The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yep...I remember when Junc said that. Wonder if he'll revise that opinion.

Cutler on the Jets would be like pouring gasoline on powdered chlorine.

It would blow up...you just wouldn't know when.

2. a1032bc

a1032bc New Member

I agree, one more year at least.

here is a crazy stat (granted not scientific at all).... for the past 3 years, the Jets have been the last team to have a player drafted in fantasy football drafts.

Even the Cards had L. Fitzgerald, the Jags have MJD.

Lets actually have a WR or RB or TE that opposing defenses have to plan for.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

why hasn't Rivers been able to get to the playoffs in the weak AFC West the past 3 years? Rivers has ONE title game app in a game he left where SD was losing and the backup came in and led them to the GW TD. #s alone do not impress me.

yes, any competent QB we would have 2-3 more wins but we wouldn't be doing anything special w/ Rivers.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno's shown me that he's just what they said he was in training camp: a project with plenty of talent whose not ready to be an NFL starter. But talented enough to keep around. So I wouldn't draft another project like a Bridgewater who might have the same growing pains. Plus you've invested time and money in Geno who has shown enough to keep around. Can he be the eventual starter: the answer is probably yes. But does he give us our best chance to win in 2014. Probably no. He'll get plenty of chances in training camp no matter who the coaching staff is going to be. So to me bring in an established veteran, maybe not a super expensive guy like Cutler but someone like a Hasselbeck who knows how to play, can manage a game and not lose games for the team. And please no no no to Mark Sanchez. Just go forward not backwards. He'll get his chances with another team and all the Sanchize fans who love him more than winning can follow him to his new destination. That is if he makes the team. Mark had more chances than any player in the history of the NFL. Over 60 starts and what did we get: horrendous play from him.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What's so talented about Geno?

6. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

He can make the throws that most good Qbs can although his deep ball accuracy is off (I think he has a hitch that screws him up). But he can't read a defense yet or adjust protection to protect against blitzes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

7. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

i think he's honestly getting better at the latter two things, just not at a good enough level yet.

hell that sums up Smith perfectly to me, he just not at a good enough level yet.
    I'm glad he's gotten the season to himself regardless of that, despite some feeling that sanchez would have come in and lifted us to postseason glory he... frankly wasn't much better than how Smtih is playing now if I recall correctly. the experience is invaluable.

he shows flashes but lacks consistency. Genocoaster gonna GenoCoaster, he'll make a brilliant throw, a cool ass run, and then through a pick into heavy coverage.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What exactly are those throws? Forgive me as I'm not trying to be a dick. Just trying to figure out what makes him so "talented".

9. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Can someone explain why we haven't taken any vertical bombs the past 6 games???

Every mediocre qb has that in his aresenal,(HOF game managers like Brady, brees, manning don't use/need this as much).

I swear we've thrown the ball 25+ yards like 3 times in the past 6 games.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

To whom would you like those bombs to be thrown? Nobody's home.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It's not just his deep ball passes that lack accuracy. His intermediate and short passes often miss the mark as well. he has no comand of the offense. He can't read defenses. Doesn't pay well in bad weather. And I question his mental toughness.

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

this is spot on.

i really am struggling to see why geno should be penciled in as the number 1 next season. he has shown flashes, but very few flashes, misses wide open receivers when making his progressions, and has very little touch. hes either gunning the ball in there or throwing an awful pass. his footwork is atrocious. and once again, he really cant read a defense. this isnt like 2011 where the line just couldnt hold up for more than 2 seconds, there are free rushers coming in almost every play it seems, and genos pocket awareness and internal clock are shit.

this has nothing to do with sanchez. if sanchez was cut right now, someone else still needs to be picked up in case geno doesnt take these gargantuan leaps everyone seems to be hoping for.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Funny, this was all said before we even drafted him. We criticized Geno Smith for these exact same reasons.

Jets drafted him anyway - I really wish I knew what the Jets saw in him

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm afraid Leonidas would be overmatched Commanding the Jets O into battle.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater is not a "project", he is a much much better prospect than Geno. You expend effort on guys like Bridgewater getting him over his growing pains because the ceiling is so high.

No, you haven't invested any money in Geno, this isn't a first round pick pre-rookie salary cap, as a second rounder his money is almost irrelevant. In fact it's quite reasonable back-up money if you find a better number 1.

And spending MORE time on him would be wasting time if the FO and coaching staff doesn't think he has what it takes or someone could be better.

Maybe he's the guy, maybe not, the amount of time we've spent on him is irrelevant. If they think he has what it takes, move forward. If they don't think so, don't perpetuate the mistake by wasting more time.

_

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agree with everything here.

My main concern going forward is rebuilding this offensive line. It would appear that both guard positions need work (it's clear we should have picked Warford or/and Warmack), as well as the TE, and WR. Perhaps things would have been better had Holmes, Kerley, and Hazelton hadn't been injured, but, man, was this season tough to watch. Certainly, some of that falls on the circumstances, but a lot falls on Geno Smith. It's clear that he wasn't ready to start from day 1. But that's in the past.

It'll be interesting to see whether he rebounds from this year. Smith will definitely get a shot to win the job, albeit against some (hopefully) tough competition. It's my hope that coming into the '14 training camp, the kid still has that fire in the belly -- it will only make the team better.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Geno has thrown 21 picks in 380 attempts, while Eli threw 25 in 485 attempts.

Nicks has also been hurt, and is a shadow of his SB year self.

On top of that many of Eli's picks either were tipped or the defensive player outfought the Giants' receivers. Smith throws his ints right into the other team's players's numbers.

I am not saying I have come to the conclusion that Smith is a bust. But it is not the least bit complicated what is going on. He simply is not reading the defense, and with that frequently telegraphs where he is going to throw it by locking onto the receivers. He goes to the line knowing who his first optoin is, and he locks onto the receiver hoping to see if he's open. But he does not see what the defenders are doing and how they might break on the ball.

Can he overcome that with work in the off season? I don't know. But until he overcomes that problem, he will not be a competent NFL Qb.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno has basically mirrored the bad rookie seasons of the 2009 class. He's got some stats that are better (YPA, rushing yardage) and some that are worse (TD%) but basically he's having the same rookie season that Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman had.

We know how those guys worked out and so we have a range of possibilities for Geno that go from above average (Stafford) to unacceptable (Sanchez, Freeman). The odds are that Geno is not going to be the guy in 2 years when things have played out.

It's not set in stone though. He has a lot of work to do and the Jets have a bunch of talent to acquire before we're certain. My guess is that another QB will be among the talent pieces the Jets pick up.

#7078 Br4d, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  19. Mitch_Dumstein

Interesting article today about Elis horrible performance in 2013.

They described it as being the worst season for a quarterback since Mark Sanchez

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

geno isn't having enough positives though. Even Sanchez who was 12/20 his rookie year had 7 clean games. 15 of his INTs came in 5 games and 5 came over the other 10. Geno is bad on a weekly basis which is a monster difference. he doesn't have those moments often enough to make you think he has the talent to achieve anything solid.