Cromartie can't cover any one

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gsulli5861, Dec 8, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Now we get a 2014 preview of what life will be like without Cro. Hopefully, Walls starts in place of him.

2. legler82

I'd rather go after a guy like Corey Graham in FA.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Dee Millner will be forced to cover Steve Smith and Walls will cover Ted Ginn or who ever is the third WR.Its a nightmare

4. legler82

You act as though this year's version of Cro covering either of those 2 would be any better. At this point I rather have Milliner and Walls out there. I would have Walls on S. Smith as he has the better short area quickness out of the 2 and Milliner who has the better long speed on Ginn.

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Cro was getting burned anyway. Let's see what Walls can do. I don't think he looked that bad when he was starting. Milliner has been playing better so I think he should be able to at least keep Steve Smith under control. They don't exactly have any other receivers who are "scary." Cam is the only player on their offense who scares me.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You are on to something here.

BTW, those physical safeties that others are talking about are strong safeties. You could easily move Cro to Free and his range would add at LEAST another 4 - 5 years to his career...easily. Barring health of course. That's a good idea. That's how Charles Woodson has stayed in the league so long.

7. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I would also like to see Walls play more now. As badly as Cromartie has been playing this year, Walls can't possibly be any worse, and at least with him, you got a young guy getting experience and hopefully improving. Walls seems to be the best corner on the team right now in terms of staying with receivers and having the quickness to follow their moves and changes in direction, but where he isn't very good is using his hands and jumping to contest the balls coming into receivers hands. Still that's better than the 10 yard cushions Cromartie and Milliner have been giving receivers lately.

As far as Cromartie, am I the only one who thinks he was always very overrated? Certainly he has played better than this year previously, but people always mentioned him as one of the best cornerbacks in the league, and I never saw that. He always had issues with quickness and changes of direction, where smaller receivers ran circles around him. He was good against a certain type of receiver (like a Randy Moss) who just ran fast and straight and was big. Cromartie's straight line speed and height, as well as long arms helped him defend those types of guys, but otherwise he was very mediocre, and also was always a bad tackler.

8. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Cro had a good stretch after revis went down last year,

Besides that, his entire tenure here has been very mediocre.

He's so animated everytime his receiver doesn't catch the ball(even it's overthrown and he had no impact on the play), that people give him way more credit than he deserves.

9. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Cant tackle....it is ugly to watch.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's the 1st thing I thought..... he may be built like Ed Reed, but he tackles like Deion Sanders.

anyway, in regards to this weeks game, S. Smith would be a nightmare matchup for Cro anyway. He can cover the rangy "long striders" but shifty quick route runners like smith = burned repeatedly, even if only for short yardage so....... I'm hoping Rex comes up with some clever Zone this weekend or it may be ugly, unless Walls finds that early season lightning in the bottle again. :shit:

#50 stinkyB, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The man been hurt most of the year.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, it's mostly due to injury, but I think Cro will stay and take a pay cut after this year. If not, we'll have to go corner hunting. I'd prefer to keep him around, and develop more young guys around him, but I just wish he'd stop dropping interceptions. He's been dropping picks over the past 2 years, some that could have been game sealing (Patriots 2012). He gets his hands on a lot of balls, but can never make that game changing play. It's funny, though. Because of Revis, people expect our other corners to play at a similar level or they "can't cover anyone", but it's unrealistic expectations. The simple truth is, a large portion of #1 corners in the league get burned for touchdowns on a weekly basis. Cro is performing badly because the injury has slowed him down, but a lot of it is exaggerated because we're used to having a shutdown corner, which is a big rarity.

#52 Barcs, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

His struggles is a blessing in disguise. He is clearly injured, he would have gotten PAID off of last year. His stock has dropped now, he will have a big year next year, he will be underpaid to.

14. legler82

Man for a guy that at his best holds without getting caught and can't tackle, Cro sure gets a lot of love from Jets fans.

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

People seem to keep forgetting this. Even hurt, he's still been the best CB on the roster. And no, Walls hasn't been the best. He just did a good job of stepping in towards the end of games after opponents have been tired out.