What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There are a lot of factors to go into this decision. No doubt about it. The Ravens OFFICIALLY eliminated the Jets on Monday Night, so it is time to look to 2014. Hopefully the Jets are able to defeat the Browns and upset the Dolphins to finish at (8-8), but there is not much difference to me. Missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs. And now it is for a 3rd straight season under Rex. No doubt, none of those 3 failed seasons fall on Rex alone. Not even close.

Many thought Rex was doomed before the 2013 season began, but instead the Jets played respectable football for awhile, even though they started a 2nd Round rookie QB who was not AT ALL ready to play in the NFL. Why did that happen though? Because Rex inserted his starting QB into the 4th Quarter of a worthless preseason game, allowing him to get injured and out for the season. An inexcusable mistake, that I would have fired him on the spot for. Rex has actually done pretty well in 2013. Lack of talent was going to hold the team back no matter what. Rex still has done enough wrong to deserve being fired though.

What are your thoughts on Rex? Keep Him or Fire Him?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He should go. I've looked at his pluses and minuses during each of the last five years, and I think his minuses outweigh his pluses. Bye-Bye, Rex.

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I don't really get why anyone would want him fired. He's a top 10 coach in the NFL and the best coach the Jets have had in years. Yes the last 3 years have not gone as well as we would have liked, but he had to deal with the worst QB play in the NFL over that stretch. Nobody could've been a playoff team with the way Sanchez and Geno played and the lack of offensive talent around them. With a reasonable level of talent like he had his first two seasons, Rex has shown he could be successful.

Has he been perfect? No, definitely not. But he's done a better job than most coaches would've.

4. The Dark Knight

I think that is completely fair. If Rex had a better roster in 2013 and they were (6-8), no doubt he would be fired with no debate. The debate comes from the fact that the team is so young and played decent this year, with the lowest of expectations headed into the season. I'm on the fence, but decided I would give Rex one more season to see what he could do. I can only assume the roster will be improved in 2014.

5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I want him here for the long term. I would be happy if Jets decide to only extend him for 1-2 years and give him one more "chance" to build a winner. If team still stinks in 1-2 years, then maybe he isn't right for the job.

From what I've seen, he is best Jets coach in a long time and should be allowed to stay.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is the stuff that drives me up the wall. A stance with no basis in reality.

Rex is a top 10 coach? Says who? or how do you come to that conclusion?

And to you last point - you don't find Rex Ryan responsible at all for the lack of offensive talent? you don't think his coaching has ANYTHING to do with the way Sanchez and Geno smith have looked?

What other coaches would you say that about? In Houston, they didn't say about Gary Kubiak - He's a good coach. Nobody would've won this year with the way Matt Schaub played. Kubiak, like every other coach, was held responsible for the way his players played. But Rex shouldn't be?

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I think he should stay, provided that Idzik is satisfied with him, AND under the condition that he (Rex) starts devoting resources and his own self to the Offense.

We need continuity here, and without seeing a list of candidates, I'm not so sure that there's someone better out there, at the moment, anyway.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

once we fire him the cycle will continue, it is why we will never be a top franchise.

9. nyjunc

Houston had MUCH more talent than we ever had in the rex era yet they have 2 home WC playoff wins and he's coached longer.

rex is definitely a top 10 coach, not many could have won as many as 6 games last year or this year w/ the healthy talent on O. he has done a spectacular job.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

A lot of teams have fired bad coaches and gone on to be successful.

11. The Dark Knight

Rex Ryan:

Positives:
    -Top Defense year in, year out.
    -Fun Coach to play for and watch as a fan.
    -Loves the Jets, wants to make them a Champion.
    -Won 4 Playoff Games, the most in Jets History for a Head Coach.

Negatives:
    -Missed the Playoffs 3 straight seasons.
    -Focuses solely on defense, seems to know nothing about Offense, nor a care to.
    -Tries to play old school football, in a new school era of offense.
    -Too loyal to some players who don't deserve to be on the field.
    -Makes terrible in-game, coaching decisions at times.

Positive/Negative:
    -Record vs. Patriots: (4-7). It is kind of 50/50 because obviously 4-7 is not a great record, but 4 wins against Bellichick is actually impressive.

Am I missing anything?

#11 The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  12. Petey

Petey Active Member

The way the team is currently constructed, it makes the most sense to keep Rex as the head coach. The strength is in the d-line and I expect the rest of the defense to get even better next year as guys like Quinton Coples and Dee Milliner continue to improve with experience.

The offense is a mess, we know this, but how much of it is really on Rex? Rex doesn't pick the players (or at least doesn't have the same influence on draft day as he used to). I don't really think an offensive minded head coach would be able to get the offense to produce much better than it has this year. Or last year for that matter.

If it were up to me, I'd bring back Rex. The players play hard for him and he's gotten better results in the last two seasons than most coaches would have given the supporting cast. The Jets may or may not have a QB and they certainly lack playmakers, but just switching Rex really doesn't fix that.

13. nyjunc

sure but we have a really good coach not a bad one.

14. 518

518 Member

BOOM. I would like to see any coach in the NFL perform without a solid offense, which includes a QB with some legit receivers who can not only get open but make a play. Geno Smith is a rookie with a mediocre offensive line.The wide receiving core is garbage with the exception of Kerley who should be a number 3 in a decent offense. Getting rid of Rex does not make these players better. Get some talent through this upcoming draft and pray Geno, Milliner and the 3 O-linemen he drafted get better as time goes on.

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

Rex thinks you can win games with defense. It is a fatal flaw. It shows that he doesn't understand the modern NFL.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1) we don't have a bad coach. quite the opposite really.
    2) a lot of teams routinely fire their coaches, and routinely pick in the top 10 of the draft.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that Rex is winning this poll. I know his players have stated they want him back and that Willie Colon even said it would stunt the growth of the team if he is fired but what do they know anyways. They like the guy because he's funny and basically leaves them alone. And plays an aggresive style defense which they love (but don't know how to play in). This could be three straight years maybe losing their last three games. Plus three straight years not making the playoffs. You have to think the first two years (one when they backed into the playoffs when even Rex had said they couldn't make it) was the aberration. So Rex is here five seasons and doesn't make the playoffs 3 out of the five years. Five seasons is a big chunk and a great chance to prove himself. He didn't.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

So you think Willie Colon, an OG, loves Rex because he's funny and plays aggressive style defense?
    could you be any more clueless?

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm happy of the pairing of Rex Ryan with Marty Mornhinweg. I think that Mornhinweg is as good a coach as you could hope for to develop a QB / offense, and that one year between Idzik and Mornhinweg, along with Rex's sometimes underrated defense, is not enough to judge what this product could become.

I say keep the team together, make a stronger effort to build up the offensive side of the ball, and see what these guys can do with a roster that isn't near the bottom of the NFL in playmakers.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree - to fire Rex because we didn't make the playoffs is complete bullshit. Seems the people that want Rex fired had high expectations for some reason.

Build the roster, let Rex and MM continue to coach the players. We do need a new Wide Receivers / linebackers coach though.

Firing Rex would only set the franchise back about 3 or 4 more years.