What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Response Part 2

5. Idzik doesn't look like Tanny, but that doesn't mean he is the right man for the job. He wasn't the guy I wanted hired. I had never even heard of him before, and most of the media "experts" didn't have him as even a prospective interviewee, either. He has some scouting and personnel background, but not enough imo. The very reason we wound up with him is because Woody wouldn't allow Rex to be fired. Some of the men that I thought were better candidates removed their name from consideration once they learned that Rex couldn't be fired and that they wouldn't be given full control. Even with that the guy from SF who had more scouting and personnel experience still not only remained in contention, but wanted the job. He cancelled an interview with another team because he wanted the Jets job. Woody hired Idzik instead.

With all that said, I like the approach that Idzik brought to the team and he has given me some grounds for hope for the future. He eschewed the spotlight. He wanted the focus on the team rather than himself. That in and of itself was refreshing as Tanny always sought the spotlight. He has handled things in a thoughtful, deliberate, professional manner. That has also been refreshing and encouring. I think he did about as good a job as could be done with both cleaning up the cap and with FA. He missed on some of the FAs, but when you have little money to work with and a ton of holes, you're gonna have to roll the dice on some players who have had injury issues or other issues, but who have talent, and hope that things will work out. Not all of his moves have worked out. The key for me with Idzik will be what he does during this offseason. If Woody gives him free reign, will he fire Rex? If so, with whom will he replace Rex? Will he jettison Holmes, Sanchez, and perhaps Cro and some other dead wood? How will he use the cap space that he has/creates? How will he handle the draft? Will he address the offense? the FS position? the OL?

One thing is for certain that I think we all will agree with, this off season is not only going to be one of the most important in Jets' history, but it's also going to be very interesting.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Talent is talent, it doesn't really matter how you obtained it when looking at it in a vacuum. The O did have a lot of talent, not so much anymore. Rex managed to get not much more than a running game out of it.

Not exactly a great pro-Rex argument.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Counting FA signings as investing first or second round picks is a very silly argument. Perhaps we should bring back Sanchez, sign Ryan Leaf and David Carr so we have three first round picks invested at QB?

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Where they were drafted doesn't mean squat.
    The O did have talent, but would never be great regardless of the coach. Not all the high picks were good ones, while others were quite long in the tooth at that point.

This years D has only 4 returning starters, and that is including Pace's more limited role.
    Still has a good chance of finishing top 10. I don't think many coaches can turnover an entire unit, and still be one of the better defenses in the league, albeit not a great one by any stretch.
    I'd like to bolster that ailing secondary, and give the rest of the unit another year to grow together. I'd be amazed if they weren't better next year IF these coaches remain.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Where you are drafted doesn't really matter to me. Kyle Wilson is a 1st Round pick, clearly not a 1st round talent. Milliner is a 1st Round pick, has looked lost most of the year. Overall talent level: the Jets D is good, but has been much better is year's past with Rex. Pretty easy to see this too.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think you misunderstood. I didn't talk about it as investing anything. I was simply pointing out all the talent Rex has at his disposal.

The only guys from other teams in that list are Cro (1st), Pace (1st) and Jarret (2nd). I have to assume Rex wanted all those guys since their current contracts are under his watch. The rest were taken here and all but Harris were on Rex's watch.

I'm not so convinced that Rex wouldn't ruin whatever 1st round QB you wanted to bring in outside of maybe Peyton Manning.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So what are you saying, our defensive genius of head coach can't help point out good (or least fight against bad) defensive talent? I remember Rex RAAAAAAVING about the Kyle Wilson pick like he just drafted Deion Sanders. Maybe he's just not good at developing real talent? Should Dunbar maybe get more credit for the d-line?

#267 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  8. BacktoQueens

so if we still had Maybin, that would up your first rounder count?
    how about Jason Smith at OT? we should have been dominant on the line...he was a high first rounder after all.

it's a silly argument, you have to realize that.
    Pace and Jarrett's only shot at the NFL this year was Rex.
    on the flip side, Harrison was undrafted, and having a stellar year as a starter.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm sure if Rex wanted Maybin or Smith back he could have had them.

Harrison also has Karl Dunbar to coach him up.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Darrell Bevell
    Greg Roman
    Jay Gruden
    David Shaw

Those would be some names that I would look at. I wanted Trestman at OC last year, but he took the HC job with the Bears and looks to be an offensive genius. If we move on for Rex, the coaching hire HAS to be on the offensive side. Otherwise it would be pointless IMO, because Rex is a good defensive coach. Im sick of this pathetic excuse for an offense, and I want Idzik to have a HC with the same vision that he has (and if thats Rex, then so be it).

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Interesting argument against Rex, by LTJF, but I think he is going too far. Rex has done good with the D. This year he had less talent to work with and has done a decent job. Rex has many more flaws than his Defense though. That is his one strength. So if LTJF doesn't even think he is good at that, he must want him gone BIG TIME. Haha.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think he WAS great for our defense. His schemes used to create real pressure (and I'm not talking about just sacks) or make the opposing QB think pressure was coming when it wasn't. Perhaps more importantly, he created confusion in the secondary which when you put them together caused opposing QB's to generally have very little success against us.

