on board for next season.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Stop this so called "making sense". We dont want it here. Rex should be kept just to be kept even though he wont be in the longterm picture.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Rex stays on board and our first pick is a DL or a CB I might set myself on fire.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

So basically you are saying that the Jets are going to be picking 7-8 offensive players, yet they shouldnt bring in the next coach (who we are going to assume is an offensive minded coach) and let him assemble HIS offense? Makes sense.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

More name calling. Great. I'm sure that helps your argument. My references here began in response to your claim that Ryan had a total "disregard" for the offense, not that the offense was bad. As I stated before, for anyone to claim any NFL coach can have a disregard for offense flies in the face of the fact that any coach understands that the team with the most points wins. We agree that Smith is a work in progress; I would submit that Milliner is also. To believe that the head coach is personally responsible for their presence on the team, their growth or their failures is preposterous.

This team is thin; very thin in key places but Ryan doesn't bear that burden. We haven't seen him cut players who end up starring elsewhere. How much input he has into player selection is purely conjecture at this point. Another year or two could create a much clearer picture of the Jets future; getting rid of him now just dumps the personnel problems on someone else, possibly someone the players will respond to as they did Mangini.

Your quote from earlier this season - in YOUR words, undistorted and unedited - just shows how so many posters here are so inconsistent and impatient.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Id agree with this,I feel like we are about to turn the corner next season,The bigger decison in my eyes is whether or not we think Geno is our guy.And if we think he is then build around him with all resources available.And i also think if Idzik has it in his head already that " Genos Gonna Be His Guy" then why fire Rex?New coach= New Staff and New System for a second year QB to learn

13. Br4d

If Rex is fired and our first pick is a DL or CB, because the new coach is planning to use a different defensive scheme would you still set yourself on fire?

I think the Jets are more likely to take a defensive player up top with a new head coach than with Rex.

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Don't bring logic into this. Let's just try to swing the scales a little worse than 75/25, where it ought to be.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Could you expand on this thinking a bit? Don't the Jets really play a mix of everything on their defense so everyone can play in either a traditional 3-4 or 4-3?

16. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

No extension needed my friend, he's under contract next year.

17. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

As i said, I wasn't comparing Rex to Landry, I was debating the OP's contention that coaches win the SB within 5 years or they should get out, with two pretty strong examples.

Landry was smarter than Rex, but he was smarter than just about every other coach in history too.

But as far a Rex is concerned, are you saying that Rex must go and whoever replaces him is bound to be better? Because I think its a big risk to Idzik to can Rex. Rex is going at least 7-9 with a team that was 6-10 last year and picked by some to be the worst team in the league. He beat two play-off teams. What happens if the next Jets coach doesn't do as well? Let's say Rex becomes HC of a team that make's the play-offs. Let'say the Jets don't. What happens then? Idzik would be run out of town, maybe rightly so.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I might just set myself on fire for the fun of it. If Rex is gone I guarantee we don't take either with our first pick.

19. Br4d

It makes sense if you don't want to start over from scratch next year on the offensive side of the ball while cobbling together a defense from Rex's leavings without his scheme in play.

I'm assuming that John Idzik has a master plan of how he wants to do the rebuild and that we've seen part of that in play already this year. If he has a coaching candidate that he's sure will agree with his plan then maybe bringing him in is the right move.

On the other hand if he wants to continue the Marty Mornhinweg/Geno/WCO and stock it more fully this time then keeping Rex and Marty around is a wise move. He's got 2015 as his mulligan if he needs to make a change and the relative assurance that 2014 will not turn into a disaster that puts him in hot water.

20. NCJetsfan

Regardless of who the HC is next season, if Idzik's first pick is a DL or CB he should be fired on the spot and not allowed to finish the draft.