The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I just told you, I'm going to save everyone the headache of beating a dead horse over and over so I'm not going to dig up the arguments you, I, and everyone knows you made.

You are making yourself a martyr already. I never said right now that by not labeling Mark as the worst QB ever you are calling him the greatest. I never said right now that you are attacking Geno either.

I'm just simply saying you are much harder on Geno Smith than you ever were on Mark Sanchez.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

TB- fumbled to set up TB TD inside 5 yd line, threw INT, led O to 16 pts. that was good?

Buf- had good #s but his TOs and failures allowed Buf to get back in a game they had no business being in.

Pats- had some good moments but threw an INT for TD deep in NE territory that cost us AT LEAST 3 pts if not 7 so that was a 10-14 pt swing and when we need to make plays late we didn't allow Geno ton throw.

NO- he did nothing all game, he had les than 10 completions and they were mostly screens. the best thing he did was not turn it over.

3. nyjunc

Instead of the song and dance just say you can't do it and move along. if you don't like my educated opinions then don't read them and miss out.

I judge them equally, just as I said certain games weren't all on Mark I do the same w/ geno. Our D stunk against Miami though it went largely unnoticed b/c of how bad Geno was. That has happened w/ mark too, I still bashed mark I just didn't put all the blame on him.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I'm counting TB, BUF (yeah two picks, but a great vertical game too where he made a big play where it mattered) vs NE, and OAK as good games. he did what he needed too in all of these even if he made mistakes, not excellent but good. the only outlier is vs NO... that was just mediocre and mostly ineffectual, but then it was pick free so... maybe?

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

TB- Geno also threw a TD to Winslow and was responsible for a late game winning drive, even if David helped him mightily....Geno's feet put him and our team in that spot to reap the rewards. This was against a Bucs team that was 0-0 and had and still has a pretty respectful defense unlike the Raiders D was just saw. Our OLine got whooped all game long by the Bucs DLine, I blame them more than Geno for the fumble....QBs should not be getting whacked like that on their blindside.

BUF- No blame that on our defense in the 3rd, in particular Kyle Wilson and our inability to stay away from penalties. 20 penalties? Vlad had what? 3 holding penalties in one drive? I think this game sealed Vlad's fate for starting along with the Titans game.

We lost the lead in the 4th, Geno got called upon and picked on Rogers as any team should and made plays to get us the win and put Manuel and the Bills in rough spots.

NE- It was a pick 6 but is that one throw really going to outweigh the good he had in the game? He outplayed Tom Brady in this game as funny as that sounds. We ran it on them late because they got fatigued(No Kelly, Talib, Mayo, Wilfork) and it bold well for Ivory to pound it on them not because Geno was inept.

NO- Screwed over by poor routes by Hill(Fact he was our no.1 WR this game after Kerley went out was scary) most notably by his last throw, Kerley was lost in this game so our gameplan of passing took a hit directly in game and Geno's feet caused a TD that we needed in this game.

#6585 BakerMaker, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Mitch_Dumstein

Well to be correct, in his 4th year as an NFL starter Suck didn't even manage to win six whereas a mere rook has already won 6 with 3 games still remaining.

The ONE most positive aspect of this entire rebuild season is that Suck has thrown his last pick 6 as a Jet

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mediocre is the term you use when he had an ok game but for whatever reason you don't want to label it an ok game.

Again, arguing with Junc will get you nowhere. The context and definition of the argument shift seamlessly as he changes his criteria depending on what position he's defending. It's a weak debate tactic that is used to avoid ceding ground while you look for another argument to support your position.

The thing about Junc is that his positions never change. He will not admit error or defeat even when the facts have turned solidly against him. This rigidity is what makes him a bad debater despite his endless enthusiasm for the positions he stakes out.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan said "Everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion but nobody is entitled to their own facts." Junc feels entitled to to his own facts.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

2012 was such a throwaway year for the entire team. I was hoping to see progress form 2011 to 2012 but the entire team was a mess starting from the hiring of Sporano to the trade of Tebow to the non stop injuries.

But 4 playoff wins - defense and running, luck, every win from 2009-2011 - luck, defense, running, he was just along for the ride.

