FAs the Jets Should Consider

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2013.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's still early, but since names of FA QBs, WRs, TEs and the like are increasingly popping up in threads, I thought I'd go ahead and create a list of FAs that I'd like to see the Jets sign from among. I don't claim to be an expert on players on other teams, so I welcome feedback if you think some of these guys aren't that good or good fits with the Jets, as well as any names you'd like to see added.

As my reference for whose available, I use the NFL Trade Rumors list of all NFL FAs by position ( http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents/ ).

QB
    Shaun Hill - Lions ($2.4M)
    Josh McCown - Bears ($840K)
    Derek Anderson - Panthers ($840K)

I'd be surprised if any of the three are really available, as I think each of their present teams should do everything they can to retain them, but don't know about the cap problems the Lions, Bears or Panthers may or may not have, so I've listed the ones I'd like.

RB
    Ben Tate - Texans ($630K)

I think the Jets have much greater needs and the RB position, while it is more important with Rex as HC than it is with perhaps most HCs in the league, isn't as important as it once was. If they do sign one, Tate is the guy I'd like to see them sign.

WR
    Golden Tate - Seahawks ($630K)
    Jeremy Maclin - Eagles ($3.2M)
    James Jones - Packers ($2.95M)
    Eric Decker - Broncos ($1.32M)
    Brandon LaFell - Panthers ($1.35M)
    Ted Ginn, Jr. - Panthers ($750K)
    Dexter McCluster - Chiefs ($630K)
    Riley Cooper - Eagles ($630K)

The Jets' biggest area of need. Thankfully, there are a lot of guys here to choose from and quite a few on the long list of FA WRs could help the Jets upgrade their WR corps. There's not really a true #1 WR, but unless those guys have injury histories or serious off-the-field issues, they never become FAs anyway. I'd like to see the Jets re-sign Josh Cribbs as a WR/KR, but if not Ted Ginn, Jr. or Dexter McCluster would add some speed and play-making ability as a WR and KR. I think McCluster also may return punts. At James Jones cost and age (29), he wouldn't be all that desirable, as he'd only be a stopgap for a few years.

TE
    Brandon Pettigrew - Lions ($1.95M)
    Dennis Pitta - Ravens ($2.02M)
    Jermichael Finley - Packers ($4.45M)
    Scott Chandler - Bills ($2.05M)

Unfortunately, the list of FA TEs isn't nearly as good. Finley (26) has the most ceiling, but health is an issue and he's never lived up to his billing with Rodgers throwing to him. Signing Pitta would help weaken the Ravens and he's a solid TE, but he's 28. Pettigrew is pretty good, but again, I think never fully reached his potential and he's 28. Scott Chandler (28) isn't all that, but he has made a number of big catches vs the Jets, has great size (6'7", 260 lbs.), it would possibly hurt the Bills, and he would certainly be an upgrade over Reuland. It would certainly help to sign a vet, but as the long-term answer, they're going to have to find one in the draft.

OG
    Jon Asamoah - Chiefs ($1.32M)
    John Greco - Browns ($715K)
    Zane Beadles - Broncos ($630K)

I left off some older, yet still productive players like Brian Waters and Wade Smith off the list because I'd like to see the Jets add someone younger who can play for a while. Asamoah is only 25. Greco is 28. Beadles is 27. Waters is 36. Smith is 32.

OLB
    Brian Orakpo - Redskins ($2.81M)
    Jason Worrilds - Steelers ($630K)
    O'Brien Schofeld - Seahawks (depth) ($630K)
    Jo-Lonn Dunbar - Rams (if the Jets switch to a 4-3 base) ($1.3M)

I don't think Orakpo would cost a lot, is only 27 and would be a HUGE addition to the Jets' front 7. For his level of production, he's not making that much presently. He would definitely give them one of the best front 7s in the game. Worrilds would probably be cheaper thank Orakpo and is a couple of years younger (25). Dunbar is 28, but a solid OLB if Rex is fired and the new DC switches to a 4-3 base.

CB
    Sam Shields - Packers ($2.02M)
    Alterraun Verner - Titans ($1.32M)
    Vontae Davis - Colts ($1.86M)

I'm not sure who among these play more man-to-man vs zone, or who may be good in playing press coverage, but I think these are the top CBs available. If the Jets cut Cro, they could sign one of these guys. Any of the latter 2 would be nice in that they'd weaken other AFC teams. Brent Grimes - Dolphins ($2.73M) would be an excellent stop gap for a year or two. Notable is that I didn't include Aqib Talib. He is a very good player, but a headcase and cancer and not worth the trouble.

S
    Jairus Byrd (FS) - Bills ($6.92M)
    Kendrick Lewis (FS) - Chiefs ($1.32M)
    Hussain Abdullah (FS) - Chiefs ($715K)
    Quentin Demps (SS) - Chiefs ($715K)
    T.J. Ward (SS) - Browns ($630K)
    James Ihedigbo (SS) - Ravens ($715K)
    Chris Maragos (FS) - Seahawks ($1.32M)
    Chris Clemons (SS) - Dolphins ($6M)

Jairus Byrd would require a HUGE contract, and I'm not sure Idzik is the type to try to make a big splash in FA, but Byrd would be a HUGE addition. He's the only true ballhawking FS available in FA. Some of the others are starters for good Ds, but have few, if any, interceptions in their careers. I didn't put him on the list due to his age, but if the Jets were looking for a one-year stop gap, Ryan Clark (34) of the Steelers wouldn't be too bad. I always like Ihedigbo and never thought the Jets should have let him go. He's a great blitzer, is fast, and has developed into a quality SS. I'd love to see them steal him away from the Ravens.

