The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Wilson is much more athletic than Manziel and has a much better arm, and Wilson plummeted on draft day because of his size too proving my point.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I want Evans, but I think the players on the Jets dont care much for Geno...I hope he can improve but Idzik may pull the trigger if Manziel is available. Woody may make that call.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[​IMG]

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wouldn't take him b/c he isn't good more than any other reason, his weak mind is just another reason.

I don't think you realize how athletic manziel is. Again, I am not 100% sold on him but watching more closely this year I feel much better about his chances than a year ago.

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with picking Manziel. I get there are possible issues both on and off the field with him but I think he'd be an improvement over Geno and has starter potential, maybe even franchise QB potential. He's no slam dunk guarantee, it might end up being a wasted first rounder, but it is worth the gamble IMO.

Draft Manziel if available and then sign/draft some WR/TE help so he's not coming in with nothing to work with like Geno. Cut Sanchez and Holmes, Geno defaults to backup I guess.

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

He's not nearly as athletic as Russel Wilson, Aside from Megatron, Russel Wilson may be the most athletic player in the NFL right now, Wilson has a better arm too. Manziel is a pimple faced poor mans Russel Wilson with a poor attitude, no way I take this guy 1st round.

As for Cutler not being good he was statistically much better than Sanchez each and every year, and you think Sanchez is better than Rivers too, so not really much to discuss as you're clearly an incurable Sanchez fanboy with little perspective.

#7026 dr.velociraptor, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  7. legler82

Why do people continue to compare Geno to first round draft picks, or in your case, guys drafted first overall? He is a 2nd round draft pick. Compare him to the likes of Clauson, Henne, White, Brohm, Kolb, Beck, Clemens, Jackson...etc for your recent negative examples or Dalton and Kaepernick for recent positive examples. Fair or unfair the fact is 2nd round QBs are simply not awarded the same lengthy leash as their first round counterparts. Regardless of how poorly he has played, Geno is EXTREMELY fortunate to have had the opportunity to start as many games as he has his rookie year. Most 2nd round QBs barely see the field their first year and if they do, they have to play well to stay on.

#7027 legler82, Dec 16, 2013
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Manziel is the perfect type of QB personality wise to match Rex Ryan...That Bravado, cocky attitude

9. legler82

Manziel is a tough one for me. I would be willing to overlook the height if he was the kind of model citizen and leader that Brees and Wilson are. But the size and the tude is too much for me to be comfortable drafting him in the first round.

10. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Does Manziel really have a bad attitude? What do his teammates have to say about him? Don't give me the NCAA nonsense.

11. legler82

He's probably a great teammate but perception is sometimes reality. If I'm going to draft a QB in the top half of the draft to be the face of my franchise, I would prefer he is squeaky clean. That's just me. That said; his talent is undeniable.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I want to stress this, I am not sold on Manziel but he is ridiculously athletic and has a good arm.

Statistically maybe but in reality no way. You can have the Cutler/Rivers types, I want to win playoff games not fantasy games. The difference in our 2009 div rd at SD was at QB, Rivers tried to do too much and had killer TOs.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would prob take Derek Carr, or David Fales (who would be available in the 3rd round or so). Carr has superior arm strength, and a quick release. Dude is also very mature and has been through a lot. Fales, other then Bridgewater is the most accurate QB of the draft - he has excellent ball placement. It reminds me a little of Chad Pennington

I love Manziel's attitude though, but I just don't know if his game would translate to the next level. He runs with reckless abandon, I think he still throws ducks every now and then. Manziel has questionable arm strength in my opinion, it is average at best. It could sail in our stadium.

#7033 101GangGreen101, Dec 16, 2013
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So you would have passed on Marino like the Jets did. Not comparing the two skill wise just saying.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not just first round picks- first OVERALL picks! Like Geno has anything in common with Aikman, Elway or Peyton. They were first overall picks because they were thought to be elite players, not some value pick in the second round.

They were given rope because of who they were, not because "rookie QBs struggle".

Guys have to stop comparing Geno to Aikman. Or Elway. Or Manning. It's intellectually dishonest.

_

16. JStokes

If this were any other team in any other city owned by any other owner I MIGHT agree with you.

But not the Jets. Not NY. Not Woody.

Woody is going to have a very hard time passing him up.

_

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd like to think Woody learned SOMETHING from the Tebow debacle..:mad:

18. legler82

Kordell Stewart
    Todd Collins
    Tony Banks
    Jake Plummer
    Charlie Batch
    Shaun King
    Quincy Carter
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Drew Brees
    Kellen Clemens
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Kevin Kolb
    John Beck
    Drew Stanton
    Brian Brohm
    Chad Henne
    Pat White
    Jimmy Clausen
    Andy Dalton
    Brock Osweiler
    Geno Smith

Above is the list of QBs drafted the 2nd round for past 20 years. From this list I think only Banks, Dalton and Geno got an opportunity to start a full slate of games. Dalton put up solid numbers while Banks was bad (but not as bad as Geno). If Banks was as bad as Geno, he would likely have been pulled. This is just some perspective to show how rare of an opportunity Geno has been given. 90+% of the guys on this list, most of the QBs drafted later and even a small number of guys drafted higher would have killed for the same opportunity.

19. legler82

Don't know. My football knowledge in 83 was not what it is now. What was Marino's deal coming out?

20. JStokes

I'd like to think you'd learn something from all of Woody's shenanigans :grin:

_