If 2012 was Schotty again with and consistency with receivers/running backs and he played like he did I would agree he is a lost cause but 2012 was awful for everyone. Who watched the play calling last season and said will with an elite QB this would be a prolific offense?

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno was responsible for 3 wins - Oakland, Buffalo and Atlanta. Again, posters are missing key points in their respective argument. I'm not calling just you out, as it seems other posters continue to do the same thing.

Why do Jet fans continue to leave out important factors in their argument to sound relevant?

11. nyjunc

decent QB play against TB and we easily win, we don't need a late game penalty to set up a long FG.

The penalties hurt but so did the TOs.

that pick 6 was awful(not that any are good), costing us pts and adding pts to NE. The D was great getting us back in it and Geno played well in the 2nd half but when it was winning time all geno did was hand off.

stop w/ poor routes, the coaching staff clearly didn't trust him as every pass was a screen and he barely threw the ball.

except this team is better coached and has more talent. if mark was our QB this year we'd be a playoff team.

always afraid to debate me but never afraid to talk about/attack me.

Gutless but I understand, after years of getting thrashed I can't blame you though it is gutless.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

SHotty was fired because Sanchez melted down the stretch of 2011. At 8 and 5 we lost 3 in a row with Sanchez having 2, 2 and a 3 INT games. If Sanchez doesn't melt down and we beat Philadelphia and Miami, even after the Giant fiasco the team is 10 and 6, makes the playoffs and Shotty doesn't get canned.

13. The 1985er

Plus one of them had to go. We needed to see who was the problem was it Schotty's play calling, or Sanchez himself.

14. The 1985er

As for Geno he did look shaky at first but after the touchdown pass he began to play better. He seemed confident and was comfortable. Hopefully he builds on this going forward.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

An actual running game(Though I blame our OLine more for this) and a healthy Ivory/Holmes and we easily win. Also doesn't help that the Freeman to Jackson near TD completion was only the beginning of this team's misery...says it all that a LB(Davis) is the one who stopped Jackson from the TD that would have sealed the deal most likely. We were lucky with the Bucs ineptitude with the mistakes early on, how we let Freeman have any kind of a game like he did in the 2nd half was laughable.

The plays Geno did make certainly din't hurt though. He made far many more good plays than bad vs the Bills that game.

Our defense blew plays that Brady didn't capitalize on like the Gronk throw and the Dobson one. Brady bailed em out both games this year from looking worse then what they would have. We'll take it though. Geno made a throw here or there in the OT session....it wasn't ALL Ivory though he was absolutely the work horse.

You stop with excusing Stephen Hill on his ineptitude on that field. The guy isn't even a no.3 WR at this point and time but was our go to WR for that game vs NO. The coaching staff trusted him enough to make plays on his feet which helped our big time this game.

#6595 BakerMaker, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was called out repeatedly by players such as Favre and Holmes. The play-calling was awful and he failed to get our offense in rhythm.

Not sure I put all of that on Sanchez. Sanchez was already injured I believe and shell-shocked. Jason Babin destroyed Mark Sanchez that game as well if you remember.

We lost to Philly also because Holmes turned the ball over constantly and we couldn't stop the run. Miami was just a mess completely - the pressure of the team caused the team to implode completely.

17. nyjunc

Neither were the problem and we have seen that since they left.

TB did a great job against the run but plays where there to be made in the pass game. The D held TB to 17 pts and scored on a safety. Geno's fumble set TB up inside our 5.

he kept Buf in the game, he made plays to win 2 but he kept them in a game that should have been a blowout.

I don't excuse Hill, he has been bad but that's not why we threw nothing but screens and didn't trust Geno.

The D gave us no chance against Philly

w/ us leading 7-3 and your team 3rd and 10 from their 1 our D allowed a 99 yd TD to completely change the season for both our Jets and your Giants.

By the Miami game we were done, neither O or D showed up.

18. The 1985er

According to the majority one of them was the problem.

19. nyjunc

majority doesn't equal right, the majority are average fans who evaluate based on fantasy #s.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Aside from his running, can you guys think of one signature throw of Geno's that gave you a flash of a potential franchise QB?