What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

there are differences true, but the point was that its not an elite passing game thats lifting them to a #1 spot in the NFC. people act like thats all a team needs and thats a fallacy, that was my biggest point.

I feel like the conservative regression thats occurred since I guess sometime in October was due to a hurt set of already lackluster receivers (replaced by guys still learning the damn offense) along with a talented but raw rookie without a lot to lean on. with a more seasoned QB and better WR play MM probably opens up the pass more.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

BTW, if I'm understanding these stats correctly the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league in starting field position on both offense and defense. Whereas Seattle is in the top 5 on offense and top 10 in defense in starting field position.

This makes a huge difference.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

You could have the spirits of Weeb and Lombardi advising Sean Peyton as OC, Rex as DC, and Belicheck as HC and they will never win a championship until you have a QB.

Apparently our "savior" Geno wasn't the answer since he shit the bed worse than Suckchez did in his rookie year. We need to lose out, keep Rex and draft another QB.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The last I heard Rex (at least in theory) is supposed to coach the entire team. All three key components: O, D and STs. So if the O and STs don't function isn't it also a reflection on his ability to coach this team. And as far as talent: he's had fewer injuries this season than most teams. All of whom have to recruit sandlot players late in the season sometimes to start. It's the name of the game in the National Injury League. You have to deal with weaknesses in talent in certain areas and injuries. And he doesn't.

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

that just sounds like such a horrible idea to me... getting ANOTHER rookie QB I mean.

Their shit will stank too in one way or another, it'll just be the same thing all over again, picks because they haven't adjusted to the pro game, the works.

not saying we shouldn't ever draft a QB again, but not in the 1st round next year... we could at least give ourselves a young legit #1 WR that we're lined up for so that the next guy has something to lean on like most effective rookies have.

none of the guys we'll get will be much better than a sophomore Smith anyhow, we have our young prospect for the time being for better or worse, lets build a net of support for him and a new guy in 2015 should he falter.

young QB blues is the aliment, better weapons and offensive line is the solution, not ANOTHER young QB.

6. fozzi58

I'm pretty sure Bart Scott Retired this year.Derrick Mason retired after the Tenn trade from the Jets. Eric Smith is washing dishes at a bodega in Arizona.

There was another small skinny white guy that played on defense that Rex is "wat too loyal" to also... He should definitely be let go after this season.

/facepalm

Rex will be unemployed shorter than his brother (who claimed a half hour when Jerry cut him loose) if he gets the axe. He could show up in Jacksonville or Houston with the same roster as this year and win 3 more games. If you think he wouldn't get picked up by another team, you don't know what he does as a coach.

7. fozzi58

I don't disagree with you but we need to land a franchise QB. The Jets FO ruined Mark, and we are going to ruin Geno. This isn't a problem because of Rex's coaching - its a lack of talent at the most important position on a football team.

I'd say bring in Schaub if possible, restructure Suckchez, draft rookie QB, and let all 5 compete. The best vet gets to start, if Geno beats out the rookie, he sits behind winning vet or vice versa - 3rd best man is kept whether that's the rookie, or Mark or whomever.

There is no "suck for Luck" this year and the Texans and Redskins have the lead as do another 8~10 teams who will probably draft ahead of us. So taking a chance on another late 1st or early 2nd round QB isn't going to cripple the team financially.

8. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

I would give Rex a 1 year extension through 2015. Next year have it be make or break for him.

All things considered he's done a decent job this season.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we could have won a SB in 2009 or 2010 if our D stepped up.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

More often than not (60% of his head coaching career) and the last 3 straight seasons Rex Ryan has not had a winning record or made the playoffs. His defense has become consistently worse and he still doesn't have a clue about the offensive side of the ball relative to other NFL head coaches.

Up through and including his 5th season Rex has demonstrated poor clock management, overly conservative play on the offensive side of the ball and poor use of challenges.

