If we win our last two...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

...would it be a positive sign for the future, or would it just be a false hope?

In '88, after we were eliminated from play-off contention, we won our last two and knocked the hated Giants out of the play-offs. We kept Walton around another year. Jets didn't see a winning record again until '97

If we win our last two, (most likely knocking the hated Dolphins out of the play-offs in the process), will that be a positive sign for the future? If we keep Rex around another year, will we just be ignoring the signs from our history?

2. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I just hope we beat the Phins to keep them out of the playoffs!!!!!!!!!

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think it says Cleveland and Miami kind of suck.

4. Endlessly Counting

As much as it pains me to say it, Miami may not suck this year

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If they add some pieces around what we already have then we can build on it.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

very different than 1988. #1 Rex is a really good HC, #2 that team was old and lacked talent, this team has some young talent to build around. #3 that was pre FA, took longer to rebuild and plug in holes.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hope we win the last two. I could careless about the draft positioning because it's such a crapshoot anyway, I just want to see this team win 2 in a row - as that's been so elusive.

I hope that these last two games mean nothing for Rex's job security though. If they keep him or Not, it better be because they looked at the whole picture and envision him as a major player in it or not. It shouldn't be about how he finishes 2 meaningless games to finish the season.

I also hope they win them the right way. As in taking the handcuffs off of Geno Smith. I realize that would probably result in losses, but I'd rather have that then wins where he's forced to play such a conservative game that we can't make any conclusions.

8. Endlessly Counting

This is something I would like to see

9. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Knock Miami out

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

This. Id love to end Miami's season. Mainly because they did it to the Mets 2 years in a row. 07-08. I thought that was as bad as it could get for Mets fans. Little did I know.

11. Endlessly Counting

For the old-timers...

Would knocking Miami out feel as good as knocking the Giants out did in '88?

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think it's a positive because it will mean that Geno played pretty well the last month of the season and we woudl have won 3 of our last 4 to end the season. If geno plays bad there is no way we win the next two. I think we also have some talent to build around especially on the DL. I also think Ivory can be a good RB for this team. It may also signal that all hope is not lost with Geno.

13. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

I have mixed feelings about Rex. He has certainly built a formidable defensive line. the linebackers are stout against the run but slow to the sidelines. The secondary is atrocious right now. Offensively...nothing. Rex has put his stamp on the draft picks, and he will always submit to the defensive side when drafting. Maybe the GM will step in assist Rex with the view that it also takes a proficient offense to consistently win in the NFL.

I would go with three out of the first four picks on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe, WR, TE, OG/OT. The TE has become such an important part of an offense. Our offensive line is getting old. WR, come on, Santonio Holmes is not a #1 receiver...he is a slot receiver.

Hopefully, we can get a productive defensive secondary player (SS/CB). If still available, a speed linebacker. If we can trade Sanchez and get some additional picks that would be the optimal situation. It makes no sense to me to keep this guy here next year.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

there is no way we can trade mark, everyone knows he will be released. we have a ton of picks and a ton of cap room. we should be able to fill plenty of holes or at least attempt to.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm good either way. I don't like cheering for a loss so a win is always welcome and we could keep the phins out which is always a bonus. On the flip side if we lose and get a better draft position might mean that someone that we could really use is available at our spot instead of snapped up before our choice. That or we can trade down to where we would have been with the two wins and get some additional compensation for it.

Since it's probably the worst case scenario possible I bet we beat the Browns and lose to the Phins which puts them in the playoffs and bumps us a spot or two out of the draft order and someone snags someone we could really have used (i.e. any high end offensive product) and we pick a DL or something stupid who ends up tearing an ACL or something during training camp and is out all year.

Edit: apologies for the negativity, not in the best mood today

16. kaboom

kaboom Member

Rather lose both at this point and get a better draft slot. The 2014 draft will be much more determinative as to our future success than 2 meaningless end of season games.

17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

It would be a false hope, because IMHO we don't have a QB of the future with Geno.

BUT I would want nothing more this season to go down to Miami and crush those asshole's dreams.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This

filler

19. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm with you 100%, with so many draft picks we need them as high as possible.

I hate the fish as much as anyone but is beating them worth missing out on a potential star player?

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Winning games is always positive, and beating divisional foes is even better.

hoping for higher draft positioning is simply a loser's mentality, and not what i'd ever want to see from my team.