The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Finally a good game, it was great to see. he looked so much more confident out there though he was throwing to holmes on that first TD and got lucky Kerley was in the area to snatch it or it could have been picked.

very pleased to see signs of progress again. This wee we will need his best game to have a chance.

2. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

It is amazing to see how well a rookie QB can play when an offensive line (which actually didn't play that great today) plays the best it has in a month and the WRs and TEs actually get open.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He played better but it was against the Raiders... The same team another young QB tuned up for 7 T.D's already this season and the same team that hasn't won a game on the East Coast since 2009.

We will see how he finishes but I'm not putting much stock in this win as far as the future of the QB position goes.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He also tied Sanchez's mark for INTs at 20.

_

5. nyjunc

The OL played the same yesterday as they had in recent weeks

6. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Winters is still a total liability.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, my problem with taking too much away from yesterday's game is that the Raiders were awful for hte most part. The exceptions were their third string RB was getting some good runs, and Streater is a real talent. I also think they might have something in McGloin, who is obviously better than Smith and Sanchez. But the CS, their pass D, the lack of urgency on O as noted by Gannon, all were just flat out awful. I have to assume the HC will be fired this off season.

As for Smith he didn't impress me yesterday. He had some good throws but for the most part the receivers he hit were wide open. Rather telling was his miss on what should have been an easy pass to Bohanon. On the other hand the missed TD to Holmes was one Holmes should have had. That was nice.

So he played better, but not enough to inspire confidence.

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

You nailed it and are the voice of reason! Some say that its fraudulent to say that the offensive players surrounding Geno have been terrible or missing in action and at practices. Well guess what? As you said when they showed up so did our rookie QB. Some here are just full of it when it comes to Geno or any QB who presents a threat to their favorite QB.

9. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Were you watching the Jets in recent weeks? Yesterday the middle of the OL seemed to work better together in recent weeks. At LT BRICK did not allow too many pressures either yesterday. Winters was better but not great. Perhaps its due to the Raiders talent level that we looked better on the OL then in the recent past. Next week will be a supreme test. Carolina has tremendous speed on defense.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are three sides to this issue though.

1. The guys who hated Geno from day one (BUST) and will not be satisfied with anything except superior play that they can't argue about from a rookie QB.

2. The guys who like Mark Sanchez and hate the fact that he didn't have a real opportunity moving forward with the Jets. Geno gets hate because he's standing between Sanchez and a possible return.

3. The guys who don't like most of what they have seen out of Geno's play this year and do not believe he can recover from that to be a good NFL QB.

Category 1 are probably lost causes. They decided right away that Geno was not the answer and the level of play he will have to show to change their minds is likely to be above his reach unless he turns out to be a top 5 talent which is exceedingly unlikely at this point.

Category 2 will move on when Sanchez moves on, either figuratively as the reality of the Jets QB not being Sanchez settles in or literally to go root for him wherever he winds up.

Category 3 just needs to see Geno looking like an NFL QB on a sustained basis. They'll come around if he comes around. That's a next season proposition because there's nothing he can do in the final 3 this year to change anybody's mind about him.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Here's one for all you people claiming it is not because he has lacked talent at WR:

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other stat you need to put up alongside that is where the pass defenses he faced in those 4 games rank. I'm going to guess they are lower on the totem pole but that's just a guess.

The point you make is a good one though. No QB is going to do well without a fair amount of NFL talent as his receiving options. The Jets have only had NFL talent across the field at WR when Holmes and Kerley were available to play.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Tennessee, and Oakland.

Middle of the pack to very good on certain passing defensive stats.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those four games in question. 3-1 record. Tampa W (11th best Pass D), Tennessee L (18th best pass D), 1st Buffalo game W (23rd Best Pass D) and Oakland W (26th best Pass D)

That's a meh statistic. 4 games isn't enough to come to any conclusion, especially since 2 of them were against poor pass Ds and one was a blowout in which he was able to get some garbage stats late.

15. nyjunc

that is mostly based on Buf and Oak and Buf was depleted.

I'd be ok w/ geno's #s going down but he has looked clueless 80% of the season. I agree he'd be much better if we were fully healthy but that's not an excuse to look as lost as he looked most of the last 2 months.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Got to give management credit for sticking to their guns. Geno gets Kerley back and looks like he has a future. If Holmes doesn't drop a beautiful throw the kid has a very good stat line to go with a well managed game.

Oakland hung around long enough where a mistake by Geno could have cost us. He didn't. Good game, something to build on.

This team has one quality WR and when he's in Geno plays pretty well.

17. nyjunc

Kerley has played in the following games:

TB
    Buf
    at ten
    at Atl
    Pit
    NE
    at Cin
    NO
    Oak

Geno played well vs. Buf, at Atl and vs. Oak.

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

what about this game? I'm sorry beyond his pick was he poor vs the Pats at the meadowlands?

why are people writing that off as a poor outing?

19. nyjunc

it's hard to overlook that pick, it cost us at least 3 pts and gave the other team 10. That is a 10-14 pt swing. He was ok besides that play. when it came time to win we took the ball out of his hands and pounded NE w/ the run game- that should tell you something.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Biggs,

I tend to respect your opinions, and am frankly encouraged that you see upside in Smith. But I am struggling with it, and am more skeptical. As much as I agree Kerley is a player, and it was evident that his return helped, one could as easily redraft your second sentence into he gets to play a woeful Oakland team and looks like he has a future.

He also had at least two balls dropped by Oakland defenders in addition to the int that occurred.There were two key passes, one he completed that was not so impressive, while other he did not complete was. The first was the heave that Kerley came down with, and I have to assume Oakland fans are crying as I write this that their defenders were so inept on that play. The other was the ball Holmes should have caught.

Speaking of Holmes, and despite that drop, he is an NFL quality receiver in addition to Kerley, even if one thinks of him as overpaid.

As for hanging around and the risk of him making a mistake, I thought the game situation and playcalling in the second half greatly minimized that. The running game was working and the Jets were ahead, as much as anything due to ineptitude by Oakland and in particular the blocked punt and TD. That is what took all the pressure of Smith in the second half.

In short I hope you are right about Smith, but I can't get too excited about beating a problem filled Oakland team.