Perhaps most importantly, we need to completely rebuild the offense and Rex is 100% not the person I want leading the team during that effort. This would be the worst mistake the team could make IMO.

11. nyjunc

The D has not become consistently worse, this year has been better than last year and we have a young, dynamic DL that will only make this D better in the coming years.

watch any game and you will see clock mgmt. mistakes, show me one that cost us a game?

Jet fans just want a new coach every few years, thee same things will be said about the next guy in 3 years. That is exactly why we don't win big consistently. The good franchises have stability.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Rex is signed through the end of 2014. So if he's fired Woody has to pay him for '14. And you know he doesn't want to do that. But he might and just not sign him to an extension. Which would make him a true lame duck. Can't say he doesn't deserve it. But if me I'd let him go at the end of this season and find another coach. As for the rumors on Rex going to Wash. I haven't seen those and I wonder where they're coming from. IMO that's easy. Right from the horse's mouth, Rex that is.

13. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This isn't true at all. In fact, the Jets this year have had the 3rd most season-ending injuries in the league.

Team IR PUP
    Buccaneers 14 0
    Colts 12 0
    Jets 12 0
    Redskins 11 2
    Packers 11 1
    Cardinals 9 1
    Bengals 8 2
    Saints 8 1
    Browns 8 0
    Texans 8 0
    Falcons 7 0
    Bills 7 0
    Panthers 7 0
    Patriots 7 0
    Chargers 7 0
    Cowboys 6 0
    Broncos 6 0
    Jaguars 6 0
    Giants 6 0
    Raiders 6 0
    Eagles 6 0
    49ers 6 0
    Bears 5 0
    Lions 5 0
    Seahawks 5 2
    Steelers 5 1
    Titans 5 1
    Rams 5 0
    Vikings 4 0
    Ravens 3 0
    Dolphins 3 0
    Chiefs 1 0

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, the defense has been much better than last year. I agree with everything you said, this year Rex has done his best coaching job with crappy talent other then at the defensive line position.

Peoples' expectations went wild after that Saints game. Now the same people are turning on Rex.

Rex isn't perfect, but there is no such thing as a perfect HC in this league.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To add - the only coach I would fire Rex for is David Shaw, and he's not coming to the NFL.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Willie likes Rex because he's funny and leaves him (and the offense) alone. And you see the results. Inconsistent line play and dumb penalties (esp on Willie a veteran who should know better). Again I though Rex was supposed to be the coach of the entire team. And not leave anyone alone. And if things get a little too complacent make those players accountable. So no comfort zone for the offensive line. And that's Rex's job.

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Pro:
    Won playoff games with the worst QB in the league

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The d-line is great, and great at stuffing the run. The defense as a whole blows. Go watch some games from 2009 and compare them to this year. Night and day.

Stability at HC is earned with winning. Outside of Bill Cowher, who had a much better first 5 years than Rex, tell me about all the BIG WINS that came as a result of "stability". Coaches who don't win don't stick around.

Jets fans have NOTHING to do with why the team doesn't win big and suggesting fans are the reason the Jets don't win big is completely moronic and illogical. I'm not surprised, BTW, that you would post moronic and illogical comments. That's pretty much your forte.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

As often as Rex irks me (especially this season), giving his status rational thinking, the talent needs to be addressed come the off-season quicker than HC.

20. nyjunc

but you didn't say 2009 vs. 2013, you said they were getting worse every year(or something close). we lost the best defensive player in the sport this offseason and yet still got better we have probably been since 2010 defensively.

Woody listens to moronic Jet fans(like those that say our D has gotten worse every year and want to fire Rex). Great organizations don't do that, fans will ALWAYS want a new QB, new HC, new GM, etc... it is what typical nitwit fans do. You cannot make decisions based on a fanbase(especially one as bad as ours).

Imagine if Pitt fired Cowher? NYG Coughlin? NE BB?(like was rumored before Brady rescued his career and that franchise), etc...