Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsandcanes, Dec 17, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

don't confuse an inexperienced QB w/ few weapons that is taking sacks he shouldn't w/ poor OL play.

Dilfer and Johnson did play w/ great defenses, mark did not. Could you imagine the '00 Ravens or '02 Bucs Ds blowing a double digit lead in the championship game?

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that will be the excuse people make who support him if he goes somewhere else and fails.

3. nyjunc

If he fails somewhere else it won't change what he did for us.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Mark's defenses might not have been "great" but they were huge reasons why those teams got to where they were. If those defenses are average at best, we don't make the title games in either season.

Our guards are nowhere near as good this year as they were last year. Winters has been embarrassed in every matchup he's faced this year.

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So what type of QB do we want in our current "Rex System" is the real question? Historically, if you look at teams with a great defense the QB is handcuffed a tad to limit the time the defense is on the field. Field position and clock management are vitle to the success of the team. This is the Ryan way...

Now let's look at some "elite" QBs and their defenses... GB, Indy with Manning, Brady's defenses in NE, NO, Mia in the Marino years... The list goes on.

All I am saying is that the Jets currently have Rex freaking Ryan, a defensive minded head coach. This is the identity of the entire team. A focus will be on limiting turnovers ( something Geno and Nacho have struggled to do), a strong run game, powerful mauling o-line, great special teams, limiting pre-snap penalties, and wining the turnover and TOP game.

Mark has proven he can win with this formula, again the formula of his head coach. I think he was on his way this year to having a bounce back campaign, but we will never know. The defense is a CB, S, and OLB away from being elite. That's just part of the formula though. Special teams is a nightmare, and the o-line needs to be way more productive for the jets to win with Ryan and Geno/Mark.

If not, it truly is time to blow this thing up and search for a new identity, coach, and QB...

6. nyjunc

Absolutely our Ds were the #1 reason we made those title games but even truly great Ds won't win consistently in January w/o quality QB play which Mark gave us.

Winters is struggling, our entire OL struggled last year.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

And Peyton didn't try and run the clock out?

Turnovers aren't excuse able but there are 3 phases to the game. Each phases are there to lift each other up. If the D gives up points you hope your O can help you and vice versa.

Denver lost because Baltimore outplayed them. Not because of Peyton.

8. nyjunc

He tried and he failed just like he failed to run out the clock at SD 2008 and against us in 2010.

Denver lost b/c their best player played like their 20th best player. You think it is a coincidence that his teams always fail? the one constant is his mediocre play, he doesn't step up like a player as great as he is should step up. if he did he's have 3-4 SB titles by now instead of the 1 where his D did all the heavy lifting.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I'll always have good memories of our still youthful QB whether he stays or goes

[​IMG]

10. The 1985er

If football was a individual sport you'd be right.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He was on his way to a bounce back campaign based on what? As we saw in the preseason, he is still the same stiff we saw the past 4 years. What you say has no basis whatsoever on Sanchez. Sanchez proved he could win with the formula the first 2 years but then again, any QB would of put up the same or better numbers those first 2 years with the teams we had then. Sanchez was a bottom 5 QB both of those years and was so bad the team had to replace him last year with a QB not even in the league anymore. That says alot...

12. nyjunc

It's all coincidence he wins 70% of his reg season games and 45% of his postseason games.

It's a coincidence whether in Indy or Denver his teams disappoint in the biggest games. Pure coincidence.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's right.

It's not like the opposing teams in the playoffs are any good.

14. nyjunc

yep, he just happens to run into the greatest teams in any given year. Poor guy has the worst luck.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I never realized how shitty of a quarterback Peyton Manning is.

That Marino guy musta really sucked.

Sanchez is looking better and better all the time.

16. nyjunc

Marino never had elite talent around him, Peyton has had it since day 1 in this league. marino elevated mediocre/bad teams to postseason. peyton takes elite teams and holds them back from winning SBs.

Tim Tebow won a playoff game w/ a less talented Denver team than Manning had last year. Think about that.

17. The 1985er

Once again you'd be right if football was an individual sport.

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Sanchez passed the eye test for me this preseason. Haters will focus on the Detroit game, besides that game he looked very good to me. Maybe not to you, but to me. I would love to see how any fan thought he looked like a worse option than Geno in the pre-season.

"Any QB could have won in his first two years with the team Mark had"? I personally don't think Geno could have. You are making it seem like the 09 and 10 Jets were successful in spite of Mark; I say it was a very good TEAM effort. That's what this sport is again isn't it?

Fans like yourself seem to get caught up in the marketing efforts of the NFL. Waaaay too much focus is placed on the QB position IMO. The QB can't stay heathy without a serviceable O-line, run game, and receivers that make the defense respect them. The Jets currently lack in all these areas.

This makes the deficiencies of the both Geno and Mark highlighted in recent years. All good QB's and TEAMS for that matter need to play as a cohesive unit. The Jets surely do not play all three phases.

19. nyjunc

he plays the most important position in the sport, the position that determines wins and losses more often than not and when your team is built around a QB like him he is expected to play at a high level in big games which he has RARELY done. He couldn't even win a home game where he was given 14 pts by his STs.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that there's not a germ of psychological truth to what you're saying Junc.

There is something to be said for talented players that fold in big games.

Romo is the poster child for this...