I'm not sure how many FAs Idzik will look to sign and how much he'll have available to spend. That will depend on what he does with players like Holmes, Sanchez, Cro, Harris, Colon, Vlad, and their other FAs.

I know I'm dreaming, but think adding the following players would be huge. If it's possible (I think that it could be if some of the Jets' pricier vets are cut), Based on their current salaries plus and expected bump, I guesstimate (but could be way off) that they'd cost approximately $20-25 million in 2014. The rub would be future years. Even adding just 4 or 5 of these guys should make a big difference in the team's performance.

QB - Shaun Hill
    WR - Golden Tate, Jeremy Maclin
    TE - Brandon Pettigrew
    OG - Jon Asamoa
    OLB - Brian Orakpo or Jason Worrilds
    FS - Kendrick Lewis or Chris Maragos
    SS - James Ihedigbo or T.J. Ward

#1 NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

If Orakpo hits the open market he'll 10 million a year

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

We won't get both Tate and Maclin. I'd prefer Tate, Maclin is more injury-prone. Why would he leave Seattle? It's a fair question to ask, they are paying Wilson next to nothing right now so they have the money to sign him most likely.

Maclin is talented, but the injury history scares me.

Brandon LaFell might be a solid option. Tall, fast, and looks good whenever I watch the Panthers. He has not gotten a lot of league-wide acclaim, I think he could be had for something reasonable. He could be paired with a 1st round WR draft pick as the starters for next season in theory with Kerley in the slot.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is true. Trying to base FA signings off what they make currently is very short sighted.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Browns will throw a lot of money at Ben Tate. Plus what's wrong with Ivory?

6. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Tate and Verner.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Agree and I would also be interested in maclin and golden Tate.

8. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Golden Tate. Riley Cooper could be interesting, just like Maclin knows the offense.

As for TE, Chandler could be helpful huge body I've seen him make great catches.

Ward from Cle, doubt they left him go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I want to see Ivory do it for 16 games. Tate is the better and more complete RB. Ivory has been good in small doses but too sporadic. I'm not saying he's a bust, because he's been ok, but I have my doubts. We can def use another RB.

Tate and Riley Cooper would be a big upgrade.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What makes you think this? Just asking, nothing against what you want. I've never seen him do particularity well in pass-blocking or catching the football out of the back-field and making people miss?

We need a good pass catching back, that I agree with. Why can't the Jets just draft De'anthony Thomas from Oregon who is miles better at catching the football and is a hell of a play-maker?

Ben Tate will be too expensive.

11. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

Maclin, Worilds, and Asomoah. That allows us to target TE, WR, or CB in the first round.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's surprisingly shifty and he's got 30+ catches this year which is decent considering the time share with Foster for a few games.

I agree about the black mamba, Thomas. If the Jets could get him then make it happen. Him and Watkins are the most explosive playmakers in this draft IMO.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Tate, Pettigrew, Verner, Asamoah and Hill all have my interest.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Dont people think Tate will demand a huge contract? I doubt we pay him. Id rather get Decker or James Jones for cheaper.

Also I was interested in Pettigrew but after reading what Lions fans think about him they seem to hate the guy. Apparently has awful hands.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Asomoa would be a huge signing for us. It wouldnt garner a huge headline, but it could really help this offensive line. He could jump in at guard and play there for the next 5-6 years. He'd certainly help solidify the inside. If we can resign Howard, and Winters improves as well, addressing the OL through the draft isnt a huge priority, and we can target skill players.

I think we should cut Cro at this point, and any one of the 3 corners you named could be a huge help. They would probably come on a contract between 6-9 mil per year.

For WR, I would try and target Tate or Decker. Either one would be a huge upgrade.

We have the money for 3 signings like this, and it would definitely help fill out the roster. If we add a WR through the draft, a TE and maybe a QB, we could be looking a lot better heading into 2014. We should have about 40 mil in cap space, Asomoa, Decker and Verner could cost about 20 million total.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

There's no way in hell we are going CB in the 1st.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think he'd come cheaper than Decker. Decker's production is better, and he has much better size. I do like Tate, but Id say Decker is the #1 WR in FA this offseason.

18. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

I don't see Decker being in any way cheap...

19. NCJetsfan

I have no idea what Seattle's cap space is like, but I think they have quite a few FAs, and I think a number of them are starters. They may not have the money to pay everyone.

Yes, Maclin has an injury history. That's why we might be able to get him fairly cheaply. When you sign a player like that, there's always a risk. You weigh the potential pluses against the minuses. Sometimes players go through a period of getting injured, then for whatever reason get healthy and don't have that problem any more. If the price is right he might be a very good addition since he knows MM's system and is a high character type. Then again, after the problem he had this season with Garrard, Goodson and perhaps another FA or two, he may be hesitant to sign a player like that, although Laron Landry stayed healthy for us last year and to date, Ivory has stayed healthy once he got over his early season hammy issues.

#19 NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2013
  20. NCJetsfan

I didn't say what I think any one player would get, just the group aggregate, and even said something to the extent that I could be way off, which evidently I was. Fair enough. I just listed their current salaries as a frame of reference, not as any indicator of what I think they will get. Of course a young FA signing his second contract is gonna get a fairly large bump if he's been any good at all. Excellent players like Orakpo are gonna get an even larger bump, although coming off a major injury, Orakpo might be cheaper than he otherwise would have been.

This wasn't supposed to be a comprehensive financial analysis, just a starting point for discussion. I made no claim that I was a cap or contract expert.

#20 NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2013