The scheme isn't doing that anymore. Whether that be because opposing OC's have caught up to him or he doesn't have enough talent, I find him at least party responsible for both.

I think we DO have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I think we could have at least similar success on the defensive side with the same players and a different DC.

So for me, Rex isn't giving us enough of an advantage to continue to get NOTHING out of the offense. I also cringe when I think about rebuilding the offense with Rex as the head coach.

According to PFF, this is how our pass defense rank has gone:
    2009: 2nd
    2010: 3rd
    2011: 4th
    2012: 14th
    2013: 32nd

If he can't get the job done without Revis, we better find someone who can. Maybe Karl Dunbar has earned a promotion to DC?

#272 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Hmmm. Thats interesting. He would still no how to use the strength of our defense in the front 7 (which everyone is worried sick that if we lose Rex they will magically be untalented and suck).

Has he ever coached an entire defense before?

It seems like I am one of the few who agrees with you. I think you make a great point that the seemingly lessening advantage on the defensive side isnt worth the total shit product on the offensive side. And I do think that his schemes have gradually become less effective over the years.

14. BacktoQueens

you cannot ignore the personnel turnover on D.
    2009 is long gone. i believe only Harris and Pace remain from that squad 4 seasons ago.
    2014 is a rebuild, with only 4 returning starters. We managed to vastly improve the front 7 over the last 2 years. The secondary is still a work in progress. can't do it all in 1 year.

On top of the expected below avg Safety play, what really hurt the secondary was Milliner looking every bit the rookie, and Cro falling off a cliff (due to hip? i don't know, but his play is nowhere near his normal standard).

I'd like to see 2 new starters in the secondary, and more LB depth, for 2014. Other than that though, the rest of the core unit will remain in place and should only improve after they've got this full season together under their belts.

Dunbar has been a tremendous asset. I'd expect him to be gone if Rex was fired. In terms of him being a DC, he's a great teacher of technique, but i don't know if that carries to all positions, game planning, adjustments and schemes. I'd much rather have both Rex and Dunbar, along with Thurman.

15. section134

section134 Active Member

keep rex

we need qb and big upgrade on offense-----but who picks them

I don't know if sanchez had bad year in 2012 or geno had bad year in 2013 because of bad personel on offense or the qbs are ng

mm is a good oc but he cant work miracles with no wr----ol is starting to slip--------if rex picked geno without wr-----he made big mistake-----ariz did good with carson palmer-----matt cassel is finally doing well-----idzik has to go fa to get a better qb then what we have

all these points have to be answered before making the call

woody fired mangini after he lost last 4 of 5------so I expect rex to be fired if he loses last two games

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

A work in progress that Rex has built. Its funny hearing people complain about the safety position, and at the same time defend Rex. Allen is sitting on the bench while Reed continues to play. Only Harris and Pace remain, but since Rex has gotten here, FIVE 1st round picks, two 3rds and a 2nd have been invested in this defense. There has been turnover, but the players entering a high quality prospects.

Continually playing man coverage is on Rex

So while adding 2-3 new starters on the defensive side, we are also supposed to rebuild our offense? The thing that scares me is that Rex probably has the same thinking...

Rex started as a DLine coach, and then went to DC and succeeded. He's had great success both here and with the Vikings. Id certainly give him a shot.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you honestly think the 2009 defensive roster was way better than this year?

Revis is probably the biggest difference and we aren't getting a CB of his caliber back. Jenkins was a big force but he had a schlub on either side of him. Harrison is no where near Jenkins but Wilkerson and Richardson are much better than Ellis and Douglas were.

Rhodes was probably a better cover corner than anyone we have now but Rex is also likely the main reason he was sent packing.

The linebackers are probably a wash.

18. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

101 Gang -- Could not agree with you more, Last years draft was really good and this years draft has to be even better. We all know which way the Jets will be drafting no need to say it again. But just keep the team together to continue to build. Firing Rex would set everything back to square one. I for one don't want to start over again. Go Jets

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Last year's draft for the Jets was really good???

Milliner may prove out eventually, but right now at best he is a work in progress. It is not clear he will live up to his draft status, or even stick as the starting Cb.

Richardson is a great pick.

Smith is a huge question mark.

Winters has been struggling.

None of the others are worth much, although I suppose it is of some relevance that Bohanon gets playing time.

Hardly a great draft.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think our draft was great by any means, I didn't agree with a lot of the picks - but Millner has at least improved and Richardson is a stud.

Firing Rex, won't do any good - it will set back all of the players that have been drafted under this regime, especially a player like Coples. Rex is the best guy that can coach this team going forward. You get rid of Rex, the majority of the CS will go along with him meaning bye bye Dunbar, bye bye Marty.

The new CS will not keep any of these coaches and I don't think Woody is smart enough to know the impact of Dunbar on this defense.